Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starsector may not even need to use Steam Greenlight.  (Read 19488 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector may not even need to use Steam Greenlight.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

Don't approach Steam until you are at version 1.0 (or at least have a firm release date).

The game I'm working on, Kinetic Void, got Greenlit in the third wave. They're actually pretty cool about that stuff once you're "lit". Our release is nebulously set as Q1/2. The Steam reps don't seem to care.

Games that get released too soon on Steam get crushed (and they should). Developers need to be 100% accountable for the state in which their game is in, and if I pay full-price for a game, I had better get a full game.

I'm fine with a game if it says something like "Hey, our game isn't done yet, but we'll sell it to you in it's current state anyway (for a reduced price, early access, or other cool bonus stuff)." rather than "Oh, and by the way, the game you just bought at $30 doesn't yet have all the features we advertised and is extremely buggy, but we (as the developers) felt that it was good enough to be released as a full game."

I'm still stunned by the complete and utter *** that was Legends of Pegasus.

And with that, I feel like I've said everything I needed to say (and probably more) about releasing on Steam.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »

Starsector indeed doesn't need Steam Greenlight, you could just use Desura alphafunding instead.

Harabeck

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »

Starsector indeed doesn't need Steam Greenlight, you could just use Desura alphafunding instead.

As much as I'd like there to be good competition, Desura doesn't get anywhere near the same amount of traffic as Steam.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Obiviously that'd change if Starsector were to be released there. ;)</irony>
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:51:21 PM by null »

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »

Not really. There are many people who swear by steam and will refuse to touch anything else, even DRM free versions direct from the developers for less money.
Far fewer people feel the same about Desura.

It can't hurt to have it on Desura, but to say that Steam isn't a worthwhile platform to release the game on is pure folly. And no, the release on Starsector on Desura won't magically make it more popular than steam. Not by a long shot.

Also, people need to stop pretending $100 is a lot of money. For even the smallest game development company, that's nothing. If they really were THAT poor (Like, really really poor. Ramen noodles and Mother's basement poor) the odds they couldn't just get a few community members to chip in are little to none. But if they were that poor, the game wouldn't exist would it?
Pages: 1 [2]