Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [0.9a] Galatia Complete [1.5] - Galactic Space Music Mod  (Read 106491 times)

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Galatia Complete [1.5] - Galactic Space Music Mod
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »

Why not just list what each song is? There seems to be a lot of confusion over the music in this mod.
The only tracks I can probably come up with a name for are the most recent additions from 1.5 the others were all royalty free from various collections I have from over the past 20 years with exceptions of about 12. But this really isn't about the names of would-be tracks and more about persmission.

Yeah, but if the claimant can't even give you the name of the song that is supposedly copyrighted, how can the claim be serious?

You should put it up for download until the person contacts you directly.

Gaudium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2018, 07:57:36 AM »

Why did you take it down?
XCOM 2 has a music mod that uses complete soundtrack of Deux Ex and other soundtracks.
XCOM EU/EW had a music mod where people would just use anything they liked to play in their game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1122426692

Only one thing bothers other creators, and that is if you are making money using their soundtracks which you don't.
So i don't see the problem here.

Others steal from games and other sources, so that makes it OK.
No. Neither does it make it OK if no $ is made from it.

For any questions or concerns about any of the music used in the mod feel free to email me.

Why not just list what each song is? There seems to be a lot of confusion over the music in this mod.

Nobody is stealing anything and that what makes it OK.
Electronic Arts even allowed the creation of Renegade X as long as it doesn't make any profit.
Just as an example the length some would go and it's still fine with the actual owner of the IP.
This is EA we are talking about, the money hungry corporate monster.

This mod has some unknown fellow's music, big woah!
The music isn't being distributed, it isn't being paid for, hell we don't even have the tracklist to begin with or a way to cut it out. Not that anyone would go such a length.
So relax, no need to call people thieves. It's called modding.

P.S Another example is Third Age mod for Medieval Total War 2 that uses LOTR music, in fair use which means the allowed playtime.
So another approach would be editing and cutting the run time of the alleged "stolen" tracks down to fair use run time.

Or just cut them out and let whoever has a problem with it to remain unknown.

I personally don't use this mod, i just find it silly to be removed because of a such a minute detail.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:07:30 AM by Gaudium »

Computica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »

For now I want everyone to just be patient, I'm going to put up a trimmed down version of the mod after I get permission to ise some newer tracks.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »

You should put it up for download until the person contacts you directly.

Just touching on this point, as it seems to summarise a common viewpoint expressed in this thread by some; for clarity:

Regardless of legalities (which I imagine would strongly suggest this is a bad idea), the forum needs permissions in place when creative works are being distributed via the forum.

It’s never been enough for sprites to ‘wait for a complaint’ (we have been excellent at working together / self-policing to make sure graphical art is not borrowed outside terms of original creation); and it isn’t enough for audio either.

It’s obviously complicated in the case of historical compilations such as this - but regardless of what we may think about intent / feelings of creator - it just is NOT ENOUGH to assume and we must have EXPRESS permission in place.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

CaptainBadger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 04:31:19 AM »

Just going to put it out there, I *REALLY* want this mod ASAP, but I'd rather it be (re)posted with no risk of being taken down due to copyright strike or what have you a bit later than right now with the chance (good one considering today's fun-fun legal environment) that it'll be permanently shut down due to copyright infringement.

I'm looking forward to this, but I can wait if it means it's reposted with more work done on it in the interim of working out all the legalese.  Take your time man, don't let us pressure you into releasing it immediately, short-term gain for long-term loss and all that.

All I ask is that the mod be updated/refined/added to in the meantime, maybe had a compatibility pass done on it to ensure that it'll play nice with the other popular mods.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:33:54 AM by CaptainBadger »

Computica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2018, 01:38:15 PM »

I got several permissions for the tracks that weren't royalty free. Expect a new release from me next month after I add a few more tracks.

CaptainBadger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2019, 03:34:32 AM »

So, um, I hate to be the guy to ask, but next month was 4 months ago, any idea when the ETA of the mod is?

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »

thank you for taking the effort to:

a) credit the source for each piece and gain permission...it is really important for creatives to keep ownership of their stuff and for people to find them. 

I would never had heard of Max Corbacho (for example) and he would have never gotten my $70 for buying nearly his entire collection of space ambient tunes had I not found them via a youtuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/RaverJedi). 

Similarly, I look forward to finding (and hopefully matching) on the good tunes from your collection so that I can find more about that artist.

b) embark on a quest to add curated space battle/ambient music to one of my fave games.

Computica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2019, 03:58:02 PM »

So far I had to remove a lot of tracks, but I would advise you all look up Lorn @Bandcamp and "In Space" by Royksopp. Those are the pieces of music you all have probably heard which I can't post here until I get permission. I could probably get permission from Lorn but I advise you all check out and buy his music for yourself.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2019, 08:28:18 PM »

thanks for the tip

CaptainBadger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 02:16:48 AM »

So far I had to remove a lot of tracks, but I would advise you all look up Lorn @Bandcamp and "In Space" by Royksopp. Those are the pieces of music you all have probably heard which I can't post here until I get permission. I could probably get permission from Lorn but I advise you all check out and buy his music for yourself.

How many tracks did you have to remove out of the total?  Were they just filler or some of the more integral content of the mod?  I'm just asking because I always appreciate more content in just about anything, so hearing you had to remove "a lot of tracks" from a mod such as this is always a bit of a downer for me, but I do hope you were still able to retain the majority of your content.

Robb_w

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »

* bump * Anything new captain ?

Computica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »

Sorry I haven't been modding lately just messing with rendering, when I get the chance to start playing Starsector again I'll definitely post a update.

EDIT:
Just got several permissions over the weekend; will be adding some of the tracks I originally removed. 8)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:49:32 AM by Computica »

Hate9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »

Could you at least post a link to the old version until you have all the permissions for the new one?

Lord_Matheas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2019, 06:22:28 AM »

im not really getting this argument here, why exactly cant he post the mod? is the site gonna be in danger somehow if he does?

can  they even claim anything on such an obscure site as this?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:33:22 AM by Lord_Matheas »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6