Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship System: Hull Degaussing  (Read 3003 times)

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship System: Hull Degaussing
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

Hayo!

So. Last night I was watching a really bad movie called "The Philadelphia Experiment", and the subject of "degaussing" came up. Basically, degaussing was a process which rendered a warship "invisible" to mines that detected a ship by it's magnetic field, when the degaussing was turned on. This drew a ton of power though. I then thought; "Wouldn't this be awesome in Starfarer (Starsector, yes, I know)?!"

So basically, I was thinking that this would make a really cool ship system. For example, when it was turned on, all explosives such as mines and missiles (maybe not missiles? IDK) would bounce harmlessly off the hull. The downside, though, is that it would take down your shields and generate hard flux while active. when inactive, flux would dissipate like normal, and etc.

Please do keep in mind that the mechanics I just said are my idea of how it should be, and I would be glad to have a discussion with you all for changes and balancing and everything. Please do try to stick to constructive criticism and keep the discussion civilized and free of ass-hattery. Thanks!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ship System: Hull Degaussing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »

So far, I see no reason for this.  None of the weapons in the game rely on magnetic signitures to track (yet). :) But it sounds like a good idea.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ship System: Hull Degaussing
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »

in terms of lore,  it's not quite useful when you can only have one ship system and that particular system is only useful against 1 type of missile....
Fleet construction in progress.