Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: What is your favorite ship?  (Read 39198 times)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite ship?
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »

Astral, more fighters=more guns, more guns=more dakka. :D
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

With +50% OP and various perks?  The Odyssey.  It does everything well, but needs help from skills to really shine.
Without boosts from skills?  The Paragon.  It wrecks fleets with or without help from skills.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »

My favourite ship would be the Mule. That's because I like worn-looking civilian ships that have some combat ability. I like the challenge of flying such a ship and improving upon its abilities. Hence why I started the Tore Up Plenty mod. This may come from my love of ships like Firefly's Serenity and Star Wars' Millenium Falcon.

I am personally hoping on a cruiser or capital classed armed civilian trader, like the Mule. The Venture comes close but doesn't quite cut it for me. Also, actual trade would make this play style so much more interesting.

Scottnolan333

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »

Dominator class Cruiser big with lots of guns nuff said

I typically run it with 2 Hephaestus assault cannons, 4 rail guns, 2 dual flack cannon, 3 harpoon MRM pods and 4 frag bomb bays

i can guarantee if you pilot it right not a single fighter or missile will hit you with that setup :D   

Toughbrook

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »

The wolf is mine,i like teleporting behind front sheilded ships and then realashing off 2-3 missiles

Mordet

• Ensign
  • BidiiBidiiBidiiBidii.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »

I typically run it with 2 Hephaestus assault cannons, 4 rail guns, 2 dual flack cannon, 3 harpoon MRM pods and 4 frag bomb bays

Nice loadout, However I personally prefer
  • 2x MK.IX autocannon
  • 2x Heavy Maulers
  • 3x Railguns
  • 6x Frag Bomb Bay
  • 3x Annihilator Rocket Pods

The heavy amount of Kinetic damage destroys shields and forces the opponent to either drop them or get overloaded and at that point the maulers will do their job helped by the rockets.

BTW, the Frag Bomb Bay is, by far, the best small mount PD. Just saying.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »

They are? How?  ???
Bomb bays spit bomb at like 1m/s faster than you and they inherit speed from your ship. How do they work as PD?

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:19 AM »

They are? How?  ???
Bomb bays spit bomb at like 1m/s faster than you and they inherit speed from your ship. How do they work as PD?

I wondered about that too, the only real use they seem to have is for bombers or area denial. How can something be PD when it practically just sits there doing nothing.

Scottnolan333

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2013, 07:05:28 AM »

Frag bomb bays when set to auto fire create a wall of proximity mines and due to there slow movement are great for covering slow/stationary ships also they are more than capable of simply one hitting huge salvos of missiles as well as causing a decent amount of damage to smaller ships that would typically try orbiting you and hitting exposed parts of your ship.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »

They are? How?  ???

By default they are a bit tricky to use as their range is set very high and so the AI wastes them a lot, but if you mod them to have a very short range (like 70), a bit more ammo and "DO_NOT_AIM" and "PD" as ai hints they work perfectly against missiles that get too close to your ship. Until ammo runs out, that is...
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

nonomo4

• Lieutenant
  • The Light!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »

Conquest, love its idea of firepower on right or left side. Also enjoy its ability to move freely though the battlefield at pretty decent speeds.  :)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »

The Hyperion is my favorite high-tech ship.  I love building it as a Strike Frigate and it's bubble-shield reminds me of old-school arcade shooters.

For low-tech, probably the Enforcer.  It's the only Destroyer with 5 Medium Ballistic slots and you can outfit it with all kinds of awesome firepower combinations.

I still have a soft spot for the Brawler, despite it sucking so badly.  I really, really want a Gunship-style Frigate that uses high maneuverability and oversized (Medium Ballistic!) weapon slots in combination with Accelerated Ammo Feeders to wreck things in record time.

Too bad the damn thing is slow as molasses, has no way to shield it's rear from Salamanders, and a relatively low Flux Capacity/Dissipation rate.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »

I have a really hard time deciding which ship I could honestly say is my favourite. The core epoch vessels all have a special place in my heart, really. The Brawler, with its bulky design and heavy (for a frigate) armour is incredible when it comes to scaring off light cruisers from flanking larger ships, considering the bristling amount of firepower it can bring to bear. Armed with a pair of Hypervelocity cannons to offset its gimped speed, it can really do some damage. The two universal hardpoints can let it back up that shield-busting firepower with either harpoons or potentially light assault guns. (But probably harpoons.) The vigilance is a right little monster, if put into the hands of a skilled pilot. The oversized medium energy hardpoint, generally best outfitted with a pulse laser, or a phase beam, is an excellent harassing weapon. Backing that up with a Harpoon MRM pod for those opportune moments throughout the battle, it can easily dish out a hell of a lot for the OP cost.

Can't forget those core epoch fighters, either. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they have an excellent balance between weapons, armour, speed, and manoeuvrability. And a wide array of battlefield roles. The broadswords are excellent line fire support fighters, overloading shields and nixing talon or wasp spam. Gladius fighters can honestly go toe to toe with frigates. The warthogs can turn a close battle with a cruiser on its head with an opportune strafing run on its engines, or sides. And the thunders are nightmarishly good when it comes to fast-capping strategic points, and harassing just about anything that isn't overloaded with PD lasers.

The hammerhead and sunder are some of the most interestingly balanced destroyers I've seen in the game, as well. They both look amazing, and offer up interesting tactical opportunities. Bringing to bear four energy hardpoints, best outfitted with tactical lasers, two missile hardpoints (for harpoons!), and a pair of ballistic mediums, which make for good mauler slots, the hammerhead with its accelerated ammo feeder can just churn out devastating, ranged, and accurate armour piercing power. The sheer rapidity with which it can deal out this HE fire, coupled with those harpoons, makes it a devastating finishing vessel, or unshielded target hunter. Not to mention, it can pull up 360* full shields if necessary. The sunder is the same in that regard, but what really sets it apart is the high energy focus ability, and the trio of energy weapons, two medium, and a large. With an autopulse laser, and magazine extensions, plus a pair of antimatter blasters for close-in assault work, this thing can shred through shields, armour ... Well, pretty much whatever you want it to in record time, and with devastating effect. A couple of harpoons, and a similar trio of vulcan cannons can fend off pretty much any missile or fighter threat.

Then you have the falcon, and the eagle. For cruisers, these things are right monsters. You can tell right off the bat, that the falcon is designed around flanking enemy ships, and peppering it with accurate fire, at a bit of a range. The manoeuvring thrusters assist with this admirably, and the higher mobility and top speed seal the deal. A pair of medium ballistic hardpoints let it project heavy anti-shield fire with a pair of hypervelocity cannons, which, backed up by a pair of phase beams, make for a bristling anti-shield battery. A pair of PD lasers, and a pair of harpoon racks for those opportune moments round out the vessel somewhat, but still reinforce the fact that it's a flanking, anti-shield platform. The falcon, in light contrast, is much more brutish in appearance, and has a steeper weapons profile. This makes it much more effective at charging and laying down fire on vessels indiscriminately, allowing for the better use of a pair of heavy needlers, which will almost instantly cause cruisers to disable their shields, fearing hardflux overload. In turn, allowing the single mauler to get to work. This, backed up by a trio of graviton beams, allows it to outrange most hostile ships, and force them to lower their shields. This allows the pair of ion cannons to get some hits in, wreaking havoc, and letting the more assault-oriented destroyers get to work, and those harpoons get some nice scores on enemy hulls. A single LR PD laser facing fore erases the more threatening torpedoes without much effort, and two regular PD lasers to the rear keep the engines clear of missile threats. Two annihilator rocket pods let the vessel lay down a hair of HE fire along with the mauler's shots.

And hell, that's not even taking into account the Conquest (another beautiful, fast, and ruthless craft).

Personally, I want to see a core epoch medium carrier. Preferably cruiser sized. Two hangar bays. That'd likely be my outright favourite.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »

I also really like the midline ships, and for some reason I always try to have a Gemini in my fleet :P

Cheap carrier that also has a lot of cargo space. Can hold its own against missile and fighter spam down back. Has drones. Looks amazing. What's not to like?

Runners up: Sundar and Apogee (one look at this ship and I brought the game, well that and the descriptions on the features page :D When the campaign map was released I stayed up all night till I got an Apogee (no TriTachyon station back then I don't think...). I wish it had a flight deck though... I would give up one of the turret points for that.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]