Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Crew,Hud,View Ranges,Thrusters  (Read 3019 times)

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Crew,Hud,View Ranges,Thrusters
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

Just a few small suggestions.

Sometimes some of my crew gets killed in a battle and I dont notice. Then I got into another battle and I cant even retreat and my ship dies.Would be nice if a permanent red message stating I dont have enough crew was fairly visible at all times.

Very annoying in battle when I lose sight of my ships and they die because I couldnt see them. Would be nice to have them in the hud and their status in a battle.

That brings me to viewing ranges.Some of the larger guns range requires you to zoom ahead to aim at maximum range in which case you cant see the ship your shooting from even.I think is almost needed to be able to zoom out to see your ship.

I Find it odd that ships can decelerate as fast as they can accelerate.Also they have same topspeed in reverse as forward. The engines on the back are usually massive where as the reverse engines barely seen. Maybe reverse speed should be half as well as deceleration?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:49:12 AM by MindsEye »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Re: Crew,Hud,View Ranges
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:54 AM »

I think that the last one is done to simulate difficulties of aiming at distant targets by visual targeting. We have indicator of where the enemy ship is and how far it is - so using those to fire was probably a design choice.

We also have an option to target that ship and see its heading, weak points and other stuff in a nice pop-up window. So using indicator for long range firing with that useful info is possible, but not always effective.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:01 AM »

Sorry I didnt explain it very well but I was talking about losing sight of my ship. Its very easy to get yourself into a bad situation when you cant see whats going on around your ship.I know you can watch the edge of the map for ships but it can be very difficult especially if you are aiming at long distances.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:27:36 AM »

This has already come up, I think Gothars suggested it himself.

EDIT: Yep he did, http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5536.0

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Crew,Hud,View Ranges,Thrusters
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »

Oddly enough I also made a suggestion about MindsEye's first point:Warning Signs

About the reverse speed, Alex said some time ago that he'd like to test what that does to the game. I don't now what came of it, though. I'm sure it would not be introduced for realism's sake, only if it happens to have a positive impact on gameplay.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »

I Find it odd that ships can decelerate as fast as they can accelerate.Also they have same topspeed in reverse as forward. The engines on the back are usually massive where as the reverse engines barely seen. Maybe reverse speed should be half as well as deceleration?

Just a quick note: most ships decelerate substantially more slowly than they accelerate.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »

Well maybe the reverse speed limit should be reduced as well because it isnt all that noticeable? However I can understand if it has a significant  negative impact on gameplay how you would not want to implement it.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:44:33 AM »

Just pitching in my two cents worth. It would make a lot of sense for larger ships to decellerate quickly as when coming into dock the ship in question wouldn't want to be decelerating for a few hours. Scaled up to realistic speeds the large capital ships could take almost a day to decellerate from their full speed. And retro thrusters would be at the very least common on battleships, mainly to allow them to quickly change direction if needed.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »

& my 3 cents:
you can decelerate twice as fast holding "S" & "C" button at the same time (works better on bigger ships)
a little trick that i don't mind but maybe Alex should do something about it
                                                                                                                       ::)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »

& my 3 cents:
you can decelerate twice as fast holding "S" & "C" button at the same time (works better on bigger ships)
a little trick that i don't mind but maybe Alex should do something about it
                                                                                                                       ::)

Oops! Fixed.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »

Just pitching in my two cents worth. It would make a lot of sense for larger ships to decellerate quickly as when coming into dock the ship in question wouldn't want to be decelerating for a few hours. Scaled up to realistic speeds the large capital ships could take almost a day to decellerate from their full speed. And retro thrusters would be at the very least common on battleships, mainly to allow them to quickly change direction if needed.

Yeah I ment strictly in battle situations. Navigating the system could be more lenient and plus wouldnt be much of a prob with the ability to speed up time(wouldnt mind being able to go to 4x too).