Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thinking of creating my own game.  (Read 11602 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of creating my own game.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

Well, surely i will. And btw, minecraft, has 500+ player servers, hell, they have even up to 1000 player servers. And besidea, what is so bad about kikcstarter? I mean, I'm not going to try and raise millions upon millions of dollars, just enough to make the core game. Which is ship-to-ship combat. Ground combat would be added as an bonus, if that stretchgoal was to be reached. And why are you drawing refrences to PS2 only?  This isn't going to be an FPS. Sure, everything will be controlled in a FPS-y manner, and ground combat would br made in a FPS manner, but the core is ship to ship combat. That's like calling guns of icarus online to be an FPS.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »

Late to the Party but I think its very, very ambitious.

1. Skill - you will need good programmers, artists ect

2.Scale/scope- f me the maps will be huge, scale it back to reasonable levels and start small, patch it up like Minecraft and Firefall.

3. Money to get the people and assets you need money and shite tons, so KS will be slightly useful, maybe use money got from that to try and get investors.

4. Man power- you will need a lot more than 3-5 people, say 2-4 programmers, 3+++++ artists, servers people.

5. your making a MMO!!!- This is the hardest and most risk intensive type of game, so be realllllllly careful.

I hope this was constructive and helpful, most importantly run it like a business and still have fun and yyou should succeed (if the market wants it)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »

It's not really that much of an MMO, though. Singleplayer training and matches might be a future too, though. I'd imagine it to tilt towards the scale of a smaller MMO, but still retain that good feeling, not just feel like something big and corporate. I'd like it to feel like the MMO World of Tanks or Warplanes. That kind of feeling seems good for me. :)

But yeah, i guess you could see it as an Indie MMO. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:23:54 PM by Upgradecap »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

WoT and WoA are huggggggggge they have hundreds of servers, but a indie-MMO would be correct in definition.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »

Well, yeah. I wonder, servers can have 500 players on them, in a game like this?

Also, if we where to make it to the ground battles stretch goal, we might make the buildings raze-able. Since the ships are going to be modular, withe each component individually damaged, why not apply that to buildings aswell? :)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »

Well, the idea is good, i'd play a game like that. Damn, i played the heck out of Battlefront 2 exactly because i loved those big space fights with fighters and stuff blowing up and lazors everywhere!

But.

It's a big project. And by big, i mean enormous.
Even scaling it down a bit, it's still a too big jump from your previous experiences, you need to take it slowly, step by step.  :)

Some time ago I had an idea for a game, a "simple" RTS that would be used in my final exams in University. Since then I took a lot of steps back because i realized that i had neither the know-how (on this i'd like to say thanks to Alex, looking at how things like ships, skills and weapons are handled code-wise gave me a lot of food for thought lately  :) ) nor the time for such a task. So i took out 3d graphics, real time and a lot of other thingies. Now at least i have a chance at making something out of my ideas in the next 2 years. Maybe.
I know you're excited for your project and you want to make something that will be remembered forever, but for each step forward you have to take your time and think. Thinking is the most important thing to do when you're developing: you may be a code-bender for what i know, but if you don't start thinking a LOT before everything you do you won't go anywhere. And while this is less true for small projects (i don't have to think for ten hours before coding a simple calculator) it is the most important thing for something like this  :)

So, my simple advice is: take all the time you need. Learn, experiment, start from scratch for ten times, but whatever you do: never rush ahead of your possibilities.  ;)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »

I think i'm correct in saying that you aren't the first one to tell me that. And i have to say, yeah, you are correct. Never rush ahead and leave something bad or unfinished in your wake. So, i guess i have alot of time until then to gain experience. Hell, as of yet, i haven't even completed college. Haha, but i am nevertheless very ambitious about it, though.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »

I think i'm correct in saying that you aren't the first one to tell me that. And i have to say, yeah, you are correct. Never rush ahead and leave something bad or unfinished in your wake. So, i guess i have alot of time until then to gain experience. Hell, as of yet, i haven't even completed college. Haha, but i am nevertheless very ambitious about it, though.

I thought I said that!  ;D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »

No one said making a game would be easy. :) I might take a course in college about game design, it's interesting and might be a fun and fulfilling experience. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »

wow sounds great. too bad game design really isn't an industry at my place, else i would have studied that :\

Fleet construction in progress.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

Soldier, you might wanna see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmdGZk-fF98

not saying they're necessarily right, but it's probably worth considering
mmm.... tartiflette

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 05:40:03 AM »

That one was actually pretty good, gunnyfreak.  Never actually knew that colleges did that, though. Oh well.

wow sounds great. too bad game design really isn't an industry at my place, else i would have studied that :\

I think you'd be kinda better off with modeling and texturing for games, seeing as you are already really good at it. :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »

Thanks for that. :) I was thinking about taking a more classical degree, then moving on the games industry.  Not quiet ready to learn all the engines just yet, or even in three years. ;) I wonder what Alex or Ivalyo, David took.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:52:00 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 06:52:31 AM »

Thanks for that. :) I was thinking about taking a more classical degree, then moving on the games industry.  Not quiet ready to learn all the engines just yet, or even in three years. ;)

Well, i was thinking of going straight for games development. The pro with the college i am applying to here is not that you just get to learn how to use other engines, and different ones, but you also get to learn on how to create your own ones (to a certain degree - no AAA title engines here, though ;))

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »

If you actually start something like this, please let me do some art ;D. I love doing art of mechanized things, but I'm not so good at spaceships. I might be kinda rusty though, but I just love drawing mechanical things, and detailing every wire and servo :D.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.
Pages: 1 2 [3]