Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 181885 times)

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

One that note, could we have the option for a few more weapon groups? There seems to be plenty of room on the refit UI for them, and there are several cruisers and capitals that would really benefit from a couple extra groups.
This, so much.

I don't know where we'd stop, but 5 just isn't enough for some capitals.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »

Out of curiosity—what are some example loadouts of (vanilla) ships that you guys would want 6+ weapon groups for?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »

One that note, could we have the option for a few more weapon groups? There seems to be plenty of room on the refit UI for them, and there are several cruisers and capitals that would really benefit from a couple extra groups.
+1
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

Are you guys talking about modded capital ships? Like the stupidly overpowered ones with 10+ large weapon mounts?

I can't imagine you needing more than 5 for vanilla ships - I always control missiles and/or super high flux weapons like Plasma Cannons but everything else is on auto-fire. With +50% OP via Tech tree you can max out vents and capacitors no problem and thus make flux management a near nonissue so why would you possibly need to have more than 5 or so weapon groups? I don't think its humanly possibly to swap around 6+ weapon groups and still maintain optimal weapons fire uptime...

I play Ironman + full weapon damage suffered and I'm popping Pirate Armadas and Tri-Tachyon Security fleets no problem with just 5 weapon groups. Hell, I could probably solo every single fleet other than Hegemony Defense Fleets with my Onslaught and the only thing I control on that beast is the 4 Annihilator Rocket Pods. :o

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »

Honestly, I would like overlapping weapon groups a la the MechWarrior or X-series games. Been hoping for that for a while now. I don't see why a weapon needs to be in one and only one group.

Other ideas that popped into my head:

• Crew-Ship Breakdown Hover-List - Any chance that after a certain point, the list starts classifying the crew count by ship class instead of by individual ships? I realized the list isn't big enough when I'm sporting just over 100FP in Wolves and Omens (plus my Hyperion flagship). The last line just clumps all the ships together and is useless/unreadable.
  • Refit Screen (and any other screen that requires scrolling) - Please add scroll bars we can drag. Scrolling down via wheelmouse on a list that displays only 4 items at a time with a 15-item count gets tiresome. This was brought to bare with my Hyperion/Wolf/Omen fleet. Skimming my late game inventory at the station is like that as well.
  • Actually, at some point, I would REALLY like a text-based inventory/selection UI as an option for better parsing. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but coming from RPGs, I'm very used to staring at just text and numbers to manage my inventory/"party" (i.e. fleet in this case)/shopping. How information is presented in SS isn't very convenient at times. I'm starting to think the use of hover tooltips for almost everything is a bit much. I would like some data to be readily upfront and the UI a little more data-dense in the menus. (The UI on the sector map is perfectly fine with it minimalism.)
  • I think the AI is having some issues with high speeds and shield usage. I pack my Wolves with both AugEng and the other SPD booster hullmod. They each have a SPD rating of about 267 or so (I believe base SPD is 170. +10% from Elite crew and +40 x2 from the hull mods... Uh, maybe another +10% from skills? So maybe 284?) In any case, this is a VERY dangerous speed for them and I notice they tend to keep their shields down for as long as possible, even in active combat conditions. This is despite having Hardened Shields and a decent Flux Cap to soak dmg. They take more dmg from smacking into me or each other than from fire it seems. Any chance the high-tech ships (especially the agile and fragile frigates) can be made to be a bit more aggressive with shield usage? (The Omens do the same thing and I have them set up to have full 360-shields. They still smack into stuff and take more damage from that.) I just want them to keep their shields up more often in congested and/or hectic conditions to prevent friendly collision dmg.
  • Teleporter AI use - I have a Hyperion commanded to capture a point. It runs into a hostile and takes evasion... By teleporting right back in the direction it came from and away from the point I want it to capture. It's outside of the "danger" radius and starts it approach to the point I ordered it to once again. The hostile is has targetted it and closed the distance a bit. The Hyperion does the same thing once again. Repeat until the hostiles in the area are dead, I get luck and it finally teleports TOWARD the point during evasion, I cancel the order, or the battle ends :-\. The AI does seems to be much better at using the Phase Skimmer though. I understand ANY ship with the phase teleporter is a bit OP (I assume that is part of the reason why the Hyperion is 15FP, along with its general stats), but how the Teleporter is used under AI control can be VERY infuriating for the FP cost. The AI uses the Teleporter in the oddest ways when under duress... Oddly enough, it works fine in the first phase of a battle (flitting out there to quickly capture a point.) It's when it encounters hostiles that the Teleporter usage seems to goes haywire. Better Teleporter use would be appreciated (i.e. not as blatantly infuriating as it has been for me lately), even if you have to jack up the Hyperion's FP cost. (Done right, a Hype is worth perhaps a bit more than the current 15FP.) Though I do understand that the AI shouldn't be good enough to match the player (or else there wouldn't be a reason to play yourself.)

I also still have issues with ships veering off on a tangent to engage hostiles while under orders to do something else. In particular is capturing/defending points. I just wish they don't stray so far from the points as they currently do. (I've acually had a Hype in the middle of capturing a point wind up on the other side of the map because it wanted to intercept a fighter group coming toward point: it teleported to engage, ran into a destroyer, teleported to evade, foundd another fighter wing, etc... Suffice to say I didn't capture the point like I wanted :'()

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »

@ zakastra and StahnAileron

This is not the suggestion forum and you are both here long enough to know. If you have a suggestion that is worth being read it will also be worth opening a thead in the right sub-forum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »

@ zakastra and StahnAileron

This is not the suggestion forum and you are both here long enough to know. If you have a suggestion that is worth being read it will also be worth opening a thead in the right sub-forum.

I was actaully debating between here and the suggestion forum. Some of this was only made apparent to me after the new build came out and I actually had time to try stuff out, so I posted here. I don't think I would've noticed the speed/shield "issue" I seem to have it it weren't for the new hullmod and the skill system being implemented. (Wolves wouldn't have the OP to mount the loadout I gave them to be the way I have them now in .54a vs .53a.) I kinda consider this feedback with my current experience in the game... Still, I'll try to be more mindful in the future. I actually don't come here very often...

Vordhosbn88

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

A whole week since the last post? What's going on?

Not had time to play Starsector for a while, recently updated and I am loving it. Any word on when we're getting a larger more diverse map to roam in though?
Breaker breaker - come in earth, this is rocket ship 27... Aliens *** over the carbonator on engine number 4, i'm gonna try to re-fuckulate it and land us on Juniper, uh.. hopefully they got some space weed... over.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »

Mostly about mods and finishing them up. :) Oh, and the devs are probably hard at work on the next patch(notes).
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »

Alex have you decided what to do about the sensor dish on Onslaught? i kinda like it there  8) if you dont plan to keep it there it might be interesting to have a special "command" version of onslaught that would have some kind of advantage(slightly better radar and weapon range or more CP) but would be much more expensive?

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »

Hullmods that enable an animated item\decal on a ship to show an actual improvement. Now that's INTERESTING.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »

Hullmods that enable an animated item\decal on a ship to show an actual improvement. Now that's INTERESTING.
Or conversely, items that take up weapon slots and have code attached to them.

So instead of putting something in a Universal slot, you could put a Sensor Dish in there which gives you +25% sight range or something. And you get a little spinning dish on that spot. :D

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »

Or conversely, items that take up weapon slots and have code attached to them.

So instead of putting something in a Universal slot, you could put a Sensor Dish in there which gives you +25% sight range or something. And you get a little spinning dish on that spot. :D

That`s exactly what i was thinking to start working on. I just hope that decorative weapons can have some influence on the ship`s stats (like weapon range, reload times, sensor radius etc).

In particular i was thinking of a special target designators that take up medium slot (ballistic for example) and give a range bonus only to a group its assigned to.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:06:59 PM by Okim »

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »

or just give some ships slots for this kind of special equipment that would boost their own or the FLEETS stats.....that could be nice thing for carriers because their combat value isnt all that great i mean sure they refit bombers and fighters but thats mostly it......but carriers are usually command ships as well so you could tailor your flagship to suit your ship best....
sensor dish to have bigger weapons range or and maybe more CP, CIC to give your ships some bonus to dmg or more FP to throw into a battle, Fighter command center to give your fighters and bombers some advantages.....
only some ships would have that kind of slot mostly support ships or some ships intended to be flagships....it would give some kind of combat utility to ships that arent usually taken into combat like the carriers and maybe the Buffalo II....
that said these modules should cost some OP and be quite expensive

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »

or just give some ships slots for this kind of special equipment that would boost their own or the FLEETS stats.....that could be nice thing for carriers because their combat value isnt all that great i mean sure they refit bombers and fighters but thats mostly it......but carriers are usually command ships as well so you could tailor your flagship to suit your ship best....
sensor dish to have bigger weapons range or and maybe more CP, CIC to give your ships some bonus to dmg or more FP to throw into a battle, Fighter command center to give your fighters and bombers some advantages.....
only some ships would have that kind of slot mostly support ships or some ships intended to be flagships....it would give some kind of combat utility to ships that arent usually taken into combat like the carriers and maybe the Buffalo II....
that said these modules should cost some OP and be quite expensive
You can already do this with ship systems (fleet-wide bonuses), actually. But yeah, you can't make them swappable or cost OP.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20