Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I give up  (Read 11615 times)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I give up
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »

I'd be inclined to disagree there. Most games have their difficulty in a more concrete way, like stat boosts/penalties (depending on who receives such), and (sadly, all too rarely) AI getting more intelligent. In fact, I can't think of a difficulty setting in a game that averts this

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »

Dosen't matter what game you play that's true all around. Some people find Hard easy, other find easy hard. Level designations are at best a guide as to what to expect

I've never heard of a game where people find hard 'easy' and easy 'hard'.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Rhenthyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »

Dosen't matter what game you play that's true all around. Some people find Hard easy, other find easy hard. Level designations are at best a guide as to what to expect

Most recently that comes to mind is XCOM where people complained that easy was to hard and hard wasnt hard enough, which led to it being patched. though i wasn't talking about it both in the same game, i was refering to the fact that some people can, and do find easy to be hard, and other people find hard to be easy.

TL2 is another good example, my partner struggled on normal and at times finds it to hard, i play on Veteran Hardcore and find it to easy.

What i'm suggesting is some indication as to what the choices are going to lead you to. The info is available on the forum, but it would be nice to have it ingame. even if it's on the last page where you choose your ship, just an indication of whether the expected game level is easy or something. though for that to really work you'd need a back button as well, otherwise it's a case of loging off and restarting, which is tedious

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:42 PM »

That's more a matter of the game being too easy or too hard in general. I've never heard of a game where the same person finds the easy setting hard or the hard setting easy.

As for your criticisms of Starsector, I do think that the early game is considerably harder than the late, but tedious? I don't think so. All the starting ships are pretty viable, it's just a matter of leveraging your strengths properly and picking fights you can win. You start with a decent amount of credits, so purchasing an extra wing of talons is pretty easy and will make your life much better. If anything, I'd like the middle and late game to be just as challenging at times as the early game.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »

I've never heard of a game where the same person finds the easy setting hard or the hard setting easy.

Yep.  The only thing that comes close to such state of flipped difficulty is Civilization series where advanced AI had more advanced techs to trade (aka exploited out of lol) but even still it only made it easier to get tech faster, which you needed to do in order to compete against the AIs.  It certainly didn't make the game easier because they got crapload of other buffs.

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 03:27:49 AM »

Another tactic that i used for the early game that is effective (and , admittedly , boring) is to just stick around to hegemony defense fleet , for some reason pirates are drawn to it , this will work really well if the hegemony planet an the pirate planet are at a point of their orbit where they are right next to each other.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »

I personally found the Deus Ex to be easiest on "realistic" and "easy" to be somewhat challenging. Hard was the most challenging.

I'm not 100% sure but i think the variable turn rates may be due to the 0% flux boost. It doesn't say any thing on the side with your speed boost, but it gives a maneuverability boost too.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »

A sneaky hint for starting the game if you are having trouble.
Grab the lasher class hull, sell everything off of it and go directly to the tri tachyon corporation. Put three railguns on the turrets. With this setup you can engage any one or two frigates you come up against. My advice from there is to get hold of the tri tachyon frigate that is worth 23K (The name escapes me but it has a teleporter) it's a long grind but completely worth it. From there it's not long till you can start getting destroyers and cruisers.

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »

My advice from there is to get hold of the tri tachyon frigate that is worth 23K (The name escapes me but it has a teleporter) it's a long grind but completely worth it. From there it's not long till you can start getting destroyers and cruisers.
It's the hyperion. And yes ,easely most powerful frigate.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »

For someone not used to twitch fighting I would recommend the Medusa destroyer over the Hyperion - cheaper, easier to fly, and it doesn't explode the instant you do something wrong :P

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »

Personally, my recommendation would be to begin with the missions first. They provide much more action and "fun" from the start, and train you up for the campaign. You also get the opportunity to tweak ship loadouts to your heart's desire without being limited by credits or station stocks.

I dislike "twitch-fighting," so I usually stick with capital ships or cruisers, and start off with the Enforcer (I sell everything and buy it as soon as I can afford the hull + 5 medium weapons on it), which usually happens after a few battle victories.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:20:30 AM by MidnightSun »
Pages: 1 [2]