Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Trade products and manufactoring  (Read 1721 times)

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Trade products and manufactoring
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »

Hey guys,
I know this will probably come when Industry is implemented but I think it would be nice to have items that made purely for trade purposes. An example would be Mount & Blade where there are things like iron, linen and pottery that you can only sell. Some trade products could be clothing, highly valuable biomass and alloys. This would give more reason to be a merchant or trader type character.

Now here's my idea for manufacturing. While there are certain items that you can only sell, there would also be ones that can be used for manufacturing weapons, trade products and possibly even ships. It would be a crafting system of sorts and would open up all sorts of possibilities. One could become a weapons producer and ship them all over the system, possibly destabilizing it and making it ripe for piracy. This would only be possible with the proper autofactory (an autofactory that makes trade products can not make ships and vice versa) and UAC.

Thanks for reading and please give feedback.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Trade products and manufactoring
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »

Would really be a great aspect of the game if you could really influence the development of systems and factions by either of trading large amounts of basic materials that are essential to colonial growth or by way of autofactory and selling military weapons and commodities to pirates to help them put the system into a state of chaos.
Its always a good day to die

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »

The idea of building up one star system or at least forestalling the fall of civilization in that system for some is a cool idea to me

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

I reckon the idea of being a "merchant of death" or "bringer of civilisation" would be a great one. In the course of several years, I can supply the lesser systems with weapons and then storm the Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon command facilities with a ragtag army. Of course, I'll let them do the fighting and I'll swoop in and clean up the mess.
On another note, I shall name my captain "Terry", so thatwhen the Hegemony insults me, I can say that they died of dissin' Terry. (Their advanced technology cannot save them from my puns)
Yes, you are reading to far into this.