Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: AI slips/player tricks report thread  (Read 44666 times)

PotatoesOfDoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: AI slips/player tricks report thread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »

Not sure if this counts but an afflictor can kill an astral...
Load it with 4 reapers (linked) and max capacitors. Phase until inside the astral, then uncloak and fire torpedoes. Most of the time, the astral will die. This also works on atlas freighters, but not on onslaughts and the like.
"Nuclear Launch Detected."

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »

Good old circlestrafing works against the vast majority of opponents in Starsector if your ship is small and fast enough.  The AI does not think to aim ahead of your path once in a while after about of minute of continuous circlestrafing.  If your ship cannot kite because it is stuck with short-ranged antimatter/mining/heavy blasters, NO PROBLEM!  Just strafe and win!  Just like the good old Doomguy vs. Cyberdemon matchup.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »

It's possible to exploit that shields deactivate when ships engage burn drive. I was able to kill fleeing Tarsus freighters despite being unable to penetrate their shields by just holding my (HE) fire until they engage their burn drive.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:23 AM »

this is also how you kill enforcers with a hound, you back up and wait for them to burn at you and pound them with your mauler.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »

That's what the burn drive is supposed to, taking risk and boosting your speed... Though I think it makes too much risk compared to its merit.

-

About the dancing hound thing on the previous page, seems that the hounds were given order to 'harass' your ship... Not so sure though.

==========

Well, I guess it's time AI learned deflection shooting and less-predictable battle maneuver. You know, they don't seem to predict my location in next second(and thus wasting several hypervelociy driver ammos), while they themselves move in quite predictable way. On the other hand, missiles seems to consider my speed and direction.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:39:55 AM by Aron0621 »

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned or not (And taking into consideration that phase ships are going to be hard to sort out anyway) I thought I'd mention that with ships that have areas of shield that don't cover hull, especially on the flanks, and are fast enough to keep up, can simply hover over a phase cloaked ship with their shields up, preventing them from uncloaking safely because of collisions that the ai avoids, rapidly making them overheat, then kill themselves because they end up stuck inside the shield.

For instance a conquest class can comfortably keep up with phase frigates when it's been upgraded a touch and can simply hover over them while shooting at other targets, effectively nullifying the phase frigate even being there.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

Want to kill an inferior enemy combat fleet without pursuit and sending relations to Vengeful?  Harry them until they decide to fight, then engage (but do not pursue survivors).

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2014, 02:07:18 PM »

Ships with phase skimmers have a weird AI when it comes to fighting against other phase skimmer vessels. Quite often if I'm winning they'll hop away rapidly three times, obv hoping to put distance between us, but then I can just hop three times to them too and wipe them out. I don't know if it's so much an exploit or bug, but maybe there's something else that can be done. Like trying to put another ship between us if possible.

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

@lucian
I've noticed this one too, and in say, a wolf on wolf engagement, it makes very little sense.  But watch them do it when there are a couple of other ships nearby.  If you follow them, you tend to get flanked by hounds and the like.  The single nastiest fight I've had in 0.65 was my one wolf again 5 pirate wolf(d)'s, all attacking then falling back to vent. 

That being said, does each ship's AI tactics change depending on backup and other considerations?

neptix

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:57 AM »

Auto fire begins before turrets acquire their target.

This is most evident when you're closing in rapidly on an aurora's front; the 2x heavy blaster mounts will fire well before they're pointing at you, wasting a huge chunk of its flux.

I believe this is a symptom of the aiming working off the enemy shield radius, rather than its projected bounds.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:11:44 AM by TJJ »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »

Having played around with a heavy blaster equipped wolf, there's an odd shielding behavior I've been seeing: An enemy ship that I'm holding just in range of will keep their shields up... until I fire, at which point they decide "oops, that's too much firepower, I don't want to overload", drop shields, take the hit on armor... and then put their shields back up again, preventing them from dissipating hard flux, and perpetuating the situation.

This is something of a corner case, really... the behavior is only "wrong" when my only weapon is that one heavy blaster (and a few missiles, but it could get shields up in time if I actually fired those).  But, given the wolf + heavy blaster starting option, it's a corner case that's likely to come up.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Polnadian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »

When retreating, I've noticed that even small, maneuverable frigates fail to dodge torpedoes (at least Hammer-class ones). I've even hit retreating Wolf frigates with this, because they don't even bother using their Phase Skimmer to avoid the torpedo.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2016, 12:16:43 AM »

Ships retreating will always face towards the map edge, allowing very easy shot on their rear, especially for ships with frontal shields.

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2021, 01:15:30 AM »

During my playtests i notice what AI seems like always try to face his shields and weapons on you. Not a big deal when you control some big and slow ship, but if you try some sneaky agility-based builds this become pretty annoying. It actually ruins atmosphere because they treat you as main hero of this fairytale for no reason. As i find out - YOU are the highest priority for AI. You may even maxout capacitors on some weaponless phase frigate and dive in to lines of enemies and they ALL turn towards you. They don't care about their rears being melted by rest of your fleet, this is ridiculous. Turns out what AI treat your ship more dangerous than a swarm of high explosive projectiles. Every time you trying backstab a ship what already in fight, he just turn around and face you or at least would attempt to catch all projectiles what came from your ship with omnishield if it's installed. Why it bother me so much is the fact what i can, for example, just time my shots with Astral's bombing runs and all that annihilator pods from knopesh bombers will hit enemy hull, because he gonna turn his shilds to block my shots, doesn't matter how insignificant they are comparing to simultaneous strike of 12 bombers. I don't like so much attention to my persona. On a side note... is it intentional what mines from Doom also have highest priority? Because it seems like they been made to remotely disable shields of enemy ships while they just about to be being hit by some massive torpedo attack...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2021, 09:25:43 AM »

(First off, necroing is against the forum rules :))

Second, and perhaps more importantly - this is completely incorrect! The AI doesn't know or care what ship the player is in. I know this comes up a bit - I've seen other players mention similar impressions - but it's just a heck of a case of confirmation bias.

I think part of it is that the AI is often a bit passive/playing it relatively safe, and the player - due to their behavior - tends to be more dangerous/a better target. But it's purely based on what the ship is doing/where it is/etc, not who's in control.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7