Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Omnifactory v1.11c (released 2017-03-16)  (Read 153110 times)

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Omnifactory v1.11c (released 2017-03-16)
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Hi Wizard,

Do you think it's possible for the next version to get the option to use metals and transplutonics as consumables and AI cores as crew-like requirements ?

Thanks a lot.
Omnifac already has optional fuel/supply consumption. Making it use other commodities would probably be simple, but given that fuel/supply consumption is already disabled by default I wouldn't count on it being part of the official release.

Paul_Kauphart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »

I know that, I want the option file to include those commodities as well, even if off by default.

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »

May I ask if it is planned for this mod to be updated with 0.8a and later possibly to 0.8.1? Is the mod dead or just no time to update it? I would love to try it out in 0.8a!

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2017, 03:22:33 AM »

Question, would it be possible to have the Omnifactory spawn a self replicating fleet of sort that will then attacks yhe sector once it has been used enough times?

The idea is as follows:
Omnifactory is in a random outer system
Once the player finds it and returns to the populated sectors, there is a small chance each in game day for a "news leak" about the location.
[OPTIONAL] Once that happens some fleets may rarely go there and buy ships to bolster their forces with various stuff (up to and including IBB hulls)
Once the Omnifactory has been used enough times it will spawn a "seed" capital ship that will go around and obtain resources (whether by stationing around planets or asteroid or by attacking non Remnant fleets)
During this time it will build more and more ships (even IBB ships and other faction stuff) to culminate with the creation of another seed ship.
Informations about their last position can be gathered by some galactic updates but they might be just too late to be accurate anymore
If all the seeds are killed then nothing bad happens
If enough seed-made fleets are completed they will attack the sector, causing lots of problems for everyone

This would add some layer of risk/reward, use the omnifactory and risk a later attack or abstain and stay safe?
Also something to do for those who have exhausted all the other sources of challenge

On the left half of the Bell curve

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

If the mod is dead I would be happy to continue it (I've already updated it for my own use anyway) but I think the update is probably just on hold until 0.8.1a as with many other mods.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »

Unpopular opinion incoming...

From my own angle, and the way I see things now. The OmniFactory should be left to slumber, for it is no longer needed. The new mechanics in 0.8 make both acquiring new ships and not losing existing ones far more tenable and does so in balanced manners. While the OmniFactory is just a big giant cheat, that breaks the game mechanically and lore wise, removing all scarcity.

I understand why folks like it, but it broke the game even in old versions, and it really would now! Think about it objectively, truly isn't it an obsolete thing these days? You can make bolder decisions now, without worrying as much about losing your stuff. Adding the OmniFactory back to modern versions of the game is hilariously unwise. Perhaps let it sleep, and wait for vanilla manufacturing to be added. In the mean time, salvaging and new D ship mechanics has your back covered.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »

I think there's something to be said for a fresh release with updated mechanics rather than a shambling half-life of partial restorations, but otherwise, yeah; the Omnifactory is a neat idea, but it's become less and less vital as the base game has matured.

(I wouldn't mind a procgen Omnifactory slumbering somewhere outside the core, though, guarded by nameless automated horrors...)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:10:10 AM by Soren »

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »

There is another idea of a mod, where the omnifactory could be reborn in a new way....just as a normal shipyard for the player:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12514.msg212819#msg212819

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2017, 07:11:07 PM »

What if production used metal and other commodities based on the ship? Instead of producing everything, only produce the items the player 'buys' in the market, which would then be placed into storage only when completed. AI cores would be required to store blueprints. Alpha for capital ships, beta for large weapons/cruisers, gamma for medium weapons/destroyers, and nothing for small weapons/frigates. Templar ships could require flux cores.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2017, 04:13:11 AM »

At the moment, I have no plans to continue the Omnifactory. So far I've only discussed this with Histidine and Meso, but I'll go ahead and make my thoughts public.

This mod was written for a very different game than Starsector is today (those who played the early campaign implementations will remember how hard finding certain ships and weapons could be), and has been kept updated despite ever lessening relevancy due to its popularity. I'll be frank: the Omnifactory absolutely destroys the campaign's difficulty curve by giving you a nigh-unbreakable safety net. With this mod, it doesn't matter if you anger every other faction or die a thousand times. As long as you've got the cash you can instantly rebuild your fleet by making a single run to the Omnifactory. While that's perfectly fine in an optional mod for a single-player game, I've never been happy about how the factory affects gameplay. There've been three attempts at a more balanced rewrite so far, but none even made it anywhere near completion before I lost enthusiasm for the project.

With the new Industry skills I feel that Starsector now natively supports the "collect-em-all" gameplay style in a far more balanced manner than the Omnifactory ever did. Therefore I think that now is as good a time as any to drop this mod. That said, anyone who wants to take it up and continue has my permission.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:20:58 AM by LazyWizard »

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2017, 04:43:05 AM »

I'm in the final stages of testing a completely revamped Omnifactory for .8a. Primary features are AI Core usage for analysis, commodity usage for construction, on-demand rather than passive building, and increased build time based on weapon/wing rarity. Increased build time based on ship rarity is also planned.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »

I'm in the final stages of testing a completely revamped Omnifactory for .8a. Primary features are AI Core usage for analysis, commodity usage for construction, on-demand rather than passive building, and increased build time based on weapon/wing rarity. Increased build time based on ship rarity is also planned.
Any plans to implement the "deal-with-the-devil" part i sketched on my previous post?
On the left half of the Bell curve

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2017, 05:47:27 AM »

Any plans to implement the "deal-with-the-devil" part i sketched on my previous post?
No, the intention is for the factory to be balanced as a standalone, although I may switch randomization on by default. I may implement faction shipyards as additional markets on large industrial worlds, but that would be a long term goal.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »

I've finished the first revamped version. Pretty much everything works, but the exact resource requirements don't display properly. To give the Omnifactory access to resources just put them in its storage.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »

I don't see why having the factory as an option should be unacceptable. Its presence is entirely voluntary, and unless the argument is that players should not be allowed to tune their experience to their liking, how it effects a run's difficulty is rather irrelevant. I really enjoyed filling out my collection of blueprints, as well as being able to use a fleet I actually wanted to in the campaign. From the hours I've put into .8 so far I can tell you zipping between market hubs for ingame months is a miserable, tedious (but not difficult) experience that I would really like to not have to put up with. I hope that the mod can live on under new authors if the current one(s) no longer want to maintain it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:39:59 PM by Dal »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18