Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galactic Civilizations 2!  (Read 5429 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Galactic Civilizations 2!
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »

I've been playing galciv 2 for about a week and really like it! I'm playing Terrans and bribed all the stronger powers to fight each other before I move in and mop up - good fun!

Anyone have any advice or cool galaxy settings that make for a fun game?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
Re: Galactic Civilizations 2!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »

GalCiv 2 is a great game, one of my favorites. :)

I haven't played since before the expansions came out so they might have nerfed it, but a good strategy on small maps was to rush loads of constructors and build military starbases. The reason they are so broken is that they buff the offense and defense of all nearby ships by a set amount, not by a percentage. This means that once you have a decently built-up station, you could just spam cheap beginning fighters and they would each have the stats of cap ships while near the station (and 1 damage/no defense outside that range, of course) at a quarter the Logistics cost. And if you decide to build a cap ship anyway, well... :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »

-Immense galaxy size
-Abundant stars and planets
-All minor races
-9 major races
-Disable Ascension and Tech victory

You'll be playing that game for a month.

Also, go for missile weapons. The AI seems to never use them, nor actually make defenses against them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »

GalCiv 2 is a great game, one of my favorites. :)

I haven't played since before the expansions came out so they might have nerfed it, but a good strategy on small maps was to rush loads of constructors and build military starbases. The reason they are so broken is that they buff the offense and defense of all nearby ships by a set amount, not by a percentage. This means that once you have a decently built-up station, you could just spam cheap beginning fighters and they would each have the stats of cap ships while near the station (and 1 damage/no defense outside that range, of course) at a quarter the Logistics cost. And if you decide to build a cap ship anyway, well... :D

Oooh, I'll have to try that! I actually did just do spam tactics against the Yor - got some decent logistics and just pounded them with small offensive ships (their description in the ship maker was just :( ). If I'd added a military base near their planets I probs wouldn't have taken so many losses.

-Immense galaxy size
-Abundant stars and planets
-All minor races
-9 major races
-Disable Ascension and Tech victory

You'll be playing that game for a month.

Also, go for missile weapons. The AI seems to never use them, nor actually make defenses against them.

Is that abundant habitable planets also? I'm playing on a large map with occasional habitable and kind of enjoy how scarce they are. Lots of habitable will def make the game last longer though (and make for tons of micro :P)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »

Is that abundant habitable planets also? I'm playing on a large map with occasional habitable and kind of enjoy how scarce they are. Lots of habitable will def make the game last longer though (and make for tons of micro :P)
I usually do it on common habitable planets. Abundant gets pretty insane micro-wise once you own at least half the galaxy.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

Does anyone else here play Star Ruler? It's a pretty fun real time 4x with awesome ship designing and 3d galaxies.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 02:56:37 AM »

I love Star Ruler. Never quite get to the point of making Ring Worlds or end game techs, and have a still dangerous AI still around to fully exploit it though.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »

Holy crap!!! Random event just happened: every uninhabitable planet within 2 sectors of an alien home world just turned into a class 12 planet! I have the habitability set to occasional and this galaxy had an unusually low number of habitables.... so these new planets are more territory than every other planet in the galaxy combined! I just spent my entire treasury rushing colony ships, and though I haven't seen it yet, the AI should be rushing them soon too.

I feel sorry for the previous residents of that corner of the galaxy... they are about to get completely destroyed. By me. Muahaahaha

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »

Actually, you'll die horribly. One thing colonies SUCK at with low pop..is making money. You'll be hemmoraging money horribly. I always start with a custom race that has the SuperBreeder perk so that i can get my colonies out of the gutter FAST.

Just like to mention, GC2's AI can be BRUTAL sometimes. I think it was Challanging skill level?. .. There is a difficulty level where all the restrictions are off and they still get no artificial boosts, and that's the sweetspot to play when you're learning or when you want a stable game without some militaristic race rush you with blobs.

In any case, have fun with it, build and protect your Starbases, don't make Star Terrors since that cheapens the game, and really do try with all your might to understand what's going on in the game. The background machinations the AI makes is outstanding and can really enrich your gameplay.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »

Yeah, I know that they will be a big dip to my economy... but I'm already making 1200 a turn so I'm not all that concerned :D. Not to mention that the sector they are in is a culturally weak ally of mine - I've got all of their main worlds over 4.0 due to a couple culture bases. Once I flip them the game will basically be over :P

knightofni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »

Just like to mention, GC2's AI can be BRUTAL sometimes. I think it was Challanging skill level?. .. There is a difficulty level where all the restrictions are off and they still get no artificial boosts, and that's the sweetspot to play when you're learning or when you want a stable game without some militaristic race rush you with blobs.

Yeah, "Challenging" is the level where the AI is at its smartest, but not cheating yet. Good fun. The level just above challenging is still doable. After that it starts to be really hard. AI is really the strongest point of GalCiv2. It's fast (in processing time), and deadly. It's a shame that the combat is so lackluster.