Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Counter to Doom-class 1-shot cruiser?  (Read 5121 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Counter to Doom-class 1-shot cruiser?
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »

This thing can 1-shot every stock ship.

- Fly towards enemy
- Phase out
- When you're on top of enemy, Phase in, fire everything, Phase out (so the explosions don't damage/kill you).

A custom Onslaught with Re-enforced bulkheads, Blast Doors, Heavy Armour & Armoured weapon mounts can just about survive the first salvo, but dies to the 2nd pair of reapers.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Counter to Doom-class 1-shot cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »

Hmm. You mean unphase literally on top of the enemy, right - not just close?

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »

How about a Fortress Shielded Paragon? If the alpha strike from that Doom does ~30k damage (six Reapers x 4k damage plus four AM blasters at some amount of damage I can't remember), the Paragon's fortress shield would eat that pretty much without issue, then you can simply drop the fortress shield.

Also, there's a pretty good counter to that mess: strike craft. I don't think it'd do well against its FP in fighters, frigates, or destroyers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:08:57 AM by Temjin »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »

Hmm. You mean unphase literally on top of the enemy, right - not just close?

Yep, so long as a portion of the ship (~50%?) isn't on top of the ship the game let's you unphase/fire/rephase

It works so well with the Doom because all the weapons are right up front, so are well inside the hull of even the largest ships when you unphase.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:12:02 AM by TJJ »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »

How about a Fortress Shielded Paragon? If the alpha strike from that Doom does ~30k damage (six Reapers x 4k damage plus four AM blasters at some amount of damage I can't remember), the Paragon's fortress shield would eat that pretty much without issue, then you can simply drop the fortress shield.

Also, there's a pretty good counter to that mess: strike craft. I don't think it'd do well against its FP in fighters, frigates, or destroyers.

The weapons are deployed inside the shield, in the same way bombers can bypass your shield if they're right on top of you when they fire.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »

That doesn't work anymore with 360 shields. At least, it's not supposed to.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »

Yep, so long as a portion of the ship (~50%?) isn't on top of the ship the game let's you unphase/fire/rephase

It works so well with the Doom because all the weapons are right up front, so are well inside the hull of even the largest ships when you unphase.

Thanks for clarifying, I'll add it to my list of things to look at. (Point-blank Reaper fire is already on it, but this is quite a twist on that.)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »

I kinda like the cleverness.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »

Youd have to unphase on an unshielded side, or more than halfway through, but sure!

Any small craft/destroyers would completely murder it, so I'm glad its super effective against the big stuff.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

Youd have to unphase on an unshielded side, or more than halfway through, but sure!

Any small craft/destroyers would completely murder it, so I'm glad its super effective against the big stuff.

Umm... four antimatters? Those can obliterate frigates as well as destroyers.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »

Well... maybe if the AI is caught in a weird situation, but all those ships should be able to outrange antimatter blasters. Enforcers and Sunders would be slower than that design, but they might be able to take 4 AM's and will def outrange it. Any time the doom spends phased before firing is wasted flux, and venting would be painful.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »

Well... maybe if the AI is caught in a weird situation, but all those ships should be able to outrange antimatter blasters. Enforcers and Sunders would be slower than that design, but they might be able to take 4 AM's and will def outrange it. Any time the doom spends phased before firing is wasted flux, and venting would be painful.

try, so it would be weaker vs frigates defiantly, but it could kill most destroyers

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:58 AM »

I'd be curious to see how it handles pilums

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »

I think it's fine. A few wasp wings could probably kill it. It's extremely specialized and that possibility is what i like about this game. Also please don't "fix" point blank reapers. They are quite the high risk high reward thing.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »

Err, but its actually broken.  You shouldn't be able to phase into a 360 shield.  It's...a 360 degree energy barrier.