Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Name of the Game  (Read 24264 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Name of the Game
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »

Apology accepted :) I get your point and I agree that open discussion is the central point of a forum, no sense in trying to suppress it. I feel the name change is a bit of special issue though, a situation introduced from the outside that is awkward for both the developers and the community.

As said, it is likely Alex does not have the liberty to disclose the exact reason behind this change.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

My brother has a real issue saying the letter "F" so he was over the moon.

Just sayin'

C-Station

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

I'm a little late to the party, but this new name does fit the lore really well. After all this is a sector that was cut off from the main civilization. So it is not the end of the world I guess.

I hope it is not a copyright issue because that would be really sad, but if it is to fit the theme of the game better so be it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

Well, after multiple systems gets introduced, "Starsector" will no long fit according to us. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »

Well, after multiple systems gets introduced, "Starsector" will no long fit according to us. ;D

The Sector will be the entire game world, including all star systems.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

As said, it is likely Alex does not have the liberty to disclose the exact reason behind this change.

Eh, I have a hard time buying that. Oh well.
I still think the name's not very good, though. Apart from the other things I mentioned, it doesn't really strike me as an appropriate designation for an area of space. It kinda sounds like it refers to a part of the surface of a star. Or maybe a person who sections stars.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

It's not a new term in scifi.

Startrek:
In stellar cartography a sector, also referred to as a star sector or space sector, is a large region of space. Sectors are composed of an area and volume encompassing several light years and typically contain several star systems. The system sectors and their numbering was used by United Earth, Vulcans and other spacefaring races at least by the 22nd century.

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »

Eh, I have a hard time buying that. Oh well.
I still think the name's not very good, though. Apart from the other things I mentioned, it doesn't really strike me as an appropriate designation for an area of space. It kinda sounds like it refers to a part of the surface of a star. Or maybe a person who sections stars.

Well then can you suggest a better "Star*****er" name? Because the way I see it this name is good enough and I myself have no better idea. I do like "Starfarer" better, for nostalgic reason, but Starsector is good enough. Seeing that there is a board game with extremely similar name out there... I suppose....

In the mean time, these weird "name suggestions" keep popping up in my head:

True Crime: Corvus o_O
Call of Lud: Modern Starfare -_-
Hegemony VS Tri-Tachyon DX Turbo ~_~

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »

The thing is, Goth, why ask people to stop asking and say it will have no effect when you go on to say that you're just working on that assumption?  Using the language of probablies and likelies while demanding that people stop asking because they're doing no good on account of forementioned probablies and likelies is beyond bizarre.

No one is saying anything beyond "I liked the old name more" and "I wonder why this happened so suddenly, I hope Alex can say why?
To which I would add--I hope Alex would say that he' s not able to disclose the story if that is the case.  While discussing reasoning is often against terms of an NDA, as is disclosing that an NDA is in place, I've never encountered one that stipulates that a developer may not say "I can't discuss that" without mentioning that the reason is one of the terms of a confidentiality agreement.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:31:20 PM by hairrorist »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »

Guys, let me put it this way - the specifics of the Business Reasons are not something I will discuss, and further, the name change is absolutely final.

My apologies if the above comes across as too curt.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

That's too bad, I'm really curious why the change was necessary.
Can you tell us why you can't tell us why you had to change it?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »

No one is saying anything beyond "I liked the old name more" and "I wonder why this happened so suddenly, I hope Alex can say why?

I was specifically reacting to the appeal of "not giving up [to protest the namechange]" earlier in the thread.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:40 AM »

Not at all too curt--I'm a firm believer that people appreciate finality regardless of whether they like the content of the answer.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »

Well then can you suggest a better "Star*****er" name?

I already explained in one of my earlier posts why I don't think a "Star-anything" name is a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:24:54 PM by Sordid »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »

Guys, let me put it this way - the specifics of the Business Reasons are not something I will discuss, and further, the name change is absolutely final.

My apologies if the above comes across as too curt.

Thank you; I at least, appreciate getting a "will not answer this" much more than arguably ambiguous silence.

And, as others have mentioned, I don't really care what the name is; if the game is good, you could call it "Battle of the Space-going Fruitcakes (BotSgF for short)" or whatever, and... well, ok, I'd still complain, but I still wouldn't consider it important - this is likely to be my last post on the topic.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6