Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Name of the Game  (Read 24265 times)

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: The Name of the Game
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »

But that can't happen if people are giving up, and just accepting the new name because we've been told there's no other choice.

Um, yeah, actually it can.

A) This is real life. No matter how bad you want things not to change, you can't always stop them.
B) A developer doesn't change the name of his game he has poured his soul in to on a whim, so there is almost certainly a good reason for the name change.
C) There are many people asking why, and Alex is clearly ignoring the question. Stop asking, you aren't going to get an answer.

I don't think you understand what I was saying. I was saying there is no chance the name could be changed again if people are giving up and just accepting the new name, which is obviously true... I'm not sure where I was unclear. Even the out of context quote doesn't make it sound like I was saying what you are suggesting I was. Also, I forgot I was in real life.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »

I don't think you understand what I was saying. I was saying there is no chance the name could be changed again if people are giving up and just accepting the new name, which is obviously true... I'm not sure where I was unclear.

Yes, true. If you say something has no chance of happening if we give up, you are however implying that there is a chance if we do not give up. This chance does not exist (BillyRueben listed some reasons), so "not giving up" would unfortunately result in nothing but prolonged commotion in the forum.

Its natural that you (and everyone who dislikes the new name) have to vent your frustration, but I'd say that has happened now. Going on about it can only lead to trouble, and as I see you that cannot be your intention :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

I hate the new name.  But that's totally beside the point... Alex can call the game whatever the hell he wants.  I'd still like the game if it was called "Go Eat a Bowl of Dicks Hairrorist."  Still a fun game that reminds me of Escape Velocity with way better mechanics.

But doesn't the abrupt change make you curious?  I'd love to hear the story.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »

Let the rampant speculation begin!  :P
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

The Illuminati did it.

DUN DUN DUUUUUN.
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 12:47:11 PM »

Well, clearly Alex decided he wanted to rewrite the game to include multiplayer, but he had repeatedly stated that Starfarer would never have multiplayer. Obviously, he couldn't go back on his word, so he changed the name instead. Now he's able to stick to his word and he's free to implement multiplayer into Starsector! Hooray!

Clever man, that Alex.

EDIT: (For future reference, my explanation for the name change is a joke. I didn't realize this disclaimer was necessary. Thought it was readily apparent.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:06:32 PM by naufrago »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »

Well. neither Starsector nor Starfarer would get multiplayer, because it just wouldn't work, I like Starsector the way it is now except the name which ain't really a big deal. but if he implements it anyway, I'm fine with that.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »

Well, clearly Alex decided he wanted to rewrite the game to include multiplayer, but he had repeatedly stated that Starfarer would never have multiplayer. Obviously, he couldn't go back on his word, so he changed the name instead. Now he's able to stick to his word and he's free to implement multiplayer into Starsector! Hooray!
LOL

Well played. That got a good laugh out of me. And as much as I may dislike the current name of the game, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it. On release, I will simply make myself a mod that changes every instance and graphic of Starsector to Starfarer. Perhaps Alex can't sell it as Starfarer for whatever reason, but there's no copyright law preventing me from changing the name on my personal copy. And even if the graphics change, I have the Starfarer font on my computer and have figured out how to remake the logo by hand!

And no matter what, I love this game as a game, not a name.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »

Well holy ****, Gothars became a moderator, as it was destined.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »

Already tons of it.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »

You are however implying that there is a chance if we do not give up. This chance does not exist.

With all due respect, you don't know that. The name was chosen by a person, people are known to be able to change their minds. You're just saying that to make people stop talking about it. If that's what you want, just say it plainly. Don't dress it up along the lines of "I'm trying to silence you for your own good, to save you the frustration of nothing coming out of this discussion". We're not idiots, please don't treat us as such.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:05:40 PM by Sordid »

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »

Well holy ****, Gothars became a moderator, as it was destined.
And so it began, with his new found power, he crush the repeated threads! 100 years of peace shall start!
Already tons of it.
I know right? Curiosity killed the cat but people seem to think the human lived.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

You are however implying that there is a chance if we do not give up. This chance does not exist.

With all due respect, you don't know that. The name was chosen by a person, people are known to be able to change their minds. You're just saying that to make people stop talking about it. If that's what you want, just say it plainly. Don't dress it up along the lines of "I'm trying to silence you for your own good, to save you the frustration of nothing coming out of this discussion". We're not idiots, please don't treat us as such.

Mh. If the good of the forum is just a dress up, what do you think my "real" motivation is for saying that? oO

That the name will never change is of course not cut in stone, but it is certain enough to call it final. Again, there are good reasons to believe so, many of which are listed in this thread. It's absolutely OK to talk about the name change, there's just no good in obsessing about it.

And even if it the possibility of change was realistic, already a lot of development time has been lost to changing everything to the current name. At least I personally would not want even more time spent on changing all banners, logos and mentions of the name again, time that could be used to improve the actual content of the game.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:34:18 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »

Already tons of it.
I know right? Curiosity killed the cat but people seem to think the human lived.

All on the Starfarer Skype Chat.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »

Mh. If the good of the forum is just a dress up, what do you think my "real" motivation is for saying that? oO

I don't think the good of the forum is the same thing as the good of the forum users. I've been around a lot of forums and quite a few mods seem to desperately want a really nice, tidy forum, to the point where they go around shutting down threads for no other reason that they's a lot of activity in them, usually accompanying their actions by some *** excuse along the lines of "there's no point in discussing this". Which kinda completely misses the point of a forum and also the fact that there's no point in discussing anything on the internet. I may have overreacted a bit in my previous post, and for that I apologize. I'd just hate to see such things happen here, and it looked a bit like that's where things might be going. Again, sorry. It's a matter of opinion, but personally I'd rather have a lively but messy forum than a tidy and boring one.

That the name will never change is of course not cut in stone, but it is certain enough to call it final. Again, there are good reasons to believe so, many of which are listed in this thread. It's absolutely OK to talk about the name change, there's just no good in obsessing about it.

And even if it the possibility of change was realistic, already a lot of development time has been lost to changing everything to the current name. At least I personally would not want even more time spent on changing all banners, logos and mentions of the name again, time that could be used to improve the actual content of the game.

Fair enough. Though I have to say I think hearing these reasons from Alex himself would help smooth over a lot of the ruffled feathers that this sudden change has caused. I also think that the name is such an important part of the game that it's worth the effort it would take to change it to something better. A lot of reasons for why that should be done are also listed in this thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6