Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700077 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #405 on: April 09, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »

Actually, the emitter just targets the closest weapon with the Id you set it in the script, that will allow you to create a central "weapon" that the arcs can aim at to give that awesome portal look
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 09, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »

what do you mean "a projectile that impacts other projectile ?"
and im pretty sure PDs are hardwired to shoot at missile, its kindof part of the balance mechanism versus missiles. i mean, your missile will become way too strong if its homing and cant be hit by PDs, and if its not homing and youre worried about PDs, then why even make it a missile ?

also, i recall seeing a mod somewhere on another forum of starsector that had a penetrating mechanism, but that was done with modding illegally so of the code

Well, what I meant was a projectile that can impact other projectiles like a missile does. I wasn't sure if there was something I could do with the Collision Class string in the proj file. Im looking to make a weapon that is used to destroy enemy projectiles, either by firing a large projectile, or an array of smaller ones.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »

I know what you mean, like how to ballistic weapons can't intersect, correct? But a missile can hit another missile, and ballistic can hit missile
- Albert Einstein

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 09, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »

Exactly

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »

Ah, I see. Well you COULD just set up a bunch of missile weapons to mimic ballistics xD
- Albert Einstein

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »

Wouldnt PD attack the projectile then? That would look wierd havinga giant shockwave getting shot at by PD lasers ;)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 09, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

Wouldnt PD attack the projectile then? That would look wierd havinga giant shockwave getting shot at by PD lasers ;)

Shock waves? Doesn't Uozmoz Corvus have a ship in it that creates a huge shock wave? Causing all ships, ballistic and missiles to bounce away
- Albert Einstein

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 09, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »

I haven't seen any ship that creates a shockwave in UC.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »

Shock waves? Doesn't Uozmoz Corvus have a ship in it that creates a huge shock wave? Causing all ships, ballistic and missiles to bounce away
You're thinking of the gravity system on the capital ship in Blackrock Drive Yards, but it doesn't do that, it just slows ballistics and missiles down (unless there is something else like it)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »

You're thinking of the gravity system on the capital ship in Blackrock Drive Yards, but it doesn't do that, it just slows ballistics and missiles down (unless there is something else like it)

i know thule's been working on the herzog new system, the heimdall generator that basicly does a huge shockwave

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 10, 2013, 03:25:23 AM »

The shockwave system is on the Vatican Mk IV from the Valkyrians mod. The code is being reused for Thule's new system. :)

Also, I'd like to know if there is a way to create a projectile that is able to penetrate multiple targets.

also, i recall seeing a mod somewhere on another forum of starsector that had a penetrating mechanism, but that was done with modding illegally so of the code

That would be xangle13's armor penetration system, and it's actually implemented entirely within the API. Unfortunately it works by spawning a new projectile every frame there is a hit, so weapon ranges get really messed up.

I've had some luck making true armor piercing rounds by giving projectiles the CollisionClass NONE and using an EveryFrameCombatPlugin to handle collision checks/damage myself. I can polish up that code and release it if you want. :)

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55:35 AM »

The shockwave system is on the Vatican Mk IV from the Valkyrians mod. The code is being reused for Thule's new system. :)

That would be xangle13's armor penetration system, and it's actually implemented entirely within the API. Unfortunately it works by spawning a new projectile every frame there is a hit, so weapon ranges get really messed up.

I've had some luck making true armor piercing rounds by giving projectiles the CollisionClass NONE and using an EveryFrameCombatPlugin to handle collision checks/damage myself. I can polish up that code and release it if you want. :)

I appreciate the offer, but I dont know the first thing about coding, and I wouldn't know how to implement such code. Makes me wish I had a better C++ teacher back in high school who wasn't teaching out of C++ for dummies :(

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »

No worries, all you need to do is add a single line to the plugin and it does all the work. :)

Example:
Code
        // Projectile ID (String), pierces shields (boolean)
        PROJ_IDS.put("impaler_shot", false);

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »

Well, Im still working on sprites and such, so theres no rush at all. But if it get implimented in LazyLib, I know I'll use it :)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 14, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

not sure how the weapon.getId() works

does it return the id, display name, or something else?

so for example, if I get a mining blaster to call that, what's the return gonna be?
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 706