Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: UI/text scaling and border-less windowed mode.  (Read 3277 times)

DukeVonBathrobe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
UI/text scaling and border-less windowed mode.
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »

Just wanted to suggest that you include these options at some point before release as they are low priority but nice for those who want them (myself included).

UI/text scaling for those of us using HDTVs instead of regular computer monitors.  Mine sits across the room and while it works great for gameplay, it makes reading my weapon and ship information a real strain on the eyes.  Would be nice if I could set custom font sizes or a scale %.

Also, as I like to alt-tab while playing games often, it is a convenience to run games in windowed(borderless) mode at maximum resolution.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: UI/text scaling and border-less windowed mode.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:08 AM »

Hmm... I'll see if I can find some time to check into borderless mode. As far as text scaling, that's actually pretty tricky - UI layouts would have to be adjusted, not just font sizes. But in general, the next version uses larger fonts for a lot of things - I'm finding they were unnecessarily small in a lot of places.

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »

Hmm... I'll see if I can find some time to check into borderless mode. As far as text scaling, that's actually pretty tricky - UI layouts would have to be adjusted, not just font sizes. But in general, the next version uses larger fonts for a lot of things - I'm finding they were unnecessarily small in a lot of places.
Can't you just make it so that it checks to see if the resolution is >= than a certain resolution then it will use a bigger font size? :P (It's probably a bit more complicated than that but just a thought :D)
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:06:48 PM »

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just played the game on a 4K monitor, and I have to say, without UI scaling, it's very unpleasant to try to read and see what's going on with my interface. Given the proliferation of higher resolution monitors, I think UI scaling is fast becoming a mandatory feature, as much of a pain as it would be to add in.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »

Unfortunately, it's not limited to UI scaling - a lot of stuff in the game won't work quite as it's supposed to at that high a resolution (there's a reason games get HD re-releases, etc etc - it's just not that simple). I'd recommend running the game in fullscreen mode at half your native monitor resolution; anything I might reasonably do would be functionally equivalent to that.

The thing you *can't* do now is run in borderless window mode (as opposed to fullscreen) at half the resolution, since it'll just result in a half-screen-sized window. That's unfortunate, and might be something I'll have to deal with eventually. Which is also painful, but less so than making a proper 4k version of the game, which involves things like higher-resolution assets for everything.

(Edit: you might be able to run in windowed/borderless at fullscreen in 4k by scaling your desktop to 200%, though of course doing that for a single game is not very practical.)

Ultimately, though, 4k is simply not supported, and is extremely unlikely to be. 4k *monitors* are supported (through aforementioned "run in fullscreen at half the resolution"), but running at an actual 4k resolution is not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:50:29 PM by Alex »

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:47:01 PM »

I was going to start a new topic but found this (hopefully I'm not doing too bad a thing necroing this thread, it seemed better in my head to build on from an older suggestion thread that was directly related, rather than start a brand new topic on the same thing).  

A vote here for a Borderless mode implementation, although this is because my biggest concern is running the game in a mode that respects my custom colour profile (which borderless generally does).

I currently run the game in windowed mode on my primary display since exclusive full screen resets my colour profile, and with my display setup how it is, this results in a lot of white-crush (think black-crush but with highlights instead of shadows).  If this would be too difficult to implement, an exclusive full-screen mode that honoured the custom colour profile I created would still be very much appreciated!

Ok..so unticking fullscreen and setting the resolution to maximum worked...nevermind, I'm rather silly it seems.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:52:40 PM by Baqar79 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:39:45 PM »

All good :)