Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector messes with my display settings and doesn't accept Alt+F4  (Read 4080 times)

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile

So I have a Nvidia card and I have used the control panel to adjust the desktop color settings, namely gamma. Starsector seems to reset that to default, kinda. The screen is way too bright, yet in the control panel it's still set to "use Nvidia settings". I have to set it to "use default settings" first (which visibly does nothing), then to Nvidia settings again (which makes the picture darker, as it's supposed to be). As I play Starsector more and more, this is rapidly becoming a major problem. It's the only game I have ever played that does this, too. Please fix.

Secondly, Starsector doesn't accept Alt+F4. It won't even close itself when I click the big red X button in windowed mode. That's a standard that all Windows applications are supposed to adhere to, the fact that Starsector doesn't is unacceptable. Please fix.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector messes with my display settings and doesn't accept Alt+F4
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »

So I have a Nvidia card and I have used the control panel to adjust the desktop color settings, namely gamma. Starsector seems to reset that to default, kinda. The screen is way too bright, yet in the control panel it's still set to "use Nvidia settings". I have to set it to "use default settings" first (which visibly does nothing), then to Nvidia settings again (which makes the picture darker, as it's supposed to be). As I play Starsector more and more, this is rapidly becoming a major problem. It's the only game I have ever played that does this, too. Please fix.

I suspect this may be a driver issue, as I also have an Nvidia card (and Windows 7), and am unable to reproduce this behavior - the game runs with whatever gamma settings the Nvidia control panel is set to, and doesn't mess with it. Do you play any other OpenGL games? Are the drivers up to date?

Secondly, Starsector doesn't accept Alt+F4. It won't even close itself when I click the big red X button in windowed mode. That's a standard that all Windows applications are supposed to adhere to, the fact that Starsector doesn't is unacceptable. Please fix.

Done. Been meaning to get around to this for a while.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:13 AM »

I suspect this may be a driver issue, as I also have an Nvidia card (and Windows 7), and am unable to reproduce this behavior - the game runs with whatever gamma settings the Nvidia control panel is set to, and doesn't mess with it. Do you play any other OpenGL games? Are the drivers up to date?

I don't have any other OpenGL games, but I did a bit of searching and it seems this is a known bug in Nvidia drivers that's been around for years. Bugger! >:( How about a borderless window mode, then? That would be a nice workaround.
Updating the drivers has made it worse, btw. Previously I just had to switch from Nvidia settings to default and back to reset it, now that doesn't work anymore and I have to actually move the slider for it to take effect. So thanks for that. ;)

Done. Been meaning to get around to this for a while.

Awesome! That one's been really bugging me, when I want to ragequit I want to ragequit now. ;D It's great when game devs respond to feedback like that. :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »

Ah. Well, you could always downgrade the drivers :) (What fun!)

Not sure how borderless windows play into this, but you can actually do this now - edit data/config/settings.json, and change

"undecoratedWindow":false,

to

"undecoratedWindow":true,

(Oh, I think I see - this only happens in fullscreen mode?)

Awesome! That one's been really bugging me, when I want to ragequit I want to ragequit now. ;D It's great when game devs respond to feedback like that. :)

Hah, I so knew that this was about ragequitting :) "Hmm, what's the use case where this comes up... oh."

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »

Ah. Well, you could always downgrade the drivers :) (What fun!)

Already did. Oh how I love it when driver updates break things that used to work perfectly fine!

Not sure how borderless windows play into this, but you can actually do this now - edit data/config/settings.json, and change

"undecoratedWindow":false,

to

"undecoratedWindow":true,

(Oh, I think I see - this only happens in fullscreen mode?)

Oooh, excellent! And yes, this only happens in fullscreen mode. I didn't say that? Stupid me. But yeah, fake fullscreen via borderless window set to my desktop resolution fixes it nicely. It does mean that the mouse cursor isn't constrained and runs off onto my second monitor if I'm not being careful, but that's less of an annoyance than having to fiddle with my display settings every time I close the game, so I'm happy with that. Thank you very much for your help. :)

Hah, I so knew that this was about ragequitting :) "Hmm, what's the use case where this comes up... oh."

What can I say, your game is amazingly fun but sometimes also amazingly rage-inducing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:14:33 AM by Sordid »