Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter and bomber fitting  (Read 3456 times)

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fighter and bomber fitting
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »

Just a quick question, will we be able to fit our bomber and fighters differnently within a wing.

For example, have my middle bomber with a torpedo and the 2 flanking bombers fit with rockets.

Or will we have to fit all of the ships within a wing the same way?

I would like to fit them independently so i can have things like rockets distract pd in hopes of getting the one torpedo through.

Just curious on how fighter and bomber fitting will work, thanks for your time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter and bomber fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »

You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet - out of quite a few that are available - is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »

You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet - out of quite a few that are available - is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Thanks for letting me know! all my plans of uber bomber squads are now ruined... probably for the best.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »

My apologies - you'll have to cheese out something else to achieve Sector-wide dominance :)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »

My apologies - you'll have to cheese out something else to achieve Sector-wide dominance :)

I was thinking more along the lines of missile based fighters of recreating a sort of macross or Aurora style barrage, with a mainly carrier based fleet,  myself. I guess I'll just have to mod it in:P.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of missile based fighters of recreating a sort of macross or Aurora style barrage, with a mainly carrier based fleet,  myself. I guess I'll just have to mod it in:P.

that might be an intresting mod, 1 human controlled fleet verses one starfighter with macross-ian delusions of grandure. make the human fleet random, see if anyone can beat it.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »

that might be an intresting mod, 1 human controlled fleet verses one starfighter with macross-ian delusions of grandure. make the human fleet random, see if anyone can beat it.

With Starfarer set up as it is, this game is a fantastic base for a top down shoot em' up like those games at the arcade.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »

This makes me want to make a bunch of modded 'frigates' that are actually just fighters you can control as a player.

Makes me miss playing Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy....

*Sigh*
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:52:25 AM »

Please don't post in old threads such as this if you don't have something really important to add.

Closed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.