Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't download game since update  (Read 3283 times)

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Can't download game since update
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »

Hi,

I tried searching the forums but didn't find a similar issue or fix.  I've tried using multiple browsers and disabling my antivirus software, but I can't get the game to download for windows.  (Linux and Mac versions download just fine). 

Any help would be appreciated :) Thanks a lot!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can't download game since update
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »

Hi - have you tried the alternate download links at the bottom of this page?

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »

Yep - it gives me the same problem as the normal download links

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »

What exactly happens?

This is odd because the alternate links are on a different server (same as this forum, actually, where the regular ones are hosted on Amazon). At least one of those should work, unless something on your end is preventing the download of an exe - but turning off the antivirus should have in theory covered that. Are you sure you actually turned it off? :)

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

Pretty sure my antivirus is turned off.  Just to make sure, I uninstalled my av software and it still does the same thing.

When I try to download in chrome, it just stops immediately and says "download error"
When i try to download in firefox, it becomes unresponsive and freezes.  Firefox has to be forced to shut down.
In internet explorer, it fails and says it can't be downloaded.  If I click retry, it downloads the file and then says it might have been moved or deleted.

Since I don't have any kind of AV software or anti-malware software installed right now, not sure why that happens.  I've updated all of the browsers and run them without any extra addons or plugins like ad blockers etc.  

And like I said, the other versions download just fine :(

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

From a different browser, I get a message that says cannot save file because the source file could not be read

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »

Can you try saving the file to a different locations? (Alt-click on the link). Could have something to do with a partial download mucking things up.

Also: try http://s3.amazonaws.com/fractalsoftworks/starsector/starsector_install-0.54.1a-RC2.blah, and rename to .exe.

In either case, something odd is going on on your end... beyond the partial download guess, not sure what it could be.

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »

I've tried saving it on different partitions and folders, it always has the same thing.  When I click your link, I get this

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>98E834127919BA65</RequestId>
<HostId>
44c3CMN7aN/0Zy4ZR+KbhdWWoTv/p+gJ5CNXVCbA1J3Ha98l7mlw6+0XVZ6mZypX
</HostId>
</Error>

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »

I think it is a some AntiVirus program blocking .exe file - other links have archives so they are fine to download. So - try to disable AV program before download. Either way some software blocking the download for sure. Maybe try to download from the new user profile?

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »

Hey Vind,

Thanks for the suggestion - I uninstalled my AV software, and it still happens.  I can download .exe files from any other website as well - just downloaded and installed opera, and it gives me an error too. 

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »

I've tried saving it on different partitions and folders, it always has the same thing.  When I click your link, I get this

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>98E834127919BA65</RequestId>
<HostId>
44c3CMN7aN/0Zy4ZR+KbhdWWoTv/p+gJ5CNXVCbA1J3Ha98l7mlw6+0XVZ6mZypX
</HostId>
</Error>

Ooops, I pasted the wrong link. Try this one :)

http://www.fractalsoftworks.com/starsector/release/starsector_install-0.54.1a-RC2.blah

salint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »

Still getting the same problem, even if I don't rename the file it still gives me an error.  I'll download the file and move it to my computer with a flash drive, and see if my computer might be infected with something. 

Thanks for all the help though