Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dominator!  (Read 3203 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Dominator!
« on: December 15, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

I just got a Dominator for a (mainly) combat skill focused character - and I love it! I'm kind of amazed at how great they are if you take care not to get a big enemy behind you.

Build:
2x Hellbore
2x Flak
3x Reaper (5 shot + 1 from perk)
7x light needler (I think there are 7 slots?)

Dedicated targeting core
Armored weapon mounts

I have the lvl 10 ballistics perk and about 3 levels in tech, so the vents/caps are nearly full. I've also found that the lvl 10 piloting perk is a game changer with this ship (speed bonus up to 25% flux). The Reapers are surprisingly versatile - long range "bowling" for destroyers is a heck of a lot of fun.

Anyone else have Dominator builds they really like?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dominator!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »

I personally like the large autocannon IX in the large mounts with maulers in the medium slots. The maulers are good enough to remove armor once the shields are overwhelmed, and once the armor is ground away the autocannons do as much damage as the maulers.

Course though, this is incredibly vulnerable to fighters and bombers since the dominator is basically left with peashooters in all the small mounts.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »

Light Needlers are almost universally the key to making low/mid-tech ships work. Enough of them, and frigates can't even get close to you without having to back off, take hull damage or overload, leaving you free to do whatever you want. Maulers are also amazing on large ships with ITUs.

Personally I love flying it with Hephaestus ACs, a pair of flaks, light needlers and harpoon pods. Hullmods differ but generally, you'll want maneuvering jets.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:06:56 AM by Cycerin »

jimy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »

I say that Autocannon + heavy armour + light assault guns at the front + Anhilator rocket pods + armored weapon turrets + armored engine + flak for the point defense is the ultimate heavy assault ship.
The tactic is too get the enemy flux high witht the autocannons and then brun drive into their face and spam rockets. The light assault guns do the rest.
In most fights they don't even get past the armour.

Also I almost made it to kill an Onslaught in a 1v1. Without any tricks and big movement we just faced each other and kept firing.
I actually only lost because I vented too early and was killed when the Onslaught had 5% hull.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

Why dedicated targeting core instead of integrated targeting unit?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »

I don't have that hullmod in that game and I still find it awesome even though it costs more OP.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »

I like the Mark IX Autocannons, Annihilator Rocket Pods, and flak. The autocannons devastate shields and the shotgun blast makes it work very well even against smaller, more mobile ships. The Rocket Pods strip armor and allow for a withering fusillade of fire that doesn't cost any flux. The flak protects you against bomber runs, torpedoes, and Harpoons.

I usually run a pair of Railguns or light needlers in the back to scare off hounds, with vulcans or heavy machine guns in the rest of the small slots to take down flankers.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »

Gauss cannon sniper all the way
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.