Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 181940 times)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.54.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

The only problem with the UI is that I can't hear them... I'll be darned if I have to wear my hearing aids under my headphones. The reason is that I'm partially deaf to high-pitched sounds, and so the *click* is almost impossible to hear... :(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:33:25 AM by Pataroo1 »
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »

Not everyone on this forum thinks that way you know.

No ***, the name isn't changing again, deal with it.

Why the sudden attack? Tarran didn't offend you or anything for you to respond that offensively. :/

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »

Yeah - let's dial it down and remain civil - no need to get aggressive.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »

@Gabrybbo:
Re: Guardian - right. Hmm. That's a tough one because you can manually turn off autofire when there's a danger of that, but it's awkward, and not always practical - especially if it's in a group with other PD that you still want firing. But I don't think making it only target missiles would work well, either - there are cases when you *do* want beam PD to fire at shields.

I see... yeah, sometimes i use burst lasers to give some extra soft flux to the enemy, but to use the Guardian i give up a large slot, so it's irritating to see it take a shot at an enemy shield, then take down a Mirv, then a Pilum volley, then take another shot at the shield, then kill some Annihilators and then see that missiles go past it because it used its charges on the shield, which in the meantime is perfectly holding... The problem is that if i want to use it to overload an enemy I need to concentrate only on his ship, otherwise it's pretty much only a waste of charges for little gain.  :(
Damn, it's really tough. Maybe with the new on-hit effects something can be done... I'll try something and open a suggestion thread as soon as i come up with a valid idea.  :)

By the way, i noticed that hitting a missile with a EMP weapon like the Ion cannon doesn't shut it down like the EMP emitter does... Is this intended?  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »

how does one run starsector? when I click the shortcut it says this location no longer exists and deletes the shortcut. any suggestions?

edit: heads up, since this is new (maybe the new name? it didn't have issues with starfarer...) Norton does not yet recognize it and quarantines the .exe file
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:18:36 PM by ciago92 »

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »

Ah yes I had the same issue. You need to go to tasks then history then set list to quarantine. Simply restore the file and your good to go.
E./ In norton of course.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:39:39 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

TBH guys you should not be using Norton at all, it's a disaster of an AV program.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

stardidi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »

*chokes*

Would you mind to never mention that again? :P

Seriously though, MSSE is kinda cool, but really bad!
Things like Avast, AVG, NOD64, stuff like that is really nice and cuddly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »

AVG, I don't know... I'd take it off that list - I remember how at one point, it decided to randomly delete a system file, causing the OS to stop booting at all. Fun times were had booting off a CD and using "extract" from the command line to get a workable copy of that file from the innards of the XP installation CD :)

CarbonTwelve

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »

AVG, I don't know... I'd take it off that list - I remember how at one point, it decided to randomly delete a system file, causing the OS to stop booting at all. Fun times were had booting off a CD and using "extract" from the command line to get a workable copy of that file from the innards of the XP installation CD :)

I had almost the same experience the last time I used Norton about 10 years ago.  It was offered to install when I was installing some software that came with a CD drive, and for whatever reason I just accepted.  Upon first running it informed me that a system file had a virus in it and proceeded to quarantine the file (didn't give me a choice) and requested that I reboot.  After rebooting Windows wouldn't start and I couldn't even fix it; I had to reinstall.  I have no idea what virus I had but whatever it was it did nowhere near as much damage as Norton.

IMO MSSE is fine - it's the least intrusive anti-virus I've seen.  I wouldn't bother with anything more than that though.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »

*chokes*

Aside from AVG those are all good, but there is really nothing wrong with MSSE unless you really, really hate Microsoft.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »

*chokes*

Aside from AVG those are all good, but there is really nothing wrong with MSSE unless you really, really hate Microsoft.

Unless you use firefox, and it causes this bug to occur in MSSE.

stardidi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2013, 01:09:37 AM »

Yeah Ok, AVG is debatable.
My problem with MSSE is that it doesn't really work, and uses a LOT of resource. In a lot of test it only picked up like 70% of all malware, and uses more than twice as much as AVAST.

But this is getting of topic, like this thread always seems to do :P

Does the name change also mean a (minor) change in design? I don't remember reading anything about that  (But I could be wrong)

Very cool patch notes though! Keep up making this game more awesome!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

Does the name change also mean a (minor) change in design? I don't remember reading anything about that  (But I could be wrong)

No design change whatsoever. (If you look back at some of the lore, the game takes place inside a relatively newly-colonized Sector, which consists of many star systems.)

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:20 PM »

Really many? Ok that I'm good with the new name. At first o thought this new sector thing ment a smaller map, which made me sad (as with starfarer I though of a huge place!!) so now that I know this I'm reassured :D

Never really cared for the name change anyways but new name was better, but I can except this new name now.

I VOW TO NEVER ACCIDENTLY CALL THIS STARSECT....starfarer....AGAIN!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20