Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Skirmish Mode  (Read 1884 times)

Remnants_Of_Beauty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Custom Skirmish Mode
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:06:33 AM »

I'd like there to be a fully customizable skirmish mode where we could set up any type of battle we could dream of. whether it be 1 on 1, a three way, 4 way. Number of ships, types of ships, types of weapons allowed and not allowed, number of command points (add unlimited as an option... some people like to be in the war room)

Haven't looked around the forum but i'm assuming multiplayer or co-op is not going to happen, which is a shame because it would make for some great gameplay. co-ordinating a flanking attack with an ally on a big heavily armoured enemry and both taking him down. Would be great but im guessing multiplayer is something for Starfarer 2 possibly? But the skirmish mode shouldn't be too hard to add as a game feature.

Any thoughts?
My time has come, yet again - To be the soul survivor
What a lonely existence - In this cosmos of mine

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Skirmish Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:29:49 AM »

I have been trying to find the quote from the metaphorical horse's mouth, but haven't been able to put my finger on it.

I believe this functionality is already in the new update, at least in some format similar to the one you describe. If you want to play about with stuff like this now, you could try editing the mission definitions and ship variants within the existing mission structure to give you exactly what you want.

It's easy to edit existing mission definitions, a bit more difficult to edit ship variants, and a little bit more complicated to create new missions / ships. It's a bit of a faff around, but not too difficult, and once you have got the hang of it it comes very easily.

If this does interest you for now, check out the modding sub-forum, there should be plenty to go at within there, and ask around if there are any specific problems you come across.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Remnants_Of_Beauty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:40:28 AM »

Glad to hear something like this is going to be in the next update (anyone know roughly when that is?)
would be interesting if there is an option to let 2 AI opponents go against each other and just let the player watch.
My time has come, yet again - To be the soul survivor
What a lonely existence - In this cosmos of mine

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:06:08 AM »

would be interesting if there is an option to let 2 AI opponents go against each other and just let the player watch.

This has come up before ...

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=440.0

:)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"