Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: PS4 and the future of gaming  (Read 20174 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
PS4 and the future of gaming
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »

Tonight, 'parrentally, we'll begin to see the new console war as the PS4 is obviously being announced. It's been a hefty two days, what with Nvidia saying with Titan 'OK, we're going to have the single GPU ultimate cards running failed SUPERCOMPUTER GPUs (!!!) (Geforce Titan runs Tesla cores that cannot run in server blades for being too hot or something)' which will kickstart a crazy new generation of graphics (for a single GPU card, this thing is monstrous) for PC gaming.

But unfortunately, as Crytek have said without breaking their NDAs (and based on rumours, and rumours figured out the exact specs of Titan a while back) the new PS4 and Xbox 360 will be about as much of a performance increment as the Wii U was over the original Wii. They'll be gimmick based systems and will make it so that console gamers who want 'games' will need to go to PC  - there's some strange and frightening stuff that is being talked about like forced Kinect usage, touchscreens - all that jazz that probably will either kill the consoles as all the 'gamers' want their FPSes back and such, which means they'll have to defect to PC (OH PLZ OH PLZ OH PLZ) or mean that games as we know them die (quite a few devs/publishers have been commenting that mobile markets will rule in the coming years)?

Discuss, but try not to turn this into a 'PC gaming is better in every way' debate - because, for one, it is no debate, it's fact, but for two that belongs in the Destiny topic :P
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 and the future of gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »

Meh, I don't really care so much any more about consoles. They've become really stagnant over the past few years. Xbox tried to get indies on XBL but all you'll really find there are ripoffs and poor quality games. PS3 tried to be more like a PC with Linux support at first, but then took it out because of hacking or something. Then the Wii mostly caters to the casual crowd. Wii U tried to go back, but it seems kind of gimmicky.

Another problem is that console devs can't put out many free content updates as on PC because each update costs like $40k,  which is why TF2 on PC and Consoles is so different.

I don't think many console gamers will migrate to PC because of brand loyalty and many console games think that PC gaming is too expensive.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »

Also, mobile gaming. Once mobile phones have as good as graphics capabilities, decent controls and good quality games as on PC/Consoles, then I will say that mobile is the way to go.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »

It's funny because mobiles such as the S3 (and S4 soon) the Intel Medfield Atom powered phones, and very notably Project SHIELD are actually borderline more powerful than the 360 currently, and I remember a while back when someone from... somewhere, a dev, said the iPad 2 was ballpark half as powerful as a 360 or PS3... well, I'm not too sure, but IIRC, the iPhone 5 was about 1.5/2 times more powerful than the iPad 2, and that's not counting the iPad 4, or the Tegra 4 stuff... but here's the bad thing. SHIELD smartly can stream from a Geforce GTX equipped PC, and Nvidia's investing in cloud - give the thing 3G, and it'll be a 720P portable full powered PC, which is an absolute console killer. There's no way developers will develop solely for say an Exynos quad core - they'll go with the flow, it's evolving really fast.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

Here! is the stream, it starts in 15 mins :)

Rumors are saying they are also going to announce BF4 :)

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

We know BF4 exists, they were flogging beta passes with copies of Warfighter. I literally just had an awesome flashback to the Reach beta - that was awesome.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »

The thing is though, that most mobile devs don't use the full power of the device. There are some exceptions, such as most Gameloft Games and Madfinger. Many seem to just make 2d cartoony looking games that probably cost relatively little to make, but sell huge amounts of copies. On the flip side, Gameloft makes good looking games but they are very unoriginal. For example Modern Combat is basically Call of Duty for phones.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »

The big thing that is going to stop me from purchasing a next gen console is going to be all of the DRM *** that's going to be incorporated. Granted, nothing has really been confirmed yet (to my knowledge), but I already thought Microsoft went WAY too far with the DRM on the 360.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »

The big thing that is going to stop me from purchasing a next gen console is going to be all of the DRM *** that's going to be incorporated. Granted, nothing has really been confirmed yet (to my knowledge), but I already thought Microsoft went WAY too far with the DRM on the 360.
DRM on the 360 to me wasn't really there. Could play anything offline.

This? We can't speculate too much, but it makes Ubisoft and GFWL look VERY, VERY lax. We'll just watch you with Kinect, chip our DVDs, force an internet connection cause, you know, piracy is the loss of 5% of our sales! Is the Kinect watching even legal? It's spying AFAIK - guess I'll just get a small child to play with my 3DS while I play so Microsoft can get sued for spying on children

BTW, streams about to start. Music's come on. It has started actually
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »

DRM on the 360 to me wasn't really there. Could play anything offline.

I ran in to it constantly. I have an entire season of a TV show that I bought that it says I don't have the rights to. And this is with the same hard drive, console, and profile I purchased it with and while I'm logged in.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »

That stream is a disaster; anyone know of any others?

:edit:

Nvm, the problems with the stream are at the source.
Looks like Sony have screwed up their live announcement.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:01:34 PM by TJJ »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:09:26 PM »

http://no.twitch.tv/playstation/new

Twitch stream seems to be slightly better.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »

Killzone, meh, inFamous - half sold.

Bring WipEout and you've earned my wallet
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:21 PM »

Sold, but I want my WipEout
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

Fine until Chris Metzen showed up, then I wanted to murder puppies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5