Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter, Drones, and Colonies  (Read 3754 times)

Micromanagment

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Fighter, Drones, and Colonies
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »

Instead of having fighter wing and mining drone class ships, why not combine
them with the larger class ships? You would be able to go to colonies and buy fighters
or mining drones for your large ships.

Fighters - Depending on the size of your ship, you can carry 10 - 100 of them.
Not really sure what the scale of fighters should be.

Sabotage Drones - 3-5 small drones that can sabotage targeted enemy system and disable them.

Colonies - You can start a colony by terraforming a planet, and having the tech to do it.
I also thing that giving colonies the ability to study/research technology would increase the things a
player can do in a game. Each planet needs to have a limited ammount of rescources, so transport
ships would be used more frequently.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter, Drones, and Colonies
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »

It's worth noting that the lore we've seen so far as explicitly said the technology/knowledge to terraform planets has been lost which is why the core home worlds are so important!

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »

them with the larger class ships? You would be able to go to colonies and buy fighters

Dedicated carriers and capital ships will always give you more bang for your buck.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Micromanagment

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »

It's worth noting that the lore we've seen so far as explicitly said the technology/knowledge to terraform planets has been lost which is why the core home worlds are so important!

I imagined a system were you receive tech points from research building, that you can build on your colonies. Terraforming should be introduced later in the main game mode, so that game time could increase, and it would help to build a greater empire than you could at first.
If not you could always add star systems that already include planets that humans could settle on. You could also add special domes that the home worlds could build, and these domes let a specific number of people to live in them. Why not add different starting civilization?
Each civilization could start off on a different type of planet, and they could colonize different planets to.

Micromanagment

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »

Dedicated carriers and capital ships will always give you more bang for your buck.

That is true, but if you have fighter you also gain the extra firepower to turn the tide of the battle, and the game already has fighters in it, I am just recommending to combine fighters and other class ships together.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »

From a stand point that it would be very fun, it would totally work as a suggestion.

But unless the ships in question are always going to work alone. One ship that holds all the fighters, and the other ship holds all the guns will tend to give you more fighters and more firepower than two ships that does both combined. The extra firepower will tend to fall to the people who make their ships efficient.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »

Also you'd need a ridiculous amount of biomass in order to make dirt for crops and stuff. It's not trivial, and I think it's probably beyond the scope of the game. Though maybe you could discover a world that is uninhabited, but habitable?
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »

I don't know about uninhabited. What's written is that the habitable planets had been inhabited before before the gate to the sector was cut off and everything gradually went into the toilet. I know that there are certainly going to be planets that people could settle on as there was mention of people going a bit wild once everything was well and gone. You might have to defend the settlement from those wild humans here and there, but it's not like you're going to have to defend a small outpost from states that exist on the planets nor anything beyond bows and arrows from what I understand.

As for colonies themselves, I think Alex claimed somewhere that the player wouldn't have the ability to colonize in the game. The reasons he gives for this is that at the time of starfarer, everything technologically related is on the decline. People are able to maintain and construct cruder tools that do the job more or less, but the high technology stuff the sector had when it was in contact with earth is no longer possible to produce. As such, it's going to be quite hard to ferry over hundred or even just tens of thousands of people onto a planet, and this is assuming the player has the ability to convince the people to go there willingly.

The second reason has a little to do with the first. Inhabited planets are going to be massive power houses compared to stations and such due to their sheer population. Perhaps planting sever thousand people on a planet might not be all that hard, but given the story's restraints, they might not be able to successfully get the planet up and working anywhere near self sustaining levels never mind funding a fleet with resources, cash, and manpower for their ships.

For all intents and purposes, the player is in charge of a small fleet from what I could discern. Getting the cooperation of more than a few hundred thousand people is probably going to take a bit more than that.

Maybe we can establish outposts on moons and asteroids though.

Micromanagment

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »

I still support the idea of research.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:58 AM »

I still support the idea of research.

Research will effectively be in, but not as you describe. The excitement and discovery associated with new technologies will come from finding and stealing blueprints (existing knowledge) rather than coming up with your own ideas.

This is a big part of the concept, the lore and the flavour of the game and it's world.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"