Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: PS4 and the future of gaming  (Read 20188 times)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 and the future of gaming
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:41 AM »

Well, here is footage from E3, killzone 4 on ps4.

Nothing today's PC couldn't do, but it's definately a huge step-up. Plus, as we get better at coding it, imagine the graphics will look like then. Hell, look back at the first PS3 and Xbox 360 games, and look back to now. Hopefully, we won't get the huge periods of waiting inbetween each console. Please.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:50 AM »

x86 processor means the ports of console games will probably not be ports but full versions
8GB of GDDR5 is pointless but it is an APU
Enhanced PC GPU means nothing unless we know what it is
The Unreal Engine 4 demo is pretty cool, but remember that when first demoed in real time it was running on a GTX 570 - as was Star Citizen's real time demo, which is two year old tech now (Fermi/GF110) so I don't know
Games looked really quite nice, though we cannot be sure how much was pre rendered and how much was real time
It's difficult to say exactly what the graphics were comparable to, Panta Rhei for instance looked somewhat similar to a heavily modded and ENB equipped Skyrim
inFamous YAY
no WipEout NAY
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 07:05:43 AM »

Saw an article which stated an Ivy Bridge i7 has 1400% more processing power than the PS4 (comparing processors which are not the only factor in total speed/power but it is certainly a good indicator)

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 07:08:22 AM »

I'm glad that these new consoles are coming out now. They've been holding us back for too long now in the graphics department.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 02:36:45 AM »

I remember reading a post where someone said that "I dont care about consoles"... and the thing is you should. I'm not good at analyzing stuff but i did watch a video from a guy who's way better doing it than i am and according to his opinion as long as the hardware on consoles SUCK the games will suck partially because of hardware limitations... and since developers thease days are so love love about consoles the best thing we can expect from them is console ports... and if the hardware on the consoles suck... the console ports will suck as well since they wont bother making proper pc ports... 3 hoorays for 30fps locked games of the future... NOT!

-Sandremo

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 02:55:20 AM »

(I think you might've meant me as the guy who doesn't care about consoles ;D)

Firstly, we still shouldn't care about consoles. If you're a pc player, and not a console player, you're free to be that without ever needing to care.

Secondly, what we should care about (and which is the main reason ports are so stupid nowadays) is developer laziness and demographic. PC's will always be having superior qualities over ANY console, but as long as the demographic wouldn't appreciate a good PC game, and instead prefer a port, then it's going to stay like this. I mean, look at Star Citizen for an example. That tech demo, which was rendered in game too, was not rendered on some bleeding-edge gfx card. Instead, it was rendered on a 1 year old, medium graphics card, which just serves as proof of the unused potential.
Tl;DR. Devs are lazy and people want ports from console, hindering the gfx and gameplay departement. After all, they only make what sells.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:09 AM »

(I think you might've meant me as the guy who doesn't care about consoles ;D)

Firstly, we still shouldn't care about consoles. If you're a pc player, and not a console player, you're free to be that without ever needing to care.

Secondly, what we should care about (and which is the main reason ports are so stupid nowadays) is developer laziness and demographic. PC's will always be having superior qualities over ANY console, but as long as the demographic wouldn't appreciate a good PC game, and instead prefer a port, then it's going to stay like this. I mean, look at Star Citizen for an example. That tech demo, which was rendered in game too, was not rendered on some bleeding-edge gfx card. Instead, it was rendered on a 1 year old, medium graphics card, which just serves as proof of the unused potential.
Tl;DR. Devs are lazy and people want ports from console, hindering the gfx and gameplay departement. After all, they only make what sells.

I havent met a single person who wants a port from consoles.. the reason devs make ports is because it's CHEAPER! Instead of having to create a whole new user friendly interface for PC they stick with the console one and make it a pain in the ass to navigate. And do they care? No! Why should they? People will still buy their games and keep the money rolling in to the dev's pockets which makes them think the games they create are actually "good" and hence create MORE bad games. It's an endlessly repeating cycle but people are just too stupid to not invest in bad games.

It's because of thease *** fanboys. People pre-purchase games because they like the idea, the concept of the game. But when the game get's released and it turns out to be crap they still DEFEND IT! Because they invested money in it... it couldnt be bad because they paid for it.

Sigh.. we could go on about this for ages but you get the point. :P (I hope)

Edit: Fingers crossed that PS4 wont dump the dualshock controller for a new one like the rumors say...

-Sandremo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:08:42 AM by Sandremo »

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:44 AM »

Dont think PS 4 and the term "future of gaming" goes well together for me.  :-\

Sure its nice that the "tech" inside the boxes has moved a bit, but if everything I read is true, not by much.

And if these are meant to be consoles for next decade, god help us...

One of my friends is all happy, because he thinks port will be better now, due to the architec behind the consoles,
but ask it was already mentioned i think - generally ports from consoles to pc are not treated with care, if I use a polite
word, if i handt, I would say the developer, publisher rushes a pc port and so the quality of ports is meh, what will
change, if they only got some "new" hardware for consoles?

Its not written in stone anywhere, that the developers will stop doing cheesy ports.. I expect them to go even more lazy
actually.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 04:38:58 AM »

Okay, so,

New tech = fancier graphics. Sure, i can get behind that. Better texture quality and high-poly models is always a good thing, sure.

However, that doesn't give even the slightest hint that the gameplay is good.

I don't care if a game has near Real-Life-like texture, if the gameplay is down the trash, i won't be touching it. Ever.

@Sandremo
True enough, developers make it for consoles because ultimately, they know it'll sell more on consoles than on PC, because, again, people will still buy and pre-purchase their games. Look at CoD. Why do you think it still has survived for that long?

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:35 AM »

Okay, so,

New tech = fancier graphics. Sure, i can get behind that. Better texture quality and high-poly models is always a good thing, sure.

However, that doesn't give even the slightest hint that the gameplay is good.

I don't care if a game has near Real-Life-like texture, if the gameplay is down the trash, i won't be touching it. Ever.
But the gameplay is all down to the game. Not the console. This is starting to sound like the beginnings of the Great Flame War, aeons ago. Arms are been raised, weapons polished, insults brought back and tested. Hopefully not here. But on Youtube. I see it coming. Brace yourselves. The War (winter) is coming.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 06:05:57 AM »

The winter war is coming again. The generals are prepared. The troops are rallying. Strategies are being made and scrapped. Armor is being mass-produced and upgraded. Forces are being relocated to the best, most advantageous position, and the homefronts are being dug down. They're all waiting for one signal, and one alone. The signal that sounds the beginning of the attack. The order to push forward, to break their lines.

Hehe, that was rather poetic, was it not? :D

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 07:22:10 AM »

Hehe, that was rather poetic lengthy, was it not? :D

Yes, yes it was.

Edit: Fingers crossed that PS4 wont dump the dualshock controller for a new one like the rumors say...

That's probably the biggest thing I hate about the PS1 - PS3: that crappy controller. It doesn't fit my hand at all, and the D-pad is where the analog stick should be. My left hand hurts after playing a game for an hour. The only worse controller design was that N64 disaster.

I've loved consoles all my life, and I've also thought the PC vs. Consoles argument was irrelevant, since they are for two separate kinds of people. Consoles are for the people who just want to sit down in front of their TV and play. PCs are for people who want to maximize their gaming experience. I enjoy both my 360 and my PC, but I won't be buying the next gen consoles because the DRM is getting out of hand, and a lot of the more recent console games are terrible.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

The only worse controller design was that N64 disaster.

The N64 controller was one of my favourite ones ever. Only real criticism I have of it is the flimsiness of the analog stick, and that's not much of a problem if you know how to take care of things properly

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »

Must just be a matter of taste then.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »

The only worse controller design was that N64 disaster.

The N64 controller was one of my favourite ones ever. Only real criticism I have of it is the flimsiness of the analog stick, and that's not much of a problem if you know how to take care of things properly
ditto i still have it :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5