Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: PS4 and the future of gaming  (Read 20103 times)

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 and the future of gaming
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 01:25:08 AM »

@MrDavidoff "New tech"? The setup the PS4 is going to be using is mostly OLD tech. It's going to be using a x86-64 architecture or w/e (I know i typo'd that word) Meaning the PS4's hardware is going more to the PC direction yet the hardware it's using is CRAP. It's CRAP compared to the latest stuff a normal consumer with for example 2000€ monthly pay can buy. I cant understand why wont they have a major upgrade for the system instead of lagging behind and preventing the PC from going further in gaming.

Meh.... It may sound like i know what i'm talking about but make no mistake about it... i dont. XD

-Sandremo

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:16 AM »

snip
x86-64 is what modern PCs use. 8GB of GDDR5 is pretty much impossible to get on a modern day system -I forgot completely but I know SLI does not add memory but CrossfireX does I believe, but without running quadfire 78XX series you'll be running 12GB on 79XX. A 2 teraflop GPU is half as powerful as my GPU, but my GPU probably costs as much as a PS4. GDDR5 ain't cheap too.

It's pretty powerful to be honest, and certainly pwns a lot of low level PCs.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

snip
x86-64 is what modern PCs use. 8GB of GDDR5 is pretty much impossible to get on a modern day system -I forgot completely but I know SLI does not add memory but CrossfireX does I believe, but without running quadfire 78XX series you'll be running 12GB on 79XX. A 2 teraflop GPU is half as powerful as my GPU, but my GPU probably costs as much as a PS4. GDDR5 ain't cheap too.

It's pretty powerful to be honest, and certainly pwns a lot of low level PCs.

Like i said it might have sounded that i know what i'm talking about but i dont. XD Anyway i was just passing on stuff that i heard...

... I was about to continue that sentence but i guess i wont since i forgot what i was about to say. Oh well better this way i always lose debates anyway. XD

-Sandremo

PS: Anybody guessing what's is the price tag going to be for the PS4? 599 dollars for PS3 when it was first released if i remember correctly... all in all i'm not willing to pay 600 dollars or euros for a pure gaming console. PC is a diffirent story since you can do other stuff besides play video games on it (DUH!)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:28:10 AM by Sandremo »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »

Purely off topic, Sandremo, your avatar waves its fingers 2.6 times a second. "aprox" :o some epic gaming software right there with that speed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:48:28 PM by ValkyriaL »

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »

I just can wait for unreal 4 to come out for this  :D

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »

Purely off topic, Sandremo, your avatar waves its fingers 2.6 times a second. "aprox" :o some epic gaming software right there with that speed.

Um.... wait what? XD

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »

@MrDavidoff "New tech"? The setup the PS4 is going to be using is mostly OLD tech. It's going to be using a x86-64 architecture or w/e (I know i typo'd that word) Meaning the PS4's hardware is going more to the PC direction yet the hardware it's using is CRAP.

***, please... -  :D
(no offence to you, just felt stylish to use the word like that  ;) )

Dont think PS 4 and the term "future of gaming" goes well together for me.  :-\

Sure its nice that the "tech" inside the boxes has moved a bit, but if everything I read is true, not by much.

And if these are meant to be consoles for next decade, god help us...

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 04:19:15 AM »

@MrDavidoff: None taken. XD

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »

Can i just say that i just realized that your name is MrDavidoff not MicDavidoff

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »

@MrDavidoff: None taken. XD

More on the topic, I would like Sony and MS to tell us how long do they expect this generation of consoles to last. I mean, if it was.. say three, five years, that would be optimal.
(optimist, however very unlikely..)
Another 10+ period doesnt really look that good, with the current setup.
(thats being a pesimist)
On the other hand porting should be easier, so heres hoping ports for pcs will improve because of that.
(optimist..)
However if pc gaming will not look as lucrative to the Devs and Distributors.. i dont have high hopes for that, again its about the people who will work on that..
(being an pesimist :p )

However another longish period of outdated consoles may sway more players to switch to pc gaming, making preasure for demand of better tech and even on consoles..
(no, not pc elitist, just thinking out loud)

Can i just say that i just realized that your name is MrDavidoff not MicDavidoff

:D

MicDavidoff

I probably shoult TM that.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »

Well I recently saw the GTX Titan and, well, I had a mini orgasm lol, such a huge advancement in technology. But it's rather expensive at a whopping £800!, I spent less overall on my computer lol
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

blamatron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »

in history class today we learned that the old IBM office PC setups in the 80's cost $50,000 for 250k of memory.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »

I just love technology :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »

In the 1970s a one gig hard drive weighed about 314 newtons (around 32 Kg or 70 lbs) and cost as much as a small car :P on this subject, look up "Adam Savage's man cave bits and bytes" or something like that it is very cool and talks about all of this retro stuff :)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »

Well I recently saw the GTX Titan and, well, I had a mini orgasm lol, such a huge advancement in technology. But it's rather expensive at a whopping £800!, I spent less overall on my computer lol
It's not really an advancement at all, it's just Nvidia being lazy and deciding it wants to put it's Tesla cores into a gaming graphics card. The tech behind it is designed for huge amounts of precision and GPGPU compute, not cloaking Prophet as he runs through Manhattan. If you want to see some real advancement, check out TressFX - they could kick a lot more life into Radeon if they start to really grasp the power of Directcompute in GCN, it's pretty much PhysX but will run on your GPU rather than a chip on the PCB - that's advancement. Nvidia's just almost all round lazy and money grabbing right now - and they're being really stupid. Let's make an £800-1000 card that runs quiet and cool in order to beat the £300-500 7970 which eats our £400-600 GTX 680 for breakfast! But this card is going to be more expensive than a GTX 690 which beats it in all circumstances! YAY! And we haven't even dealt with the fact our 660Ti competes with the 7950 or the 670 competes with the 7970 even though they both get their asses royally kicked by them!
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5