Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Freighters  (Read 2407 times)

entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Freighters
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »

Hello all. Sorry if this is in the wrong section! I have been a member for a while but have not played starfarer starsector for a while. Either I have greatly improved as a virtual starship pilot or game was significantly harder when I first downloaded it. Either way I thought it was a great idea then and I am loving the game play now!

That being said I am not sure what the purpose of Freighters are? Just to have them in your fleet so they can carry supplies around?

So far I have created a New Game with Uomoz's mod. (its awesome!) I have built up a fleet that can just about destroy everything but I have no problem with supplies or cargo room. Also is it possible to travel to other places? I am not sure what the fuel is for... I have checked out the manual and noobie thread that was pinned but I still am unsure of those few things. Also I was reading about contracts between factions? How do I implement these contracts?

A quick explanation or a link to the threads with the explanation would be really helpful!

Thank you for your time!

~entropy

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Freighters
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »

This thread probably belongs in General Discussion rather than the Support section, but I'll answer your question.

Currently, there's not much use for freighters aside from hauling around the stuff you loot from battle, but that's not to say there never will be a good use for them. The campaign in its current state is basically a placeholder. It is planned that things like trade and industry will be viable, but the focus for most of the development so far has been on the combat, fleshing it out and making it feel good. Almost nothing pertaining to trade or industry is implemented into the base game just yet, however. (I don't actually know what mods do with that stuff, so someone else might provide better information)

So, there's not much use for freighters now, but the intent is that they will be more useful in future updates.

Oh, and there's no real use for fuel just yet either, other than being something to sell. As I mentioned, the campaign is just a placeholder and there's only one system to fly around.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:18:10 PM by naufrago »

entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply! Well the combat is so much fun! I love all the mods!

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »

The fuel will be there for when you can go to other places, as I understand it.
There will be different solar systems, and thus I imagine there's a cost for varying distances. There's already a stat for most of the ships that also indicate this.
Like 1.7 per lightyear or whatnot.
So you'll need more fuel for a larger fleet to jump between systems.
And then more if it's a bit of a distance.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »

The good thing about freighters is that that have a hangar capacity. This allows you not only to salvage more stuff, but to have more fighters without penalties.

entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:46 AM »

The good thing about freighters is that that have a hangar capacity. This allows you not only to salvage more stuff, but to have more fighters without penalties.

Ah cool, did not know that!