Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Phase beam... most pointless gun ever.  (Read 11779 times)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Phase beam... most pointless gun ever.
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »

Is it just me, or is the phase beam a very, very weak weapon? Virtually every other medium energy weapon is a better use of OP. If you want raw DPS, it's a better idea to equip heavy/mining blasters. If you want sustained fire, invest in pulse lasers. If you want to take down a shield, use graviton beams. Right now pulse lasers do everything the phase beam does, but better. The higher flux cost is offset by the fact that pulse lasers do far more DPS and have low OP costs, letting you equip more vents to offset the flux.

Aside from looking cool, what does the phase beam do well?

Anyhow the point of this post is that I think this gun needs to be reworked. It's really cool looking, but it currently has no role (I know it used to be a weapon that killed phase ships, but those mechanics aren't used anymore).

I personally believe that energy weapons tend to be a little weak in the anti-armor department (whereas ballistic weapons do all types of damage well). I think it would make this gun relevant again if the phase beam did high explosive damage instead of energy. Plus I'd feel like I was shooting one of the capital ship lasers from Freespace or something, just tear a ship apart if their shields went down. The phase beam would finally have some "oomph" to it.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: Phase beam... most pointless gun ever.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »

one word, EMP

To elaborate, making the phase beam like a mini tachyon lance would be rather awesome (in firing stile and on hit effects)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »

It's a bigger tac laser that deals some EMP damage. It eats fighters and low-tech ships for dinner. But especially fighters.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »

I actually think that Phase beams are very effective. Sure their DPS  is low, but they could keep firing all day with their low flux build up. Once the enemies shields are down, the EMP will wreak havoc on their weapons and engines. Phase beams are also mildly effective against armor. They are just great all-around energy weapons.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »

Pulse Laser is 10 OP to Phase Beam's 12, and generates over twice as much flux/second while having only 51% more DPS (and has shorter range). It's not really a beam substitute for sustained fire.

Phase Beam isn't a particularly strong weapon, but it does pay for itself in the right circumstances.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:39:01 PM by Histidine »

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »

Sad thing about all beam weapons are that once Alex put higher level NPC fleets in, against some ships firing beam weapons will cost you more flux than your target.  Heck, they might be in that situation already against certain ships but I didn't do the math and only math I read was done on advanced tech ships with elite crew so IDK about that yet.

Kurzak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »

Phase beams are my wpn of choice on a Medusa. Try it out with anti-matter front firing and some tactical lasers. Kind of funny how easily you can dominate with that set-up.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »

I make heavy use of phase beams and (IR) puse lasers in combination the pulse weapons generate the hard flux to force shields to flicker or overload, at which point the phase beams start to chew up the armour and turn all their guns off, making them extremely useful in safely engaging armour heavy ships, this comosition deployed en mass makes for terrifying support/harrasment.

Edit :

I think it speaks well of the games excellent balance that people will contiuosly flag a weapon for being underpowered, to find a chorus of people telling them its actually great, and each time its a different weapon.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:00:53 AM by zakastra »
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 12:51:55 AM »

They're also useful with rookie crews. They have no trouble hitting things while the pulse lasers would have a heck of a time hitting zippy ships.

If you've got 5 ranks in the increased damage versus armor skill you get the double damage to weapons and engines. It seems to double the EMP damage too. (I may be wrong)
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »

It is alsoworth noting that they have a very fast turn rate, and oft overlooked but very powerful factor on large ships that want the ability to easily tackle fast frigates/fighters without having to compromise firepower for point defence.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »

Sad thing about all beam weapons are that once Alex put higher level NPC fleets in, against some ships firing beam weapons will cost you more flux than your target.  Heck, they might be in that situation already against certain ships but I didn't do the math and only math I read was done on advanced tech ships with elite crew so IDK about that yet.

That's why i'm a cultist of the graviton beam...
just get any ship that can field 3 graviton beams and you are golden!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »

2 phase beams + 2 tac lasers on a Medusa is just

no words
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »

I love Phase Beams when I'm soloing with an Eagle because of how fantastic they are at swatting bombers and frigates! A pair of phase beams on the sides with 2 tacs in front, and a heavy burst pd in the center makes for a mean anti-fighter/frigate setup.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »

That's why i'm a cultist of the graviton beam...
just get any ship that can field 3 graviton beams and you are golden!

I think you misunderstood what I wrote.  If AI were to field elite crew ships with shield improving hullmods, when you fire that graviton beam, it is going to cost YOU more flux to fire the beam than the AI to maintain the shield against it.  And since beam weapons doesn't produce hard flux, the flux loss is 100% loss without any benefit at that point.

But as others pointed out, beams are good "bully" weapon to use against smaller targets.

Kurzak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »

If AI were to field elite crew ships with shield improving hullmods, when you fire that graviton beam, it is going to cost YOU more flux to fire the beam than the AI to maintain the shield against it.  And since beam weapons doesn't produce hard flux, the flux loss is 100% loss without any benefit at that point.

But as others pointed out, beams are good "bully" weapon to use against smaller targets.
if if if;  beam wpns have their place against more than just small targets. everything has a counter. i've taken down a lot of battlecruisers with beams, in a cruiser. it all just boils down to preference.
Pages: [1] 2 3