Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41

Author Topic: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] Outdated.  (Read 322461 times)

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.2B [0.6.1a - Vanilla Balanced]
« Reply #300 on: November 08, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »

I stay with my opinion i had when Valks where released. Valks are cool and I enjoy playing and fighting them.
Strong indeed, but i wouldn't say more "OP" than some other mods around.

Mixing the strongest weapons of every faction on a ship could make it OP .. but that is not the fault of a single modder.
also a "balance issue" is from your leveld character .. which makes the greatest difference until the AI also gets those, too.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 09, 2013, 12:53:02 AM »

Balance can't be perceived and examined, or applied as a single solid object. It is a complex mechanism, and sometimes one part doesn't make sense when you compare it to another part, but it still works when put in a game.

Stronger than average ships, especially bigger ships, give a nice challenge to player. Which is very good. Though regarding Valks - they aren't that hard to defeat, and the main reason is that they are pretty straightforward faction. Some ohter factions with a bit weaker stats on bigger ships, but more different approaches to combat, give a lot more trouble to me.
Another thing is that in end game, when you have all those bigger ships, balance already doesn't work. Will you roll over the paper tank with Merkava, Abrams or T-54? Doesn't really matter, though obviously every vehicle has its own strenghts and one obviously will be stronger in certain situation.
So from a point of fighting against Valks I prefer them to be stronger.
When I play with Valks they are a bit different from other factions, but overall it is a minor thing and mostly how pleasureable my experience depends on how I play, and less on how exactly balanced ships are in terms of numbers.
And the last point, which gives most issues with balance, is when you mix weapons and ships from different factions. But given number of factions I don't think it is realistically possible to balance such thing, only limit to some extent those mixes, which will break the game.

I personally think that the best measure of balance is how content mod creator with his own creation. Most of the time end product will be good. Players can give their opinions from their point of view, but mod still will be a creation through the eyes of the creator, so the most important opinion is one of the creator.
And the funny thing is that since SS 0.6 balance revolves more about logistics. So using biggest possible ships most of the time isn't best decision, which overall makes them balance wise weaker.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 09, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »

Such a philosophical debate over a game, anyway, people seem to be very 'me' centric, of course you will find it challenging and what not with your leveled up char and uber flag ship, but put an AI controlled ship against them and chances are you already know the result.
 Odds are you will have bigger fleets at some point and that you will have to babysit every other ship to prevent it from being blown up, and after your command points run out, what you gonna do? ( of course, it may be because of the AI).
 I'm saying that they pretty much own everything without player intervention, and players can't be one man armies or in two places at once.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 09, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »

Yosh-II and Vat-IV are "Elite" capital ships in Exerelin, they start appearing in fleets once you go down far enough in the faction tech tree, I don't know how that works tho, but im sure Zap will chime in here shortly and fill the info vacuum.

Oh so you do need 10 points in the faction then 10 points in the fleet deployment... Hmmm Alright!

(sorry for the late reply)

It doesn't work that way in Exerelin (yet). That's the eventual plan (or a similar 'reward' type setup). At the moment though the Yosh-II and the Vat-IV do not appear for sale in stations. They do appear (small possibility) in the AI fleets.

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 09, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

Yosh-II and Vat-IV are "Elite" capital ships in Exerelin, they start appearing in fleets once you go down far enough in the faction tech tree, I don't know how that works tho, but im sure Zap will chime in here shortly and fill the info vacuum.

Oh so you do need 10 points in the faction then 10 points in the fleet deployment... Hmmm Alright!

(sorry for the late reply)

It doesn't work that way in Exerelin (yet). That's the eventual plan (or a similar 'reward' type setup). At the moment though the Yosh-II and the Vat-IV do not appear for sale in stations. They do appear (small possibility) in the AI fleets.

Aww... You got to be kidding... That's no fun for us player.... >:|

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

expanded the lore a lil bit, apparently some people like to read. ::)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2013, 03:23:30 AM »

Also added a faction strengths and weaknesses list, do you guys agree with these? anything that needs changing? removed? added?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2013, 06:13:10 AM »

Ohh? what guy might this be? and where can i see this video/post? ;D

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.3 [0.6.2a - Vanilla Balanced]
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »

Jesus im tired... Anyway, Releasing 1.3, probably going to lay low for a while now, Check OP for download, a lot of goodies in there, hopefully found in the changelog, updated a few old scripts as well, (yay Meso ;))

Typos are common but you know me, I cant spell for **** :P so if you find them tell me and I'll get right on it.

Do provide feedback should you fight these guys or use them yourselves, it does provide me with outside perspective. :)

Delete or move any previous version of this mod when installing, common sense but anyway.

Have fun everybody!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:13:49 PM by ValkyriaL »

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »

0.6.2a vanilla ballanced? 0.6.2 is already out, or is 0.6.1-RC2 What you are referring too?

Testing away happily. ^>^
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »

Hoo boy, lots of valks to slay! Anyways, I love this mod, for it brings a proper boss\elite fleet feel to the game. I'll try fighting them to test!

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »

Put it as 0.6.2 so i don't have to change it later. :P

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »

Error loading [graphics/ships/infinity.png]

That's an error I get everytime, running vanilla-ish SS... what resource is that? O.o; checking the Graphic folder of my startsector and I can't find it... I know I'm running the latest one...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:53:17 PM by Viymese »
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »

If you're running vanilla SS, valks aren't in there either. ;D

This is the Infinity, which seems to work perfectly fine. ???
http://i.imgur.com/GYQVu4z.png

im going to need more of that error log to help you. :-\

Garmine

• Lieutenant
  • We're The Borg. Every resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 23, 2013, 06:03:59 AM »

Is the newest version (nov 21) save-compatible?
I went outside one day, the graphics were amazing, but the gameplay sucked...
Prepare yourselves for miscapitalization errors! *evil laugh*
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41