Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Need More Fleet Points  (Read 3918 times)

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Need More Fleet Points
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »

Hi!

So, I'm new to this game. I fired it up and played for a bit, and now I'm getting the hang of it (I've got a destroyer, 3 frigates, 1 fighter and 1 bomber squad). I know i"m still way early, but I'm proud of my little fleet! Anyway, my accident risk is HIGH, and I think it's because I'm using 44/25 fleet points. I just realized that to increase my max fleet points, I need to put aptitude points into leadership (I put them all in combat). I really don't want to start over or dump ships. Is there a way I can edit my save file or install a mod that increases my current fleet points so I can have a bigger fleet without accidents? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about increasing some hard limit of how many fleet points are possible, or to increase the battlesize (I've been reading forum posts), I want to increase my CURRENT fleet points. I tried searching through the campaign/xml file for "25" and "fleetpoints", but both show up a TON of times, and idk, my xml file is HUGE. What can I do? 

Thanks!

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Need More Fleet Points
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

You could put some ships into the abandoned station to save it. If you wanted , you could modify the amount of fleetpoints.

oh, and welcome to the forum!
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »

You could put some ships into the abandoned station to save it. If you wanted , you could modify the amount of fleetpoints.

oh, and welcome to the forum!

1) Oh? I just go to it and "sell" them (ie, put them in the station), and then I save it or something? But does that give me more fleet points, or is it just a place to dock my ships and lower the number of points I'm using (i need my whole fleet to kill more things and get more aptitude points)?

2) How do I "modify the amount of fleetpoints."

3) Thanks!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »

Just mothball the rest of your fleet at the abandoned station and get 2 Enforcers and a Lasher - with that you'll be at 25 Fleet Points and still be able to easily pwn most pirate fleets... just be sure to put 2 flak cannons on the sides of the Enforcers. ;D

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »

You can either add more fleet points via the specific skill for that or if you upgrade the leadership far left skill 5 times, you acquire a boost of Fp. Also don't make my first mistake of buying a really expensive ship and wanting to store in abandoned station because you don't have enough crew. I lost y paragon use to getting intercepted mid transit.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »

OKay, I'll mothball for now and try to save up for some other ships, continue to level up, and put points into leadership (I'm currently level 8 ). My current fleet is:

1 Hammerhead Destroyer
1 Buffalo Destroyer (captured)
2 Vigilance frigates
1 dagger wing
1 gladius wing
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:21:50 PM by sirrealist »

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »

In my fleet, I bought the Hammerhead, one of the Vigilance (The other I started in) and the fighter and bomber wings. Should I sell the buffalo and get different ships? What about the vigilance? Are my fighter/bombers good? What are good ships for the AI to use (I pilot the Hammerhead)? I've read good things about Wolf, Hound, Lasher, Enforcer (in this thread) and Medusa. I haven't seen Hound, Enforcer or Medusa at the station yet, but it does have Laser and Wolf ships right now.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »

Tip repair ships entirely before sell you make a lot more money. I also recommend selling the buffalo. I find that givin the vigilance a single reaper torp and ir pulse laser +upped shielding makes a brilliant destroyer killer but is weak vs other frigates. If you go with this strat be aware of the fact that the AI may fire the tiro into the shields which doesn't benefit you a much. I would work toward getting a cruiser if I were you. the apogee with some variants can take on most pirate fleets solo. Haven't tried with arura yet though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:56:00 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »

Is it a Buffalo or Buffalo Mk 2? The Mk 2s are deathtraps and you should repair them and then sell'em off ASAP.

I personally dislike the Vigilance and would replace them with a Lasher or Wolf or even better go with a Tempest, though, those are really expensive.

If you favor fighter wings go with a Venture for your first cruiser as it has a flight deck, excellent missile support and is really quite durable. It can carry TONS of supplies too so you'll be able to loot everything no probs.

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »

Should I strip weapons off the ships before selling?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Yeah, strip them and THEN sell the weapons seperate from the hulls so if you want to rebuy one of the rarer weapon systems you won't need to buy the entire hull first...

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Yeah, strip them and THEN sell the weapons seperate from the hulls so if you want to rebuy one of the rarer weapon systems you won't need to buy the entire hull first...

Thanks! I actually keep all my weapon systems because I don't know what's good or not, or what I might need for my next ship.

sirrealist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »

How does new inventory work? I.E., there is only one place to buy ships, right? And so if you want to buy a specific ship, and that station doesn't have it, then you have to wait until it gets new inventory and hope for the best? I keep hearing about Apogee and Medusa ships, but I haven't seen them yet.

Also, does someone have an image of all the ships in the vanilla game, labeled? I've seen some images with all the ships but little to no labels, and some with only a few ships labeled... I'd like to see all the ships and their names and class, so I can follow the discussions about ships here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:05:55 PM by sirrealist »

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »

All stations save the abandoned station have ships you can purchase. The Apogee and Medusa are in the Tri-Tachyon station (the blue one).

Images, stats, and descriptions for all ships and weapons can be found in the codex.