Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starting ships  (Read 6355 times)

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starting ships
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »

Hello, i'm new to this forum. I could not find what i was looking for, so i'm asking here. Don't be mad at me if this was answered somewhere else.

Anyone know a list of all the possible starting ships ? And what options do i need to choose when creating a character to get each of them ? Thanks.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting ships
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »

Hi Andrius, welcome  :)

You can find a list of the starting ships and other usefull tips in this thread.

Here is what it says:

The starting ships are Wolf, Lasher, Vigilance, Hound or the Shuttle. The re-start (if you die) ships are Shuttle/Dram/Hound.  Which Ship you get depends on the second choice you make for your characters personal history.

The Wolf (choose 'quartermaster') is often considered the most powerful of the starting ships, but is hard to control.  It has initially no PD, a somewhat temperamental shipsystem, and struggles against shielded foes due to its reliance on beams.

The Lasher ('adjutant in the Hegemony Navy') is much more newbie-friendly. It comes with three PD weapons, an easy to figure out system, and has the most flexible mount type (there's a ballistic weapon for nearly every role).

The Vigilance ('helmed a patrol ship') is also a good choice given the right initial skill choices and weapon loadout, but again, probably not something a newbie will be able to figure out.

The Hound ('something else') should be avoided unless you put your initial skill points into unlocking the Frontal Shield Generator hullmod. The first thing you'll want to do is get a wing of Talons to increase your survivability slightly.

The Shuttle (always a choice) is a 'just in case' ship - it says so right in the code - and outside of a bug with a custom character creation plugin, I would only imagine it being used for self-imposed challenges.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:29:54 AM »

Thanks, that helped. Wolf is my favourite starting ship :)

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »

Lasher is great if you like point blank broadsides mgs are great for that i just wish there were beefier explosive autocannons to gorge armor but with and some salamanders and augmented engine means even hounds and destroyers hate you. ;D

entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »

Hello all. Aside from going into dev mode and pressing K can anyone tell me how to modify the game so i start with a different/bigger ship? Thank you!

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:32:59 AM »

sell your fuel, check the cash you have, go to save game and open in notepad, ctr-f look for the number (cash), edit the number, enjoy having tons of money.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »

Lasher is great if you like point blank broadsides mgs are great for that i just wish there were beefier explosive autocannons to gorge armor but with and some salamanders and augmented engine means even hounds and destroyers hate you. ;D

Have to agree with you, the Lasher is amazing.  Once you're through the armor with those assault guns the lmgs do so much damage.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:40:23 AM »

I actually prefer starting in a shuttle to a hound, perhaps I'm just insane.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »

I prefer the shuttle to everything else. Stick 2 tactical lasers on that puppy, and you can take out a hound in seconds.
Spoiler
Or you can do what I do and wait for it to run out of ammo on the autocannon and "sneak" in for the kill.
[close]
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »

I think starting in the Hound is the best. You can slaughter AI controlled Lashers very easily with a Hound. You have to be a good shot to win the Hound vs. Hound fights against the AI though (without taking a ton of damage anyway).

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »

I cannot survive without a Wolf.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »

I prefer to go with the hound because I've used it to the point that I'm pretty bad at piloting any other ship. I also occasionally start with the wolf which I then immediately sell for a hound early on, but then buy back as soon as I have the money, depending on which of the two I would like to have more available early on.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »

I prefer the shuttle to everything else.
You might want to rethink that—the Wolf is equal to or better than the Shuttle in every single stat (I guess technically the Shuttle has the advantage of being able to mount ballistic weapons, but if you favor tactical lasers that shouldn't be a problem).