Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Successful retreat with unfieldable ships results in egregious crew losses  (Read 1851 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

So, I have two ships in my fleet; the first has a skeleton crew requirement of 45, the other 20.  I have 60 crew total, and manage to bump into a fleet that's way too large to fight.  So I select retreat - I know I'm going to lose that uncrewed second ship, but I don't mind; it's a cheap frigate, and I'd already stripped all its guns.  I field my one ship, sneak around the edges of the map, and manage a clean getaway...

Only to find that not only did I lose the second ship, I also lost 30 crew, and can no longer field even the one ship that got out!

It may or may not matter, but I hadn't yet officially switched my flagship to the new ship - so I had to field the ship I was flying and then transfer command to it.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Kiryuu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Successful retreat with unfieldable ships results in egregious crew losses
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 08:33:44 AM »

I dont think this is a bug. From my personal experience, the game fills the ships in the order they appear in the fleet screen. And it always fills them up before switching to another ship. Maybe it was because that frigate was the first ship you had in your fleet screen, and the other (new flagship) as the second one, the game registered both as flyable, but the extra crew goes into the first ship on the fleet screen, not the second one.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »

Nope - the new ship was first.  You can tell, because it was crewed; if the other ship had been first, it would've been crewed instead.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Kiryuu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »

another explanation would be the damage mid escape that the ships receive, i have escaped battles where either side never fired a single gun and i retreated to find my fleet had been crippled while retreating (most ships with less than 30% hull). This could have led to the death of a few crew members.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »

Sounds like a bug. Will take a look at some point down the line when revamping campaign stuff - I'd like to reorganize some of the related code and hopefully make a bunch of bugs (including some undiscovered once) go away at once.