Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition  (Read 21923 times)

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »

I have begun an LP of Dark Souls and would like any tips or tricks or advice the forums can offer. I'm not looking for a walkthrough, but I know one problem with the game is it does not explain itself well.

Episode 1 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOScwh2sWxM&feature , thanks for watching! ;D

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »

During the Awesome Games Done Quick marathon, someone did a speed run of the game in about an hour and a half or so. They gave some interesting facts and tips while they played, so you should watch that (not just for the tips, it's just well worth your time to watch). Can't remember where to get the footage of the marathon atm.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

If I watch that then it'll all be spoiled, I'm looking for advice on like what kinds of weapons or good for what situations, what sort of tools I should keep with me, what stats I should invest in, stuff like that.

Also, episode 2 anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdK5JMxDdH8&feature

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »

You need to find the Wand of Gamelon. In the third boss battle, if you press A+B on the keyboard AND controller at the same time, Link will appear, and the boss will become a dodongo that is promptly bombed. The dodongo drops the Wand of Gamelon - insta kill anything but one use.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

sini002

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »

early in game it's smart to get the drake sword wich you can get if you shoot off the red dragons tail. also most of the enemies/bosses who have tails will drop a weapon or item if you cut it off, same counts for the hydras but then you need to cut off all the heads

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »

Do not listen to him ^^^ this is a good idea but ruins the fun of the game(getting the drake sword). Really i would try out each weapon and see what you like the most. If i recomend any, the Halbird are pretty good as they act like spears but have a large range circular attack.

Must have for skills: Vitality, think of it as a being able to take more hits. Endurence is ok, but focus of vitality. As for everything else it depends what weapons you use. Weaspons have scailing, whichg is in there stats it should show a symbol and a c,b,a or something showing the scaling, which is what skills raise the power of that weapon. One final thing in the past episodes you have been 1 handing your weapon, try two handing, as it raises the damage output on it.

Also, yes another tip, the master key doesnt open a lot but is helpful for some doors, very little but some

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »

I'm in need of another kind of tip as well now, can you point me at some good-but-cheap-ish external hard drives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81WX5MkAKxw&feature

misterjscape

• Ensign
  • Tyrant of My Head.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

Well I just commented on your video (episode 2) and I found this lol
I'll just copy paste...

"Jumping into Dark Souls are you?
A few tips.
endurance and vitality are a must, you should usually have at least 40 points in each as you level up.
Upgrade your weapons and armor as soon as possible, although a 5-10 damage or a 2 defense increase in your equipment might not seem as helpful as increasing you level, it will make a huge difference in survivability.
Lastly, keep fast roll...that? is all.
Good luck, have fun, and I look forward to more Dark Souls from you :)"

Also I would suggest not getting Drake Sword, you'll get a little more outta the game that way, also as an extra tip, I would suggest not getting weapons based around dealing bleed damage as most enemies in the game won't take bleed damage. 
Pyromancy is usually good for new players (sorcery works too, but that requires you to put points into knowledge), you'll find a guy in tattered armor (the armor that the pyromancy class has) later on in a place called the depths, he'll appear in firelink shrine after you meet him and from there he'll give you a pyromancy glove and will let you upgrade it for souls, he also has pyromancies that you can buy from him.
Again, good luck, have fun and Know that you have people watching your Dark Souls videos (and Starsecter videos...I'm still not used to that name).
:3

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »

You seem very confused in this new episode. So your strength is the member that is next to the word strength in the skills, next to vitality and stuff. And how you see the requirements is by hovering over the weapon and pressing X. It will also show you if it's better than the weapon your holding ATM. You might want to level up strength as it seems like you want to have bigger weapons so you new that.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:42 AM »

Wand o' Gamelon!
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

External HDD you say? You've come to the right man!

Depends on what you mean by cheep... The 100$ Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB 3 with USB 2 is supposedly superb.

Or

The Western Digital Elements Desktop 3TB 140$ will probably give you more storage for the price. But its USB 2 though. But the speed is 500Mbps so its good :)

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »

Justin, I expect with a $1,000 dollar laptop you'll have an additional 2.5", so chuck in a 1/2TB slim HDD.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »

How exactly do Humanity levels work? Where do I upgrade equipment? Really, the poor self-explanation is the only thing I can fault the game for right now.

misterjscape

• Ensign
  • Tyrant of My Head.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »

The humanity "levels" on the top left of your screen is the current amount of humanity you are using, all that effects is how often items drop, your curse resistance (you'll learn what happens when you are cursed later on, just know it is bad), and your physical resistance.

Humanity can also be used to give yourself humanity, which is to turn yourself human.  Being human does a number of things, it lets you kindle bonfires, which increases the amount of estus flask you get from resting near that bonfire, lets you access online features, one being the ability to summon other people to your world to help you fight the area boss, another more notable one being that it allows the game to let people invade your world.  The invader's goal is to kill you.  Essentially, becoming human puts you in online mode.

You upgrade weapons and armor at a blacksmith with titanite, you will meet your first blacksmith soon.

Edit.  btw, remember the place you died?  Before going past that small bridge there is a bonfire to the left of it past the plank of wood.  Also the shield you have right now is good for parrying, try and do it more often.  Parrying is kinda weird, you don't parry where the weapon looks like it is hitting, you parry the enemy as though you are trying to parry his fist. You can parry anyone who is humanoid and not five times your size. You'll start to really enjoy the game once you get past the undead burg, don't give up on the game!
...I wanna watch your whole let's play :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:02:22 PM by misterjscape »
:3

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 06:27:35 AM »

This video might help explain stuff. I pre watched it and it has no spoilers

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c21w40cHQdE

It doesn't explain stuff you don't know, so I recomend playing around with your inventory and stuff to get the hang of how it works. Like pressing X over your weapon or how to equipe items in your hot bar ect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5