Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: standing orders  (Read 1768 times)

floatercommander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
standing orders
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »

Hello. I must say this looks to be a great game.

So, suggestion. Tell me if I'm being an idiot, but I'd REALLY like a handful of standing orders allowing the player to set rules of engagement.
For example a setting for fighters to steer clear of capital ships unless a strike is ordered. Similarly one for capital ships to not run after frigates.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: standing orders
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »

Hello. I must say this looks to be a great game.

So, suggestion. Tell me if I'm being an idiot, but I'd REALLY like a handful of standing orders allowing the player to set rules of engagement.
For example a setting for fighters to steer clear of capital ships unless a strike is ordered. Similarly one for capital ships to not run after frigates.

Kinda like GSB settings prior to starting combat?   Yeah, that sounds useful, but at the same time, I'm not sure if it falls under Alex's vision for the AI.  If he decides to add some of that pre battle preferences, or even in-battle orders, I think I'd enjoy it however.  :) 

If I had to guess though, I doubt he would let you give absolute orders in that manner, a more likely outcome would be an increase in the fighters AI avoiding capital ships for the duration of that order, or causing the Capital Ship AI to be somewhat more cautious of chasing frigates.  He seems to want to avoid cut and dried commands and absolute orders for the most part, to avoid the micromanaging aspect that would crop up there.

Pretty good idea at a basic level though, in my opinion.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.