Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41

Author Topic: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] Outdated.  (Read 322411 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.3C [0.6.2a - Vanilla Balanced] UPDATE! 14/05/25
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »

all these crashes are caused by a fake entity in the Vat IV script, it only affects mac users to my knowledge, but its fixed for the next version.

plans are as always, make the majority of people that play the valks happy.

other than that, removal of non relevant ships and weapons are considered, since you never see them anymore, they aren't interesting or relevant, and they take up memory.
better balance, which the skype chat and recent comments has provided me with, and have been put to good use.

i haven't thought that far into the future, since i have school and work going on, so the mod itself is put on a lower priority, updates will keep on coming tho, so we will simply have to see what the future brings. :)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.4 [0.6.2a - Vanilla Balanced] UPDATE! 14/10/02
« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »

He who waits gets something good.

And something good you will get indeed.

The day is here ladies and gentlemen, 1.4 is out, and its waiting for you all, sail the dark frontier as the mighty Valkyrians and crush your enemies beneath your heels!

Updated the OP as well, with a new ship family picture amongst other things.

Now if you excuse me, i'll be working on 1.5...

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkq8t9f0673nmxf/Valkyrians_1.4_Release.zip?dl=0

Changelog
Spoiler
#Version 1.4

- The Valkyrians have finally received their own star system. no longer will they operate from their weird asgard inspired planet in corvus with TO many stations to keep track off.

- Valkyrian Royal Armada has received a makeover, they auto win against all AI fleets, making them immune to death-kiting, they also have unlimited command points, allowing them to have the battlefield advantage regardless of the current situation.
- Their attack level can be modified in their boss file script, in case you think they are annoying or attack too early, their current attack level is 30.

- Made Changes to the Chasing Memories mission.
- Added a few new missions.

- longer cooldown for scorpion MRM and its pod version as well as reduced flight time.
- Slightly nerfed all ballistic point defence.
- Slightly Reduced damage on certain cruise missiles.
- Slightly increased ammo on certain cruise missiles.
- Buffed the Lancer family of weapons.
- Fixed double damage bug on Ether Drive and Ice-Lance cannons.

- All Military variants removed.
- Valkyrian Fleets no longer use Vanilla weapons. balancing them even further.
- Most small Valkyrian point defence for cruisers and capital ships is now built-in, to prevent their exceptional amount of weapon slots from being abused by players, thus much improved faction balance.
- Reduced Ordinance Points for all ships Destroyer class or larger.
- Corrected Supply/day usage of ships.
- Corrected Repair/day usage for ships.

- Decorative blinking lights on Vatican Mk.III, Heron, Almire Mk.II, Almire Mk.III.

- Added NX-K.Max series prototype PD weapon, #made by Maximillianyuen.#
- All high tier fighters have new weapons, greatly balancing them.
- Corrected Supply/day usage of fighters.
- Reduced the size of the ASF fighter.

- All Nirvana class ships now have the Infernium Drive system.
- Burst Drive Replaced with Infernium drive, #made by Cycerin.#
- Incendiary ammunition replaced with Overcharge. increases damage and flux dissipation, but generates hard flux at a very fast rate.
- Added negative effects to the Vessel Modernization hull mod, it was simply an extremely good mod with no drawbacks. increases ship supply and repair per day by 10%.

- Legion Plasma LRM added. #Dark.Revenant modification#
- Removed Herald Destroyer (very old ship that never saw the light of day, a few people may have noticed it in the sprite folder under the name of "Limbo".)
- Almire Mk.III added. (last "combat" ship in the mod, no more will be added, i have too many ships as it is.)
- 2 rear small PD on Yoshura II removed, slightly new engine and hull design, all small PD is built in.
- Almire Mk.II changes: -2 large mounts, +2 medium mounts.
- Sequence added.
- Heron remodeled.
[close]

Full changelog can be found on the OP.

E^1 Also added some spoilers to the OP, makes the text less overwhelming.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:50:53 PM by ValkyriaL »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

Glad to see the giant murder-wedges back in the field. With a fresh coat of paint at that!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 08, 2014, 04:09:39 PM »

Okay so i more or less finished my Valkyrian campaign and like a lot of people i consider them still too strong despite the recent nerfs.

One of the biggest weakness of the faction is their lack of mobility but i noticed it wasn't an actual issue for them. You can't flank those ships because of their very good shield coverage and the amount of PDs on the rear. All the combat ships with the exception of the Valkyrie MK.II have at least a 270° shield arc. On top of that, even the destroyers have at least 4 PDs to protect themselves against missiles.

Because of this, Valkyrians actually don't really have to fear of anyone getting in their back and for a faction which main weakness is the lack mobility, it's problematic.

But even then not every Valkyrians ships lack mobility, the Nirvana series and the Elysium have infernium drive that allow them to quickly move to a position to another. A lot of time i could go straight in the middle of the enemy fleet, delivering the killing blow to that one ship with my Nirvana and could get out relatively unscathed thanks to its ship system. In some way, the Nirvana/Elysium/Radiance are probably the only worthwhile flagship for the player as you can pull some very nice play with the infernium drive. The other ships? Not so much.

Another problem is their excessive amount of weapons. To compare an Elfheim and an Enforcer, the Enforcer have 5 medium mounts and 4 small ones. The Elfheim have 4 medium mounts, 6 small ones and 4 built in PDs guns. That's a lot more guns, especially when the Elfheim cost 10 deployment points just like the Enforcer and have much better stats in nearly every single categories.

Same thing for Cruisers, a Nirvana MK.I (for some reason i can't find a variant of it, even in dev mod) cost 17 deployment points like the Aurora but with 1 large mount, 8 medium mounts and 10 small ones. The Aurora only have 1 large mount, 3 medium and 9 small. The firepower difference is absolutely monstrous. In the campaign, i couldn't find a single cruiser that could go toe-to-toe with my Nirvana MK.II as i could drown it in missiles and bullets.

It's the same thing with nearly every Valkyrians ships, all heavily outgunning vanilla ships and keeping extremely good stats on top of this. Never in the campaign i felt strained by the the flux despite the amount of weapons i fire.

About the vanilla weapons combo with their ships. Most Valkyrian weapons deal energy damage but i think they benefit much more from Kinetic weaponry like the vanilla needler because they can instantly crush an enemy ship shield and open the way for their missiles. And Valkyrians have a lot of missiles.

A lancer/scorpion work but it doesn't work as well as a HVDs/annihilators combo in my opinion and experience. The Nirvana MK.II, with 4 medium and 3 small missiles mounts can spam Annihilators even better than an Onslaught and when you have 4 HVDs plus a MK.IX AC plowing your shield, there's not much an enemy cruiser (or even capital sometime) can do. But then again, it's not because Valkyrians weapons suck, it's because they have too much guns.

Still about the weapons, the IR-PD cannon is too strong. At 6 OPs, the IR-PD is a much better PD weapon than the dual MG, more ammo, more range... At every tests it took down more Pilums than the DMG did. A bit too good right now, especially when its built in some ships. The IR-PD laser however need two shots to take down a Pilum, it can intercept two lrms at best, sometimes 3 with expanded magazine.

In the end, Valkyrians have too many guns, way too many. Either you nerf their strength by reducing/removing some medium mounts, either you nerf their "weakness" by (heavily) reducing the shields arc and flux capacity/venting, or maybe a combination of both, given how strong they are it certainly won't kill them. They need to be vulnerable in some way. Right now missiles can't reach them and trying to crack them open with brute strength doesn't work either as they'll overwhelm your shield first.

Other than this, i found a few other issues.

As i said in the chat, the Legion lrm is broken. Infinite long range missiles will only lead to broken stuffs, if not for Valkyrian, then for another faction. They already have the Shadow lrm (although its range is surprisingly short for a lrm) that fill this role. The Legion really shouldn't exist, also it use II medium ballista sprite.

Speaking of sprite, the Ice lance have the same sprite as the concussion beam from Citadel, you might want to see this with Foxer.

The Scorpion MRM i think is a bit stronger than the Harpoon (more ammo which is better against frigates, faster missiles even though it's ROF is lower) but it's debatable. What is not debatable however is that the Scorpion is 2 OPs cheaper the Harpoon pod, not a good thing.

The Valkyrie MK.II is underpriced for such an incredible carrier. A mobile flight deck with two medium missiles and cheaper than an Condor? Hersey!

The Radiance redemption laser is too loud, like, uncomfortably loud.

A mistake in the Yoshura description "while its mobility is lacking" i think it should be "however its mobility is lacking".

The Ancord bomber CR cost is way too expensive. 20% per bomber deployed give it way too few replacement. By comparison a Trident wing is only 10%.

Also might be a good thing to add description to Infernium drive and Overcharge

I probably missed a lot of things but the main issue is here, too many guns, overall stats way too good. Nerfpls.

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 08, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »

Okay so i more or less finished my Valkyrian campaign and like a lot of people i consider them still too strong despite the recent nerfs.

One of the biggest weakness of the faction is their lack of mobility but i noticed it wasn't an actual issue for them. You can't flank those ships because of their very good shield coverage and the amount of PDs on the rear. All the combat ships with the exception of the Valkyrie MK.II have at least a 270° shield arc. On top of that, even the destroyers have at least 4 PDs to protect themselves against missiles.

Because of this, Valkyrians actually don't really have to fear of anyone getting in their back and for a faction which main weakness is the lack mobility, it's problematic.

But even then not every Valkyrians ships lack mobility, the Nirvana series and the Elysium have infernium drive that allow them to quickly move to a position to another. A lot of time i could go straight in the middle of the enemy fleet, delivering the killing blow to that one ship with my Nirvana and could get out relatively unscathed thanks to its ship system. In some way, the Nirvana/Elysium/Radiance are probably the only worthwhile flagship for the player as you can pull some very nice play with the infernium drive. The other ships? Not so much.

Another problem is their excessive amount of weapons. To compare an Elfheim and an Enforcer, the Enforcer have 5 medium mounts and 4 small ones. The Elfheim have 4 medium mounts, 6 small ones and 4 built in PDs guns. That's a lot more guns, especially when the Elfheim cost 10 deployment points just like the Enforcer and have much better stats in nearly every single categories.

Same thing for Cruisers, a Nirvana MK.I (for some reason i can't find a variant of it, even in dev mod) cost 17 deployment points like the Aurora but with 1 large mount, 8 medium mounts and 10 small ones. The Aurora only have 1 large mount, 3 medium and 9 small. The firepower difference is absolutely monstrous. In the campaign, i couldn't find a single cruiser that could go toe-to-toe with my Nirvana MK.II as i could drown it in missiles and bullets.

It's the same thing with nearly every Valkyrians ships, all heavily outgunning vanilla ships and keeping extremely good stats on top of this. Never in the campaign i felt strained by the the flux despite the amount of weapons i fire.

About the vanilla weapons combo with their ships. Most Valkyrian weapons deal energy damage but i think they benefit much more from Kinetic weaponry like the vanilla needler because they can instantly crush an enemy ship shield and open the way for their missiles. And Valkyrians have a lot of missiles.

A lancer/scorpion work but it doesn't work as well as a HVDs/annihilators combo in my opinion and experience. The Nirvana MK.II, with 4 medium and 3 small missiles mounts can spam Annihilators even better than an Onslaught and when you have 4 HVDs plus a MK.IX AC plowing your shield, there's not much an enemy cruiser (or even capital sometime) can do. But then again, it's not because Valkyrians weapons suck, it's because they have too much guns.

Still about the weapons, the IR-PD cannon is too strong. At 6 OPs, the IR-PD is a much better PD weapon than the dual MG, more ammo, more range... At every tests it took down more Pilums than the DMG did. A bit too good right now, especially when its built in some ships. The IR-PD laser however need two shots to take down a Pilum, it can intercept two lrms at best, sometimes 3 with expanded magazine.

In the end, Valkyrians have too many guns, way too many. Either you nerf their strength by reducing/removing some medium mounts, either you nerf their "weakness" by (heavily) reducing the shields arc and flux capacity/venting, or maybe a combination of both, given how strong they are it certainly won't kill them. They need to be vulnerable in some way. Right now missiles can't reach them and trying to crack them open with brute strength doesn't work either as they'll overwhelm your shield first.

Other than this, i found a few other issues.

As i said in the chat, the Legion lrm is broken. Infinite long range missiles will only lead to broken stuffs, if not for Valkyrian, then for another faction. They already have the Shadow lrm (although its range is surprisingly short for a lrm) that fill this role. The Legion really shouldn't exist, also it use II medium ballista sprite.

Speaking of sprite, the Ice lance have the same sprite as the concussion beam from Citadel, you might want to see this with Foxer.

The Scorpion MRM i think is a bit stronger than the Harpoon (more ammo which is better against frigates, faster missiles even though it's ROF is lower) but it's debatable. What is not debatable however is that the Scorpion is 2 OPs cheaper the Harpoon pod, not a good thing.

The Valkyrie MK.II is underpriced for such an incredible carrier. A mobile flight deck with two medium missiles and cheaper than an Condor? Hersey!

The Radiance redemption laser is too loud, like, uncomfortably loud.

A mistake in the Yoshura description "while its mobility is lacking" i think it should be "however its mobility is lacking".

The Ancord bomber CR cost is way too expensive. 20% per bomber deployed give it way too few replacement. By comparison a Trident wing is only 10%.

Also might be a good thing to add description to Infernium drive and Overcharge

I probably missed a lot of things but the main issue is here, too many guns, overall stats way too good. Nerfpls.

Holy S--- yeah, I totally agree w/ Helmut here. I remember my days of trolling around the galaxy with my Nirvana MkII, with the Cain cannon from I-fed (a very very overpowered weapon by itself) and a whole slew of PD... nothing survived... nothing... I am not that good aof a player so that is saying something.
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 09, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »

*wall of text*

I agree on all points really, it's a fun, good looking but clearly superior faction. However, one suggestion to possibly "fix" the current vanilla balance issue would be to simply make all valyrian guns follow the faction description more to the letter, and do significantly less damage than they do currently while reducing their ordinance point costs and decrease the valyrian ship's ordinance points accordingly. Then one would still get the admittedly awesome "gun spam" while not being massively superior in gun strengh compared to vanilla ships.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 10, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »

Guys, you're forgetting this was designed to be a boss faction, you're supposed to fight against them not stroll in their stuff, perhaps lowering your chances of getting their stuff?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »

Semi true, its a "WIP balanced" playable faction, that has a customized boss fleet for lvl 30+ players.

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

Guys, you're forgetting this was designed to be a boss faction, you're supposed to fight against them not stroll in their stuff, perhaps lowering your chances of getting their stuff?

Didn't know there was such a thing as a boss faction, though I guess the Templar may be one as well... The difference is you can't go and purchase Templar ships as far as I know...
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 11, 2014, 12:38:54 AM »

Didn't know there was such a thing as a boss faction, though I guess the Templar may be one as well...

Oh but some factions are made as bosses, templars and valks being the most known, there was another dude who tried to make one, crazy stuff but managed to get himself banned.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 11, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »

When i see "Vanilla Balanced" in the title, i don't immediately think of a boss faction. Only their Royal Armada can be considered as a boss fleet.

And to be honest, i would be butthurt to have a cool playable faction being lazy on the balance under the pretext of being a "boss" faction.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 11, 2014, 07:23:31 AM »

Balance is a fine line, will you sacrifice your original vision to bring it in line or will you try to be creative and do smth else with it?

Valks were intended as a faction with lost of guns, thick armor, slow turning and weak shields.

True, their fantastic pd and shield coverage makes flanking kinda tricky, and only in small bursts if you don't want to be melted by PD.

The ether drive is bonkers imo, slap extended ammo and why use anything else?

Telleporters are best used against them, problem is the small ones don't matter as much, stuff like the Hyperion/Medusa/Wolf don't have much staying power against the bigger ships.

Only a Karkinos and Pergon artillery cruiser can make short and (relatively) safe work of them. But using other mods for balance is not the way.    

Damn, the situation at hand is really complicated to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:44:01 AM by Sabaton »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 11, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »

my vision is/was, invulnerable to missiles. a lot of semi competent guns, crap shield, "decent" armor, and be equal or worse than vanilla at its finest, which in my tests, they are, my ships will more or less always lose 1V1 against a vanilla ship or ships of the same deployment cost, or be so heavily damaged after defeating them that further fighting would be completely impossible.

My super capitals, break these rules, they are intended for the boss fleet only, defeating that, you are effectively strong enough to annihilate any fleet in the sector with zero effort, so only then do i give the player these super caps so they can get some additional fun out of their game session, Askonia doesn't agree with me, but thats fixed in 0.65.

Player modifications, makes this faction absolutely *** and unbeatable, which is the case for any faction, but mine more than others because i have so many weapon slots normally occupied with point defence that can be switched to something else, i am properly addressing that matter in the future, along with other changes as HELMUT pointed out a few comments above.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 11, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »

i love playing this mod but since i updated to 1.4 i get a fatal error even when trying the mod on its own.
Fatal: Fatal: ship_systems.csv is missing systems

is there a way to fix this?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 11, 2014, 11:54:48 AM »

Did you delete the old mod folder before upgrading?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41