Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modifications  (Read 4609 times)

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Modifications
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

I been capturing alot of ships since I maxed out my fleet and seems so easy to mod your ships once you acquire the player level. The problem is that they are free to install(besides ord slots) in every ship I buy or capture. They should cost cash to install once you get the tech for every ship.This would make loadouts more rewarding imo. Also maybe you can only refit mods at stations as well.

Another suggestion I was thinking to make ships more fun to mod is to have the ability to adjust the mods you install.For example if you install extended shields for 20 slots maybe it could have a max to min range.Say I want 30 degrees added so now it only costs 10 slots.I know for some mods this wouldnt be possible like blast doors but there are alot of mods that we could customize once we install them to our ships.Seems like this would make building ships more unique,interesting, and fun.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:21:37 PM by MindsEye »

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Modifications
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »

Additional idea I had about this in connection with variants. Could be possible to have randomly generated variant mod ships.Not sure about loadouts but this could create alot of diversity in the galaxy.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »

There are some plans for variant generation, specifically the idea of the AI gradually improving its ships towards a certain optimal variant. Nothing final, though.

I see no good reason why hullmods should cost money. Maybe some supplies just for lore plausibility.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »

There are some plans for variant generation, specifically the idea of the AI gradually improving its ships towards a certain optimal variant. Nothing final, though.

I see no good reason why hullmods should cost money. Maybe some supplies just for lore plausibility.

First part sounds good. You really think that putting shield gens,new engines,armor plating,ect should be free?We are talking about actual equipment and materials right?

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

For the most part those are augmentations, which usually aren't new stuff added to the ship so much as parts of the ship being changed. The cost is ordinance points, and I think that is enough.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:29:19 AM »

One of the main reasons I suggested this is towards end game you kinda run out of stuff to buy.After mid this can come very fast.I know there is alot of stuff going to be added but this could help be a buffer along with everything else.For me one of the more fun aspects of a game like this is building up my ship.Its fun to work for some upgrade or weapon.As is now you just get the ship and your done.In EV you had to buy the ship then save up for thrusters,shield mods,weapons,ect. This was part of the fun IMO.This game is kind of based off economy and when you get a bunch of stuff for free its bad for the game IMO.End game when I have a few cap ships they are all almost the same because I can refit them all in a few sec to have the same stuff.Mostly I look at what kinds of weapons I can field with them.

For the most part those are augmentations, which usually aren't new stuff added to the ship so much as parts of the ship being changed. The cost is ordinance points, and I think that is enough.

I am curious as to which ones you think would not realisticly(I know its a game but I also like games to make some sense to me) add any equipment to the ship.OP is like space on the ship.If you look a large weapon usually takes up 20 points of cargo just like it usually take up around 20 op.Alot of these weapons are pretty huge visually on the ship.All addons are 10 op up to 40.Based off of that it is telling me that they are not just flipping switches or moving wires around.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:54 AM »

Read the latest blog post.  Reconfiguring a ship - including installation of hull mods - will reduce combat readiness, which will cost supplies to restore.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

One of the main reasons I suggested this is towards end game you kinda run out of stuff to buy.After mid this can come very fast.I know there is alot of stuff going to be added but this could help be a buffer along with everything else.For me one of the more fun aspects of a game like this is building up my ship.Its fun to work for some upgrade or weapon.As is now you just get the ship and your done.In EV you had to buy the ship then save up for thrusters,shield mods,weapons,ect. This was part of the fun IMO.This game is kind of based off economy and when you get a bunch of stuff for free its bad for the game IMO.End game when I have a few cap ships they are all almost the same because I can refit them all in a few sec to have the same stuff.Mostly I look at what kinds of weapons I can field with them.

I am curious as to which ones you think would not realisticly(I know its a game but I also like games to make some sense to me) add any equipment to the ship.OP is like space on the ship.If you look a large weapon usually takes up 20 points of cargo just like it usually take up around 20 op.Alot of these weapons are pretty huge visually on the ship.All addons are 10 op up to 40.Based off of that it is telling me that they are not just flipping switches or moving wires around.

I think that it is not so much that the hull-mods don't cost resources as much as that the resources are already a part of the ship. For example, the pieces and parts for eight flux capacitors on a frigate might be re-worked into extra armor for that frigate, or turned into a booster for the engine. I think that it is both the room in the ship and the parts of the inside of the ship that are re-worked and modified based on the hull-mods or lack thereof that the player chooses. When the player equips a weapon onto the ship, the ordinance point cost is in the parts and space required on the inside of the ship to make that weapon workable for the ship. Basically, I think that the cargo weight of a weapon is for the weapon itself, while the ordinance cost is for making the weapon work on the ship.

This of course is just how I see the stuff working, I don't actually know anything at all.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »

I think that it is not so much that the hull-mods don't cost resources as much as that the resources are already a part of the ship. For example, the pieces and parts for eight flux capacitors on a frigate might be re-worked into extra armor for that frigate, or turned into a booster for the engine. I think that it is both the room in the ship and the parts of the inside of the ship that are re-worked and modified based on the hull-mods or lack thereof that the player chooses. When the player equips a weapon onto the ship, the ordinance point cost is in the parts and space required on the inside of the ship to make that weapon workable for the ship. Basically, I think that the cargo weight of a weapon is for the weapon itself, while the ordinance cost is for making the weapon work on the ship.

This of course is just how I see the stuff working, I don't actually know anything at all.

Haha Not bad not bad  :). Is a bit of a stretch for me(I see space ships as high tech machines). Where core parts need advanced facilities to produce. Its a very good explanation for the current setup tho.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »

Well, lore-wise, most of the readily available ships are rather low-tech and in general the whole world of the game is a sort of gritty, post-apocalyptic universe where you simply have to make-do, and for lack of obtainable tech, you're better off just using run-of-the-mill, credit a crate, 'low-tech' carbon-fibre weave molecularly-bonding space duct tape.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:49:23 AM »

Guess I need to brush up on my lore cause I didnt know Mcguyver ruled the galaxy :P. Low tech for ftl,laser shootin,and shield wielding ships is still high tech to me since we have some amazing tech but arent close to having these things.Alot of our tech takes a rediculous amount of refining and processes to produce.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 06:04:17 AM »

In the Starsector universe technology is produced by so called Autofactories. They are fully automatic production machines which survived the collapse. Autofactories only need a digital blueprint and raw materials and can produce everything from a rifle to a spaceship. That means that most of the technology you see in the game is not understood by the people of the time, they just live of the remnants of the past and can't produce anything new.
I'd say that it's pretty plausible that every improvement to that technology is made by re-purposing preexisting parts or using spare parts, thinks like pre-produced tuning parts you can just purchase are probably not even existent.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:42:39 AM by Gothars »

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »

Ah so these factories can be on ships too then?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »

Carriers have a type of mini-autofactory to repair fighters and assemble replacement fighters out of pre-made parts (stored as supplies). I'd wager that small versions of this AF type are not uncommon to produce the exact parts needed at the moment (ever noticed how even your last crate of supplies contains exactly the parts that your ship needs?). If fully functional autofactories that can work with raw materials are onboard ships is unclear, but I doubt it.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »

I don't think specifics have been expanded upon for that bit of lore, but mechanics-wise, charging money or placing other restrictions on hullmods such as drydock installation gets a resounding 'meh' from me.
Pages: [1] 2