Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 181184 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »

Man, I finally get internet (and a computer) here at MOS school and what do I see but a new Starf..... things really have moved along haven't they?

Anyway, I don't really know what to comment on regarding this specific release since it's been a while since I've laid hands on this game, and a lot of stuff's gotten added, so I'll just throw some stuff out there. Frigates seem a lot better now that I can buff their OP. I tried running a no-fighter top tier fleet using only Hyperions and it worked swimmingly. Really, a lot of different builds seem more viable than the fighter domination that seemed to reign since I last played this game aggressively, and that's a good thing. Not going to lie, being able to pimp out my Conquest and have it spin like a destroyer is silly fun.

The game is also less punishingly difficult, which I'm not sure how I feel about, but hey, I'm still having fun, so whatever.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Ishikawa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »

Well the new version is pretty awesome, really like the new skill ui.

I don't really care about the name change, starsector is fine though, it's the game not the name that counts anyway.

Currently on my way to max my newest character, god i play this game the most after pausing for a while between releases. It's so much fun.

The game is also less punishingly difficult, which I'm not sure how I feel about, but hey, I'm still having fun, so whatever.
I have to say, that there really aren't that many high tech fleets around and one could argue that the skill that gives you after combat repair is OP. Although i have to say, i have yet to face "effective" Phase Ships, the idea is interesting but i just ignore all ships of that type currently.

Lastly, just saw an Omen for the first time in a while last night, the phase shift range on that thing is insane! I LOVE IT :D

calciumdeposit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:13 AM »

"starsector" to me sounds kind of generic, it lacks imagery.

starfarer had a nice ring to it

oh well maybe a better name might come up in the future

since this is a game where you can out fox your opponent to win maybe we can call it "starfox"

That works out perfectly you wont even need to change the original desktop icon

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2013, 06:58:28 AM »

"starsector" to me sounds kind of generic, it lacks imagery.

starfarer had a nice ring to it

oh well maybe a better name might come up in the future

since this is a game where you can out fox your opponent to win maybe we can call it "starfox"

That works out perfectly you wont even need to change the original desktop icon

Its just the issue of copyright, starfox is already a highly valuable copyrighted brand. And something like that is probably what happened with Starfarer. The decision is final.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »

I don't really like it either, but I'm sure the issue has been discussed to death by now, and really, I'm not sure if it's just the name or because I was attached to the name 'Starfarer' so I'm really not that upset.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »

Lastly, just saw an Omen for the first time in a while last night, the phase shift range on that thing is insane! I LOVE IT :D
Erm... Last time I checked the Omen has an emp not phase shift. Do you mean Hyperion? Or wolf class frigate? Maybe the medusa destroyer?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Ishikawa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »

Erm... Last time I checked the Omen has an emp not phase shift. Do you mean Hyperion? Or wolf class frigate? Maybe the medusa destroyer?

I know Wolf and Medusa have that, but it was a freaking teleporting Omen, though now that you mention it, it did have this lightning (emp?) attack-thingy. Maybe it was a bug. :/

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »

I know one thing, im not getting rid of my old 0.54a Starfarer install, Loved the name.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

Valhalla..  Might you be...THAT person? ;D

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »

What do you mean by that? lol

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »

Robbaz? :S
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

metime00

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »

I don't know if it was just added this release but for weapon grouping it seems that the game automatically moves a weapon group to the lowest number unfilled. I like to have my point defense in group 5 and my missiles group 3 for consistency across all ships, but now if I have less than five weapon groups I don't have that option.

Is there a reason for this?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »

I don't know if it was just added this release but for weapon grouping it seems that the game automatically moves a weapon group to the lowest number unfilled. I like to have my point defense in group 5 and my missiles group 3 for consistency across all ships, but now if I have less than five weapon groups I don't have that option.

Is there a reason for this?

It's always worked that way - just due to how things are set up internally. I see what you're suggesting, though - will keep that idea in mind.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »

One that note, could we have the option for a few more weapon groups? There seems to be plenty of room on the refit UI for them, and there are several cruisers and capitals that would really benefit from a couple extra groups.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

metime00

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »

Now I feel silly... Guess I just never bothered to pay attention to weapons groups until I was gonna have 5 groups anyway :P then going back down to beginning game stuff I noticed it
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20