Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do you name your ships?  (Read 9549 times)

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What do you name your ships?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »

I like to give mine quirky names, like "Honest Mistake" or "Mostly Harmless" (that one's reserved for Onslaughs).

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »

I Ted to name cargo ships silly names like space waffles and name warships stuff like Solaris.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »

Randomized Japanese names for the most part.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »

I mostly just come up with names that seem to fit the ship. For example, I usually name a hound Thorn, or Dagger. A ship with heavy shields tends to be Bastion or Repulsion. I once had a couple of Wolf class frigates than I named Pins and Needles, had a brawler named Bulwark. Whatever really fits the ship I'm naming.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »

I guess I just don't see the point in naming them at this point. Ships at the moment feel too replaceable to get attached enough to name them.

Hotshot3434

• Ensign
  • "Time For Some Thrilling Heroics"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »

I tend to go for names from mythology:
Daedalus, Icarus, Artemis, Ares, ect.

I also like names that have meaning. Usually the first Tempest-class ship i acquire is renamed to Altair, not only as a shout out to Assassin's Creed, but also because it translates to "The Flying Eagle"

troublegum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:23:31 AM »

I like to give mine quirky names, like "Honest Mistake" or "Mostly Harmless" (that one's reserved for Onslaughs).

Culturnik detected. Do you also have a bunch of ships with names like "Very Little Gravitas Indeed?"

When naming individual ships, I too, go for Banksian quirkiness. Ethics Gradient. Aeon Hawk. Annual Sparrow. Attitude Adjuster. Or Greek mythology/history. Xenophon, Agamemnon, Parmenion and so on. Though I generally prefer to name classes of ships on mythological/historical figures lines rather than individual vessels.

Oh, and a Tempest-class vessel? Clear Skies, of course.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:26:32 AM by troublegum »

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 03:27:49 AM »

Culturnik detected. Do you also have a bunch of ships with names like "Very Little Gravitas Indeed?"

I don't know what that means, and no, I don't.

troublegum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »

I don't know what that means, and no, I don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

Honest Mistake and Mostly Harmless are just two of the many weird names chosen by the AIs controlling Culture ships in the sci-fi novels featuring them. As for the gravitas thing, the author gave an interview in which he joked about the lack of "serious" names for Culture ships. Which gave birth to, amongst others, the Very Little Gravitas Indeed and Stood Way Back When The Gravitas Was Being Handed Out. So far, the longest Culture ship name goes to unclassified Mistake Not... which, it turns out is short for Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

I've always liked Ultimate Ship II.

Anyway, a Culturnik is a loose term employed by fans of Banks' Culture novels, taken from a term used by Culture humans to refer to one another.

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »

This is going to make a lot of people roll their eyes so hard their corneas fall off but I usually name my flag-ship after my wife.

After that I will name my other ships depending on their role. My fast-attack frigates get names like Drake, Dragonfly and Firefly. My freighters will get called something like Bounty or Cornucopia.

For my cruisers and capital ships I have a specific naming scheme. The largest fleet I ever assembled had seven such ships named: Victory, Amazon, Medusa, Agamemnon, Alexander, Diadem and Bellerophon. I'll be very impressed if anyone gets the reference.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:55:13 AM by Pendragon »

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »

I only ever rename my flagship, my current one being the ISS Infamous. I bounce between names like that and Culture-esque names.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 12:18:15 PM »

This is going to make a lot of people roll their eyes so hard their corneas fall off but I usually name my flag-ship after my wife.

After that I will name my other ships depending on their role. My fast-attack frigates get names like Drake, Dragonfly and Firefly. My freighters will get called something like Bounty or Cornucopia.

For my cruisers and capital ships I have a specific naming scheme. The largest fleet I ever assembled had seven such ships named: Victory, Amazon, Medusa, Agamemnon, Alexander, Diadem and Bellerophon. I'll be very impressed if anyone gets the reference.

Hrrrmmm well those are all names of Napoleonic era British sailing vessels, and Nelson commanded a fair few of them. Were they all present at Trafalgar or the Nile?

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

Hrrrmmm well those are all names of Napoleonic era British sailing vessels, and Nelson commanded a fair few of them. Were they all present at Trafalgar or the Nile?

Give the man a cigar. They were never together at one place as far as I'm aware but they are all ships that either acted as Nelson's flagship when he was admiral or that he commanded directly as a Captain/Commander. I have always find the combat in Starsector fairly reminiscent of the naval combat of that era, huge ships trading volleys as they close, and so it has always seemed appropriate.

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »

Wait you can name your ships in-game?...

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

Wait you can name your ships in-game?...

On the refit screen, click on where the ship's name is shown down at the bottom and you can type a new one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3