Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 181197 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »

The name change is final, I get it. So this is the last opinion I will express on this subject, but I hope it will at least be considered.

I slept on the name change, and today, I was thinking about why it made me so uncomfortable. I realized it had nothing to do with my having grown familiar with the old name. It had everything to do with the connotations of each name, and what it evokes on first impression.

Starfarer

When I first heard this name, immediately I thought about possibilities and adventure. Without knowing anything about the game, I could imagine a lone starship pilot seeking his fortune between the stars, or perhaps a captain and his crew wandering the far reaches of space in search of adventure.

It's a name that instantly involves the player in your story. "Starfarer...like seafarer, except in space...adventures of the high seas in space! Awesome!"

Starsector

When I first hear the name Starsector, immediately I think about a particular sector of space. Even knowing what I do about the game, I can't tear myself from the notion that something happens in that sector of space which makes it worthy of being the game title. So I feel like I'm about to be told a story. "Starsector is a location. So something must be really important about this location, perhaps a really good story happened in this sector of space!"

--

So in conclusion, my own impression on this matter is that the name Starfarer evokes the kind of first impression that corresponds with what kind of game this will be, whereas Starsector sounds almost like a space opera, a kind of single play-through RPG like Mass Effect. Starfarer is a person, and that person is the target audience, the player. When you hear Starfarer, you know that YOU are the starfarer. Starsector sounds like a generic location in space. While it piques curiosity about what is so important about that location in space, it doesn't cause the player to identify so strongly with the title, because you haven't yet told them why they should care about that particular Starsector.

I wonder if anyone else had the same first impressions when they came across each name?

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »

Yes, looking at it further, Starsector does sound like some generic/vague section of space to me. *Shrug*

Regardless, we really should let the matter of a different name just drop right about now. At least for this thread. We've already made several pages and two or so threads on the matter already.

(http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5250.0 and http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5263.0)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »

Thanks for the info on "alwaysAnimate" piece!

Now, timed for me to go buckwild on it. ;D

EDIT:
Hmm.  Doesn't seem to be working.  Added that bit of code and even with the proper animation code, it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:46:20 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2013, 09:19:01 AM »

Hmmm....well that's odd (name change). But I'm sure it was necessary so I guess I'll go with it.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »

Honestly for those complaining about the videos having to have their names changed, you could just name the ones pre-.54.1A Starfarer and the ones using the ones afterward Starsector.

Though I think that Starfarer should still be referenced often within the actual confines of the game.  Sort of keepsake.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:21:30 AM by Reshy »

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »

Pfff, just a name.

Though it'll take ages for me to get use to.

This.

Now begins another painful phase of waiting for next patch information  ;D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »

I just keep the .54 download as a keepsake. :P An small reminder, compared to what the finished game will be like.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »

I'm going to keep calling it starfarer, just because it reminds me that I was around when it was in Alpha and I'm a "Veteran" Starfarer, rather than a Regular Starsector pilot.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »

We should, like, get special ranks for being true veterans :P [/offtopic]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »

Thanks for the info on "alwaysAnimate" piece!

Now, timed for me to go buckwild on it. ;D

EDIT:
Hmm.  Doesn't seem to be working.  Added that bit of code and even with the proper animation code, it doesn't work.

Just tried adding    "alwaysAnimate":"true", to shredder.wpn, and the Thumpers always spin (tested in both regular and decorative slots). Not sure what you're doing; probably worth a separate post over in the modding section.

Also: argh, the Onslaught has a sensor dish in this release. It's not supposed to!

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »

Also: argh, the Onslaught has a sensor dish in this release. It's not supposed to!

This is an unauthorized hull modification and the Hegenomy High Command will hear of this! Everyone from the logistics officer to the captain will be facing a court martial, count on it.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »

When i hear Spacesector i think of the god-awful Dark Sector game.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »

Lies. You just added it and wanted to see if anyone would notice.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »

Excited for update, miss old name, and wondering if save compatible because I didn't read anything to the contrary.

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »

I losted my saves and the mission rankings so i don't think it is. Doesn't bother me i make a new game every patch
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20