Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41

Author Topic: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] Outdated.  (Read 322456 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.0 [0.54.1a - Vanilla Balanced]
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »

If we're gonna go there, the VatIII already looks too phallic.

Foxtrot

• Lieutenant
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 06, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »

I just think it would be nice to use the siege cannons as a regular weapon instead of built in, that way i could make something that everything would fear, and look fricken badass
"Do your duty as you see it, and damn the consequences!"
-General George S. Patton

Helios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 06, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »

I just think it would be nice to use the siege cannons as a regular weapon instead of built in, that way i could make something that everything would fear, and look fricken badass
Quite the opposite. If every ship could be outfitted with "something that everything would fear", then what's the point?

Speaking of which, seems the AI couldn't utilize broadside firepower effectively, they always act like a frigging Onslaught.

That's how I managed to defeat the Royal Armada with two vanilla ships (to be fair, they are mostly outfitted with Valkyrie weaponry). If only those poor Vats know how to turn their ship a few degrees...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:42:18 PM by Helios »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 06, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »

Hohoh? is this the Chinese version i'm looking at? taking the valk navy on with 2 vanilla ships is a big feat, but to be fair, thats the old navy, the new one...is gonna be a hell lot harder... ;)

Helios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 06, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »

Yep, and speaking of which, can I translate this mod into Simplified Chinese? This mod is by far my favorite non-TC mod. I promise all the translations will be done manually, not "mechanically".

Actually the translation is already halfway done, THEN I realized I should ask for permission first...orz

Anyway, there's something else I wanna ask: the race description states "A race born with the power to generate red flames", but their dialog says "You will burn in the valkyries blue flame".
So...which is true? btw I'm guessing their flame changes color depending on their mood.

Also, most of the ship class name seems to be based on mythology, but some doesn't really make any sense to me, like "Yoshura" (Japanese name?), "Tesladora" (feminine Tesla?), "Jenova"  (dict says "brand name"?), "Ancord" and "Almire". I'm fine with transliteration though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:20:12 PM by Helios »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 06, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »

I think Valk just plucked cool sounding names for ships.  :P

Helios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »

I think Valk just plucked cool sounding names for ships.  :P
Probably... There's even "Yuusha" (Japanese for Hero) and "Excalibur"... and their ship names are also in Japanese.

Isn't Valkyrie supposed to be using Greece mythology? Guess I'm thinking too hard.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »

Ships like the Yuusha and the Yoshura imply japanese naming schemes. The only relevant thing I can find for the Jenova is the overall bad guy of FF7 of the same name. Excalibur is a sword in an English mythos. Elfheim is, again, something from Final Fantasy like Jenova. Elysium is a Greek realm of the dead. The Valkyrie is a Nordic angel of sorts that chooses who has died valiantly in battle and can go to Valhalla. Azgard (which should be spelt Asgard) is home to the Aesir, also of Nordic origins. Morgiana, I can find nothing on it, seems to be an anime character.

So yeah. Plucked random cool sounding names.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »

That's how I managed to defeat the Royal Armada with two vanilla ships (to be fair, they are mostly outfitted with Valkyrie weaponry). If only those poor Vats know how to turn their ship a few degrees...

I think one of my favourite aspects of the capital class Vats is that you can cruise towards the enemy at high speed, do a handbrake turn 'battleship the movie' style, and then unload all your cannons in their face. However as you said, the AI in control of a Vat seems to point it's useless nose towards  the enemy where there are no large guns or missiles - hence all the more reason for a big bore cannon pointing out the front.

I nice big long range cannon sticking out the front would be tactically useful to hit escaping enemies in their rear exhaust ports, disabling their engines long enough to catch up to them and give them another good broadside.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »

Well, myself I just got an earful for forgetting to not ask for permission for something, it happens, and its not good, but since you are already halfway, actually asked for permission (now is better than never) and i'm a nice guy, go on and finish it, but do try to ask before you start. (hell i should be telling myself that) :)

I have indeed, just named my ships after what i thought was cool and what came to mind when i made the ship, no particular pattern, if i think too much about it can sit for half an hour trying to figure out a good name, so i'll use what sounds appropriate.

And yes, many of the descriptions don't make sense and don't match up, i can't decide what color of flame they are supposed to have, i'll fix that today. ::)

And yes, they are "valkyries" so perhaps i really should be using greece/nordic names?

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 07, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »

Valkyries are Nordic, so only Nordic names.
And you have competition in the Shadowyards. Several ships in the Shadowyards fleet are named after Nordic mythos. Mimir, a decapitated head that possesses great knowledge and provides counsel to Odin. The Shadowyards ship, Mimir also possesses the Níðhöggr. Níðhöggr is a serpent that continually attacks the World Tree, Yggdrasil.
Here, have various Nordic mythos. Some are gods, some are characters in the mythos.

Jormungand, the World Serpent.
Midgard, realm of the humans.
Asgard, realm of the gods.
Jotunheim, realm of the Giants.
Ymir, -the- Giant.
Helheim, realm of the dead.
Hel, daughter of Loki and god of Helheim.
Loki, god of mischief and trickery.
Sleipnir, an 8 legged horse.
Thor, god of thunder.
Aesir (correctly, Æsir), the gods.
Vanir, the other gods.
Heimdall, a god and guardian of the Bifrost.
Bifrost, gateway between Midgard and Asgard.
Jotunn, a giant of any kind.
Mjolnir, magic hammer and weapon of Thor. (Name's already used by the Mjolnir Cannon, though.  :P)
Norns, Non Organic Rational Nanosystems Seers that watch over people's destinies.
Wyrd, pronounced "weird", one's fate. Also one of the names of the three main Norns (Urðr)
Verdandi (Verðandi), another Norn.
Skuld, another Norn. (P.S, if you click on the cool-sounding name for Norns, those are the three norns, Skuld, Verdandi and Urdr, Urdr being closest to the camera, Skuld the farthest. Why are they different ages? Skuld watches the future, Verdandi, the present and Urdr, the past. Go figure.)

Enough names for now, though.

Helios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »

It is done. Not that anybody here needs it, but I'll just throw it up anyway.

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1461130118&uk=1880011423

Also, some typo/missing stuff I found while translating:

Description of Tesladora class : "addaptable" -> "adaptable"

Description of Vat III class : "vissual" -> "visual"

Ship system missing their functionality classification.

ECM Jammer : Special?
Command Relay : Support?
EMSW: Offensive? (I think... it's powerful but kinda wired)
Incendiary Ammo: Offensive?

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »

You know "ECM Jammer" doesn't make much sense. "Electronic Counter Measures Jammer". So it's actually ECCM by definition. Electronic Counter Counter Measures.
The Command Relay, I have no idea of it's role as I don't know what it does.
Don't even know what the EMSW is. Is that the shockwave generator that the Vatican IV never uses? Offensive, I'd say.
Incendiary Ammo is offensive. Bolsters damage for a while.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

• ECM Jammer - reduces sight range of enemies in range.
  • Command Relay - boosts the performance of nearby friendlies at the expense of the performance of the ship with the relay.
  • Valkyria Electromagnetic Shockwave Generator - the Vatican Mk IV's shipsystem, creates a damaging shockwave and EMP pulse that also knocks ships away. Becomes much more powerful the closer an enemy is to the blast. The EMP effect is blocked by shields.
  • Incendiary Ammo - what SS said.

Helios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2013, 11:40:31 AM »

In that case "Scrambler" might be a more fitting name. Or just Radar Jammer.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41