Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Thank you  (Read 2514 times)

Bishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Thank you
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »

Starsector is the best £7 I have spent on a game in years, even in it's unfinished state. I have huge hopes for it as you flesh out more features. So...yeah please just keep doing what you're doing :)

I check for patches daily or even more often, can't wait to see what is coming next. Any hints on when the next patch might be? :

I hope this is okay to post here too but on another note, does anyone know of a good space combat / trading game that might keep me entertained between Starsector patches? I'm trying not to play it to death before it is a little more feature complete. Something with some combat would be nice, so no pure trading / stats games plz :)

2d / overhead or first / third person I don't mind. So far I've tried:
Drox Operative (not bad, but no end game / repetitive)
Strike Suit Zero (very generic shooter, zzz)
Dawnstar (just awful)
X3 (I have trouble getting into this, i've committed hours but its a bit 'too' slow paced and has no real plot to drive it)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »

Hi Bishi, cool that you like the game as much as I do :)

The next patch will probably take some time, but at the moment we are expecting a new blogpost that will talk about what new features are planned.

If you haven't tried it I would recommend Space Pirates And Zombies to bridge the time, it is a combat heavy 2D game, similar to Starsector but more on the arcade side of the spectrum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »

EV:Nova, a top-down trading space combat game with semi-3D images instead of 2D sprites, simply amazing, even though it's relatively simple, I've sunk hours upon hours into the demo alone. :)
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »

Hi Bishi - just wanted to say hi and thanks for dropping by. Glad you're enjoying the game!

(No hints about the timing for the next patch, btw: the standard answer is "when it's ready".)

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

Mostly Unfinished freeware space combat (with some trading, maybe)games that showed potential-
Epiar (has potential, but floaty and has balance issues)
Transcendence (and maybe Frontier;Not-so-frequent updates, campaign unfinished)
Naev (been awhile since " 0.6.0 following in the not-so-distant future", still no 0.60; team maybe losing steam[no pun intended])
ASCII Sector (maybe dead project)
Space Exploration: Serpens Sector (Dev sort of went hiding, either stealth development or abandoned project; "I want to remain kind of stealthy for now, and only give a firm date on release when I have on my computer a beta version of the game, ready to be released save some typos and minor bug-fixes.

It will be done when it's done. And it will be."
)
Forever Eden (guy lost his 3d graphics man, my have abandoned project)
Darkverse (has said he intends on finishing it, but it's been awhile)
Starflight:The Lost Colony (Slow game, door sounds are atrocious, only1/2 finished games on the list)

Also, 3030 Deathwar became free, but other than a modded version (where I can't seem to land on stations) I found on the (Old) SpaceSimCentral Forums, I couldn't find it. seems the new site fixed up the links, though the clg mod still won't work right for me and DLing requires an account.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:56:20 PM by Strifen »

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »

Agreed, best 10 USD I ever got my mother to spend on me... And things are only going to get better.

Gimbal is fun if you're looking for more unfinished space-combat-y top-down games, the combat is fun and you design your own ships with tons of possibilities, although that's all there is to the game at this point, it's multiplayer only but there are bots (although they aren;t nearly as smart as Starsector's AI). If you're looking for more plot/objective based games then I'll have to suggest FTL, which is quite hectic and fast paced during fights despite the lack of ship movement and direct control. Also, why no one like SSZ?

Bishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice community here!

Alex, I expected no less but I had to ask! :)

I'm having a go at SPAZ and i'll try the others you guys have mentioned. Cheers!