Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dimming explosions in battle, and improving targeting on sector map  (Read 2009 times)

Astyanax

• Ensign
    • View Profile

When a ship is destroyed in combat, I sometimes pause and try to assign new orders.  However, the explosion is so bright that it whites out the entire screen and the tactical map as well if it's open.  Would it be possible to dim explosions while the tactical map is open?

Another minor request is to improve targeting on the sector map, especially when ship groups are overlapping with each other, space stations, or asteroids.

These are niggling points, but I wouldn't post if I didn't already love the game. :)

Edit- off topic, but is there any chance of mouse-control in combat (e.g., your ship would turn towards the mouse cursor)?  Aiming front-mounted weapons (especially beams) with WASD is somewhat beyond my ability.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:35:38 PM by Astyanax »

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dimming explosions in battle, and improving targeting on sector map
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »

If you hold down SHIFT then the ship follows your cursor. Also, maybe the sector map selection could be a list of things that were near the point you selected.
Also, welcome to the forums!  ;D

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »

I've noticed the large explosions as well. I don't find them particularly annoying, unless I am going up against a large ship in a frigate and my screen is white for 5 seconds. I've found it's best just to turn around and run away just before the explosion, so that I have a semi-normal view.
That said, dimming the explosions would be rather helpful. :D
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »

If you hold down SHIFT then the ship follows your cursor. Also, maybe the sector map selection could be a list of things that were near the point you selected.

Another thing people seem to not realize is that it's possible to rebind your keys so you don't have to hold shift to turn-strafe. Just make A and S the default for turn-strafe, then make the turn buttons Shift-A and Shift-S.

Radradrobot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »

Maybe we can have some kind of transition glasses over our screen :) Something aesthetic that let's know where looking through a view screen in a central room deep inside a big safe capital ship giving these life and death orders?

Another thing people seem to not realize is that it's possible to rebind your keys so you don't have to hold shift to turn-strafe. Just make A and S the default for turn-strafe, then make the turn buttons Shift-A and Shift-S.

Sir you blew my mind with this simple tip.  I find my self enjoying the destrution of ships.  Then I'm wondering why my shots are going wide.  So frustrating at times ;)

Astyanax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »

What a nifty trick (shift, and then keybinding)!  Though I find that I'm kind of mediocre at combat, so I usually turn on autopilot and take control manually when it's safe to do so. :p

And thanks for the welcome! :)