Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: BattleFleet Gothic (Starsector 0.54.2) [ON HIATUS]  (Read 269110 times)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: BattleFleet Gothic
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2013, 04:58:48 AM »

Thank you very much for the response!

I have thought about how to do weapon mounts for a while now, and your way seems the easiest way so far (I was thinking of making new types of mounts and having them only use say a Imperial Mount which only uses Imperial weapons...which will be hard to do)

So thank you again, this will make things a bit easier, also the lore stuff will be useful too, the Space hulk and some of the Ork ships i believe do not have shields?

(Welcome to the forums boyo!)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »

The problem with built in weapons is that it prevent the player from customizing his ships, which is perhaps the sole thing we can actually do in Starsector. Until Alex release new features, Starsector is pretty much a Sandbox game and therefore, i think it should be played a such, even with mods. I think it would be better to let the player choose if he want to stay within the 40K lore or to play it for the fun and mount Tyranids bio-weapons on an Eldar ship and stuffs.

Of course it can be limited to some extent. In Uomoz's Corvus mod, each faction only have access to their own stations, ships and weapons. The BFG mod could work the same way, preventing, or at least limiting the use of other races technology. Also, would be much easier to code, as you can use Uomoz's mod as a base for this one.

For the Orks ships. Yes they use shields (force fields) although they are pretty inefficient. They rely much more on armor and number to survive. Also for Ork gameplay, according to the lore, it should work more or less like this (Spoonie will correct me if i say something wrong):

Pros:
-Very low Fleet Point cost
-Quite good armor.
-Lot of weapons mounts (with 3/4 of them pointing forward)
-Very fast rate of fire, but inaccurate and short ranged weapons

Cons:
-Slow and unwieldy
-Low ordnance points (all of them would be used ot fit weapons)
-Low flux capacity and venting

Basically pretty terrible ships, but cheap enough to swarm the enemy, and enough weapons to deal a lot of damages for short periods of time (due to high flux). With ships system like Burn-drive and Accelerated ammo feeder. In some way, they would play a bit like Erick Doe's Antediluvians but with even more pronounced faction traits.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »

Thanks to our Chinese modders that created a way to make new items from merging parts we can make a "forge" where you can for example, grab a eldar weapon then place it on a station to create a new "human-ized" weapon with a new turret/hardpoint art. You can see it as in a Research and make a new weapon from their tech.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »

that ship, 2spooky4me

Frankenslaught is the correct term ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:04:31 AM by ValkyriaL »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »

Just found a top view for the Necron Night Shroud and Death Scythe. I hope it will help Pelhamds for his sprites.

Spoiler
[close]

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »

I need a like button. in substitute i have this (also a lot bigger than i though.........) I will now need to resizefy them to around a good size :D I love my made up words:

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:19:52 AM by Pelhamds »

Spoonie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2013, 10:12:02 PM »

(Welcome to the forums boyo!)

Thanks, glad you found somethings useful. I didn't realize making more mount types was an option, but actually I quite like that idea. While I accept that it's limiting, in 40k different types of technology just don't mesh very well. The only exception I can really think of would be Orkz, who are a quite glaring one. Aside from that you might find a particularly radical (heretical) inquisitor or rogue trader mounting a captured eldar weapon or system, but that would be about it. I don't think the compromise of only being able to buy your own race's equipment but having the option to use captured stuff (As in Uomoz's) is that bad, though, for people who would want to use that option.

Speaking of Uomoz, as mentioned it did have some useful things in it. Choosing your faction and getting an appropriate ship, for instance. I also noted while checking out the races that the Antediluvian (?) ships came with weapons and everything when you purchased them. Might be an option to consider for people who want to use the 'official' versions of the ships without hunting down the right weapons and stuff, while still having the option for customization later.

Pros:
-Very low Fleet Point cost
-Quite good armor.
-Lot of weapons mounts (with 3/4 of them pointing forward)
-Very fast rate of fire, but inaccurate and short ranged weapons

Cons:
-Slow and unwieldy
-Low ordnance points (all of them would be used ot fit weapons)
-Low flux capacity and venting

Gonna actually pull up the living rulebook and see here. Never actually played against anybody who used orkz in BFG! Yeah looks pretty accurate. While their armor is probably some of the best, along with the Imperial Fleet, it's worth noting that their rear armor is very weak. Maybe just make their engines more vulnerable to being knocked out to represent this in Starsector? I think the only other thing to point out for the race as a whole is their bonus when using the all ahead full order, would probably translate pretty easily by giving a lot of their ships Burn Drive (a.k.a. 'Big Red Button). Also worth mentioning is the Ram ship. I don't know if it's possible, but since I don't think the A.I. would ever bother actually ramming with them, maybe you could make their special ability work like Burn Drive but always move towards the closest enemy ship or something?

In general, I'd say I agree with your assessment! The more I think about it, the more I like the burn drive on ork ships. Making them slow and very dangerous at short range seems like it could just make them bad, but if they had a hard to use way to (maybe) close the distance it could make them dangerous, and would also make battles involving orks feel more chaotic with ships flying all over the place and running into eachother, more than likely- Which is the way it should feel whenever orkz are involved.

Can't wait to see a hulk in action! Man, those things have a lot of guns...

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »

I need a like button. in substitute i have this (also a lot bigger than i though.........) I will now need to resizefy them to around a good size :D I love my made up words:

<obscenely large picture>

ARGH!!! MY BROWSER!!!

spoiler that stuff! :P
mmm.... tartiflette

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »

Ok the Space Hulk is a beast in game :D to take it out you would need multiple capital/battleships (like in the lore) and the amount of fire......so much dakka....just need to get the big red button and some other stuff in then ill post it up so people can see it :P

Spoonie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »

Well to be fair, a vanilla starsector capital ship is pretty hard to take down without at least a couple cruisers  :)

But yeah, serious dakka on that thing. It's got pretty scary broadsides on... all sides, torpedoes on the front and both sides, plus a terrifying amount of big gunz on the front and a dorsal lance turret. Although it drives like... well a giant rock with guns strapped to it, which is fairly accurate.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »

BOOP

Small Update:

Added the Space Hulk to the game, with Vanilla weapons, to see what it was like....

Thought some people might be interested to play around with it.

So....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev2r5a8n0p6fm6m/Battlefleet%20Gothic.zip

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »

I tried it. It is hideously slow, atrociously unwieldy and extremely ineffective.

It is perfect.

While it is not the most exciting thing to pilot it is pretty funny watching it shrugging reapers torpedoes hits and murdering everything that dare to get too close.

So yeah, your pretty much nailed it Pelhamds.

However, i looked into the csv files. You should add some hangar space and several launch bay as it is some kind of mobile space station. Also, 100 FP is FAR too much. If i recall correctly, the maximum FP you can deploy in a battle is 45.

And at least, maybe lowering the weapons mounts a bit as it make customization very chaotic. Maybe a good quarter of theses guns could be built in weapons (most points defense weapons i think).

But overall it's pretty damn good job.

Nysalor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2013, 07:43:12 AM »

The thought of being able to play a Freebooter Kaptin in Starsector is getting me all excited now.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »

What i did on the bus:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vd835brdbklblp/Gothic%20class%20show%20off.png

(also can someone definitively tell me how big the fighters are most importantly the fighta-boma )
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:16:18 AM by Pelhamds »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »

Most 40K ships are several kilometers longs and fighters are roughly the same size of modern jets. If you want to stay with the original scale, we wont even be able to see the fighters wings in game. So the best is to not bother with it.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0

Sproginator made a size chart for Starsector ships, and those numbers seems quite reasonable to me.

For your first Imperial ship ingame (yay!). I think 12 torpedoes tubes are too much. It would deal 48.000 damage with reapers. Enough to insta-kill pretty much everything in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20