Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Omnifactory v1.11c (released 2017-03-16)  (Read 152688 times)

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Omnifactory v1.11c (released 2017-03-16)
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »

What Isaac did seems like a good way to make using the Omnifactory somewhat more prohibitive, having to spend AI cores alongside giving up a ship.

Elijah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »

Yeah, I agree. I think with the right mix of resources expenditure and core costs, the mod can still work without feeling cheaty. This mod could be a nice bridge to the outposts!

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

Still unsure on the new Omnifactory.
Unless other modders refrain to exclude their ships/weapons from the "list of stuff the Omnifactory can make" (Templars, IBB, etc) then it's made mostly obsolete by the scavenging mechanics alone.
When you can afford to go to the Omnifactory to build yourself a Paragon, you can afford much earlier to *** off TriTachion, punch one of their fleet in the nose, acquire a Paragon and restore it at the nearest dock.
On the left half of the Bell curve

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 03, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

You aren't guaranteed to find a Paragon or to get it as salvage when you do. The new Omnifactory is intended to provide a more expensive, but more reliable, source of ships/weapons.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2017, 06:28:38 PM »

I'm currently updating at http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12544.0. It's 99% functional, but I still can't figure out how to get the exact resource costs to display.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2017, 05:43:12 AM »

The new mechanics in 0.8 make both acquiring new ships and not losing existing ones far more tenable and does so in balanced manners.
i actually used Omnifactory almost exclusively for weapons, not ships. acquiring new ships and replacing lost ones is much easier now thanks to the new salvage mechanics and industry skills, but weapon availability is still just as much of an issue as it was before 0.8 (except for one skill perk that increases drop chance by a bit), unless i missed something.

so i'll be sad to see Omnifactory go. of course being able to reproduce weapons in unlimited numbers is a cheat in some way, but even finding just a single one can be quite difficult for the really rare ones, and putting them in the Omnifactory also comes at increased credit cost (2-3 times the normal cost for the initial one), which can be significant with the more expensive/rare weapons.

and i just simply don't like Starsector's approach of making rarity a huge part of weapon balancing. if can't get TT to sell me a couple Tachyon Lances or Plasma Cannons despite having maxed reputation (which supposedly means i know some of their leaders personally) and despite being willing to pay 100+k credits for a single one, just because i happened to get unlucky with RNG, that's both frustrating from a gameplay view and at least as immersion breaking as being able to manufacture my own, to me. :/

i enjoyed having a place where i can customize my ships' loadouts without constantly checking whether i have enough of the weapons available to use said loadouts. without Omnifactory, i tend to spend most of my credits in early- to mid-game on weapons i find in a market somewhere, just in case i'll not be able to find them again when i need them, usually to the point where i barely have any credits left for new ships.. obviously that is my own fault, but i just hate the feeling of getting a shiny new ship later on and then realizing that i can't use any of the loadouts i wanted on it because i can't find the weapons, with no reliable way of doing anything about that.

and it doesn't help that this same issue now also applies to most hullmods. "want an ITU, got 300k credits to burn? tough luck, no ITU available. should've gotten the one you saw 20h ago, even if you couldn't really afford it then. come back in another 5h, maybe you'll get one then. maybe." <_<

sorry about the rant. i know this isn't the ideal place to complain about vanilla mechanics/balancing, and i understand the reasoning for discontinuing this mod. but it's still frustrating to me.

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:12 AM »

I'm going to really miss this mod.

The Omnifactory was home.
It was where I stored extra supplies & equipment, ships, meaningful tidbits or baubles.
I used to bring home stacks of goods to 'store' with the crew members & other personnel that lived there. Small arms for the marines, luxury goods & lobsters for the vets, organs for the medbay and maybe even a few illicit drugs.
Everything a station needed.
The facilities let me test & equip new ships I captured & brought back conveniently, simply, but at a premium cost. Well-worth it.
And the straight-forward collection mechanic was a robust gameplay-driving engine with its obvious goal and tangible rewards.
It was absolutely integral to how I played the game.

Did it make the base game easier? Sure. Quicker at the very least.
Was it a 'cheat'? One could certainly see it that way if one so desired.
But not everyone is out for the punishment side of challenge. Not everyone plays on ironman.
And the users were the ones that installed it & played with it. And we had fun with it.

Lazywizard, I'm sad to see it lose your favor, but I think I understand: no one would want to keep working on something they don't personally use anymore/feel inspired by.
So, thank you for creating it in the first place, & thank you for keeping it updated for so long.  :) :(

shoooooooooot

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2017, 03:01:37 AM »

I'm going to really miss this mod.
See:
I'm currently updating at http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12544.0. It's 99% functional, but I still can't figure out how to get the exact resource costs to display.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]