Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Travel to Battle  (Read 2970 times)

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Travel to Battle
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »

I think it would better if you were in battle mode at all times.When navigating and you fly near an enemy you would just zoom in to battle and if you wanted to retreat you just flew far enough away. The system now kinda feels like you flying drunk when navigating and/or chasing fleets down. It doesnt seem to represent whatever ship you have actual maneuvering capabilities. I do think the current com and captains decision to engage or run or to hail enemies is cool way to initiate battle. I think mostly I dislike the drunkin navies who fly my ships.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to Battle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »

Like how Sid Meier's Pirates! did it.

With the campaign map in its current form, I agree.
However we've no idea how the campaign map is going to develop, so long term it might be unsuitable.

Definitely something to keep in mind though; it'd certainly make the combat & campaign feel more connected.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »

How would you loot or capture enemy ships when you destroy them though? Could you mouse over them when its safe and take the loot/board? This would open up a lot more ways of playing.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »

Simply Fly up to them to a certain distance to simulate docking or there could be an option to send a ship in your fleet to dock and perform the action. You could then choose to loot or board and capture whatever options get implemented.You could do this after you disable all ships or in the heat of the battle. Also this would open up random reinforcements for the npc side. Maybe a fed ship comes to your aid in the middle of the battle or more pirates show up causing you to run. Since the battle will be in real time with the nav space. You could send out distress call for help and npc ships in range could have a chance to come to your aid. Certain ships with speed bonuses would become very useful as well.

This could also make retreating more tricky.Pirates could wait to attack until they are right up on you(assuming you cant tell they are).In most cases it seems pretty easy to retreat without damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:25:14 PM by MindsEye »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »

I like idea buuuuut there is one tiny thing. All battles in star system would be in real time. AI vs AI too. So imagine, like 10 battles simultaneously...
OR maybe i'm wrong, maybe this game isn't heavy on calculations  ;D
It would be cool and it would give really real feel to it but...
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

Maybe the ships that you aren't zoomed in on basically auto resolve over a few minutes of time. This would make all the suggestions of joining a battle in progress actually viable.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »

Maybe the ships that you aren't zoomed in on basically auto resolve over a few minutes of time. This would make all the suggestions of joining a battle in progress actually viable.
I think that would be like what we have now but with options to "join" battles. What OP is suggesting is completely simulated system in one layer. Alex choose 2 layers so he got his reasons for it I guess.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »

I like idea buuuuut there is one tiny thing. All battles in star system would be in real time. AI vs AI too. So imagine, like 10 battles simultaneously...
OR maybe i'm wrong, maybe this game isn't heavy on calculations  ;D
It would be cool and it would give really real feel to it but...

Good point.I still wish that navigating fleets acted like they do in combat.Since Caps would be slow there could be an option to send out frigates to intercept within a certain range of your fleet.This would make frigs valuable for raiding fleets.As is now I can pretty much cruise around in nothing but caps and do just fine.Caps should be slow and for siege/base of operations and defense for the rest of the fleet.Depending on how far your frig had to go to intercept would give a timer on the availability of the rest of your ships for reinforcements based on their speed.Wings could be used to scout out other fleets near you as well.Might open up a list of options and possibilities when navigating and interacting with other fleets.

Also I still like the idea of outside fleets joining the battle.Maybe make it an option to send out a distress call and if there were fleets willing to help they could have a chance to join and help.They could even ask for payment for doing so.Same for the npc fleet. If there are allies of his near the engagement there could be a chance that you would have to fight 2 fleets.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:35:03 AM by MindsEye »