Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41

Author Topic: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] Outdated.  (Read 322467 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] UPDATE! 15/03/04
« Reply #525 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:13 AM »

the number of ships have been reduced considerably, because they were either never sold, nobody used them, or they simply had no meaning, there are still ship classes and sister ships to keep the feeling of upgrades. but the ships that exist now are all their own ship, they have a soul of their own, they do their own thing.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 05, 2015, 05:13:27 AM »

Or simply lore-wise spacecrafts with an interesting rack of destruction just waiting to be unleashed.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

EI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »

the number of ships have been reduced considerably.

Whyyyyyyyyyy~? :c
You know what happens when I raise the "alarm"~ <3

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »

the number of ships have been reduced considerably.

Whyyyyyyyyyy~? :c

because they were either never sold, nobody used them, or they simply had no meaning.

EI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

I know. )o)

But I want the old ships to still co-exist, being the ghostly counterparts of the faction that will haunt any virtual person in the game in their sleep.

Much like Monster ships. c:
You know what happens when I raise the "alarm"~ <3

DinoZavarski

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 07, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »

There are some filename case related typos in the mod that break game loading (Linux, maybe Mac to):

in data/weapons/proj/sunfury_torpedo.proj :
graphics/missiles/Torpedo_Sunfury.png
has to become:
graphics/missiles/torpedo_Sunfury.png

in data/config/sounds.json :
sounds/fx/guns/SH5_guns/P09_$Gun_muzzle_flash.wav
has to become:
sounds/fx/guns/SH5_Guns/P02_$Gun_muzzle_flash.wav

in data/hulls/pd_valk.ship :
graphics/ships/drones/valk_interceptor_drone.png
has to become:
graphics/ships/drones/Valk_interceptor_drone.png

Me no know, me no understand, me just root...

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 14, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »

Quite liking how the Emerald Freighter looks. Only just got around to playing around with the new version though, so yeah.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:34 AM »

As an oldish timer, I really regretted the day when this mod fell behind, all those fond memories of minding my busyness in Corvus and such only to be greeted with that dreadful message upon reaching level 30.
 Seeing that murderous blob crawl my way like an invincible zombie. Thinking '' How the hell can I kill that when I can't ever use a destroyer to tell 3 lame frigates to buzz off".

So naturally I was excited when the murder wedges entered the new and expanded sector.

Now for some impressions:

- I salute your initiative to get rid of the fat, content for the sake of content is rarely a good thing especially when done in the 'like x but better way'. No use having a butt load of ships if a good portion of them will never be used (or are just inferior versions). It also had the side effect of making the mod lighter on the game ( before I could have 10 mods and it would load nice, then add the Valks and suddenly it would become around 2:10 minutes,).
 - The reworked sprites are awesome. ( the new Jenova, Yoshura, Cherberos, Radiance and Vatican really look like higher end ships like you intended them instead of mid line gun monsters). Would like to see more of that.
 - Theres still some fat to get rid of: The Yuusha is small, ugly and unlikely to ever be taken seriously by a player. I understand every faction needs a crap tier frigate, just not the valks. If I want a fast striker I'll just slap some engine mods on the Longinus since it's its superior in every aspect but the top speed. My advice: get rid of the Yuusha, the Jenova can more than make up for the scout role and it has other uses too.
 -  There's no reason to use the Almire MK I over the MK II. Sure the MK II is more expensive but it's superior in every way. ( Like X but better ).
     Something that bugs me about this issue: one is a light while the other is a heavy cruiser, yet the MK II is faster, has the same maximum burn and fuel consumption per light year? Nuh'uh, the MK I Almire should get a boost in mentioned areas, to deserve its name of a light cruiser, otherwise its just there and not worth it other than as a cheaper alternative.
 - Same issues with the MK I and MK II Nirvanas, light and heavy cruisers that have the exact same speed, max burn and fuel consumption, only these 2 consume the same amount of supplies per day as well.
 - This one is a small nitpick: both the Yoshura and Yoshura prime have the same burn speed, despite the fact that one is an ordinary battleship and the other a monster. My advice: either increase the Yoshuras burn speed by 1 or reduce the Primes burn speed by 1.
 - Missing descriptions, missing descriptions everywhere. (insert buzz light year meme)
 - The Vatican MK II is still being referred as MK IV in its description.

Well thats about it, hope it helps.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:56:26 AM by Sabaton »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #533 on: March 29, 2015, 07:51:45 AM »

Couple of bugs:

There are some case-sensitive mismatches between filenames and how they're referenced that cause Linux players to crash on startup; one or the other needs to change. The affected files are:
SH5_Guns (referenced as SH5_guns)
torpedo_Sunfury.png (referenced as Torpedo_Sunfury)
Valk_interceptor_drone.png (referenced as valk_interceptor_drone)

The market on planet Enigma I is named Enigma II and the one on planet Enigma II is named Enigma III.

Shedovv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 02, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »

Lessening the Ship count.. in my opinion is a plus/minus which kind of negates it self. Some other changes to ships also force to at least raise an eyebrow. Take the Inquisitor for instance. Before it used Med mounts as it's 2 front turrets, which gave it the heavy feel, it allowed it to fight heavier ships well enough (provided he had support) while obliterating smaller targets with just a couple of hits which coupled with it's lack of maneuverability balanced it out. Now it just feels weak. Also.. Missing descriptions... GAH.. they been there for ages. Please fill them up already. Also a update of the OP would be nice. A pic('s) of them ships and same for the weapons would be nice. Other than that, Valkyrians are still *** amazing simple as that. Keep it up.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 02, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »

The previous Inquisitor was stronger than half the vanilla Destroyers, of course it felt heavy! Even now it's still stronger that a good half of the vanilla Frigates.

Shedovv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »

The previous Inquisitor was stronger than half the vanilla Destroyers, of course it felt heavy! Even now it's still stronger that a good half of the vanilla Frigates.

I do not oppose that. But As it stood before due to the sheer power of medium sized turrets a couple of well placed shots allowed it to stand it's own against fast targets. Now it struggles a lot, not only it has to HIT the enemy it also has to do it a lot more than before. Though I'l give it that this change forces me to TRY and use the main caliber of the Inquisitor more often, but the fact that it almost instantly get's overloaded with flux after one barrage make it not a very pleasant thing to do.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 03, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

I think the problem comes more from some of the small weapons that we nerfed too hard. Try it with Shards or Railguns and it feels quite okay, overloading the targets from a distance then bursting in for the kill. My favorite is a Longinus with 4 shards guns: it's a beast against heavier targets but you pay dearly any mistake.

Shedovv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 04, 2015, 05:09:38 AM »

I think the problem comes more from some of the small weapons that we nerfed too hard. Try it with Shards or Railguns and it feels quite okay, overloading the targets from a distance then bursting in for the kill. My favorite is a Longinus with 4 shards guns: it's a beast against heavier targets but you pay dearly any mistake.

Not sure if it's only/the weapons. Before the Valkyrian ships were these tough mother f***r's who can stand their ground against a foe with superior numbers and if played well, win. Now they aren't anything close to that. While I understand why nerfing took place. Valkyrian's always were this tough badass girls with fearsome ships. Now it's just not the case, which ruins the feel the faction had for so long.

P.S. Even tho they were tough as eff they weren't invincible, which is why I loved them.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 04, 2015, 06:06:57 AM »

I don't completely agree with that sentiment: Valkyrians have been about big ships, but even their small ones were incredibly tough. Now they still have their huge capitals (though slightly toned down) but their smaller ships are now a bit underpowered. I think this on the contrary emphasis their love for huge lumbering murder-wedges. In the same order of idea the global logistic footprint has been reduced, meaning that you get a better result in fleet slugfest than in solo super-capital battle. They are a bit starved from ordonances point so they scale nicely if you invest in both technology and logistic.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41