Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700048 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »

i THINK (that is a big think by the way :P) one or more of the weapon API hints is causing problems but i am not entirely sure

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »

Thank you :) Heres the "final" sprite, with the changes I proposed earlier.
As I said, with additional vertical line - an uninitiated viewer wouldnt know better.
(otherwise.. change the shading, had a leap of logic there..)

Spoiler
[close]

Edit - ill stop advert. right here. :p

Another question rises. I had an idea of using a "glow" from weapons to appear as..
sort of a energy barrier (for carrier hangars for example..)

However.. it doesnt show up in game, so my question is - is it possible to just use
"glow" from decorative weapons at all?

Looks like part of the sprite to me, even in the first version. And yeah, no glow for decorative weapons.

Spoiler
Error while loading, not sure what it means. All I did to change from the past version of the mod that is working was add one weapon 'irpulser' to the .csv and a renamed clone of the normal irpulse.

Code
7197 [Thread-6] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon [irpulser] from weapon_data.csv not found in store
7197 [Thread-6] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon [disruptors] from weapon_data.csv not found in store
7198 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Applying data from weapon_data.csv to [flarelauncher1]
7265 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum const class com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.WeaponAPI$AIHints.36
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum const class com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.WeaponAPI$AIHints.36
at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Enum.java:196)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.K.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.H.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.A.new(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Halp?
[close]

Right, probably something misspelled in the "hints" column in weapon_data.csv.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »

Im been thinking of somehow add a hullmod on the Startreker mod thats on a hold up for now, the general idea would be, depending on the damage type done to ship shields, that damage would be reduced on increased, so how it works. You can add a hullmod for 0 OP that will change make your shield stronger against a certain damage type, right now on vanila theres 4 types (not including EMP) High Explosive, Kinetic, Fragmentation and Energy, so adding a possible mod that when it takes Energy damage would reduce that damage by 50%, but if it took damage from High Explosive would take additional 50% damage, this becomes even better if you can create damage types just so you could use this mechanic to a whole new level, lets see, your in a Federation ship and you usually take on Dominion ships, so being able to take more hits from POLARON damage type would be ideal, so you equip a hullmod called Polaron Shield Polarity.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »

You wouldn't be able to transfer any damage the ship had taken to the next phase and the player would need to manually re-add the vents/caps/hullmods each time it evolved; other than that, I don't see any problems with the concept.

It might be frustrating if the player has no control over when it happens, though. :)

Thanks for anwsering.

Would there be a way to have the aging be reliant on let's say some kind of refitting.
So when a ship has reached a certain age it will be able to be refitted into the next lifephase through
a certain item or supplies?

As i wanted to implement a bio specific skilltree i wanted to add a designed flaw to the bio ships.
To reflect the fact that these ships are half sentient beings with a kind of free will it would be cool
to have a "forced" autopilot who kicks in randomly during battle and can't be cancled but with the right skill.

Would something like this be moddable?

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »

This is probably a silly question if you understand the Java structure, but my Fortran-addled mind is struggling- how would I apply a change to a mutableStat by 'default'? I'm trying to construct a hull that has a naff shield counterbalanced by a reduced overload time, which is doable with getOverloadTimeMod() in a hullmod but I'm not entirely sure how to make that a property of the vessel itself.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

During balance testing for Starfighter I noticed that the Command (Player-usable) variants of fighters have very different tactics than the fighters.

Will changing the Command Fighter's class from Frigate to Fighter change anything aside from the AI's tactics? Not sure if that would make them unable to be piloted by the player or not :/
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »

So, was trying to do some balance adjustments to skills... is there any way to make a skill that adds a fixed amount of ordnance points that varies by hull size?  I can make one that, for example, adds +10 ordnance points to all ships... which is nice for frigates, but almost meaningless for capital ships.  Ideally, I'd like a skill that, at 10 ranks, adds +10/+20/+40/+80 ordnance points, to frigates / destroyers / cruisers / capital ships, respectively.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2013, 07:40:02 AM »

This is probably a silly question if you understand the Java structure, but my Fortran-addled mind is struggling- how would I apply a change to a mutableStat by 'default'? I'm trying to construct a hull that has a naff shield counterbalanced by a reduced overload time, which is doable with getOverloadTimeMod() in a hullmod but I'm not entirely sure how to make that a property of the vessel itself.

The way to do that would be to write an EveryFrameCombatPlugin that applies this penalty, using ShipAPI.getHullSpec().getHullId() to figure out what ship to apply it to, and taking care to only apply it once.

During balance testing for Starfighter I noticed that the Command (Player-usable) variants of fighters have very different tactics than the fighters.

Will changing the Command Fighter's class from Frigate to Fighter change anything aside from the AI's tactics? Not sure if that would make them unable to be piloted by the player or not :/

Changing the collisionClass won't make a difference to the AI. So long as it's a ship, it'll continue using the ship AI, and not the fighter one - there's no way around that atm.

So, was trying to do some balance adjustments to skills... is there any way to make a skill that adds a fixed amount of ordnance points that varies by hull size?  I can make one that, for example, adds +10 ordnance points to all ships... which is nice for frigates, but almost meaningless for capital ships.  Ideally, I'd like a skill that, at 10 ranks, adds +10/+20/+40/+80 ordnance points, to frigates / destroyers / cruisers / capital ships, respectively.

Hmm. No way to vary it by hull size. A percentage bonus would be the best fallback, though I'm sure you'd already thought of that.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »

So, was trying to do some balance adjustments to skills... is there any way to make a skill that adds a fixed amount of ordnance points that varies by hull size?  I can make one that, for example, adds +10 ordnance points to all ships... which is nice for frigates, but almost meaningless for capital ships.  Ideally, I'd like a skill that, at 10 ranks, adds +10/+20/+40/+80 ordnance points, to frigates / destroyers / cruisers / capital ships, respectively.

Hmm. No way to vary it by hull size. A percentage bonus would be the best fallback, though I'm sure you'd already thought of that.

Dang.  That's a shame.  Even just looking at classic, we've got frigate hulls varying from 20-60 ordnance points (30-60 if we exclude freighters, 35-60 if we exclude the hound, too); I was hoping to adjust +OP skills to more evenly boost everything, rather than the current state where percentage bonuses make the best ships better, but don't do nearly as much for those ships that weren't quite as strong to start with.

Edit: Hm... Double-checking again, and - in general - larger ships tend to show less differences in ordnance points; it's mostly just frigates that have such wide variances.  Perhaps if I include a flat +10 ordnance points alongside a percentage bonus?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:21:37 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2013, 06:29:32 AM »

Trying to sort out my position light decorative, everything is working perfectly, but its still shooting shredders shells, and i can't get it out of the weapon groups. how do i go about fixing this?

My "Light" file
Spoiler
{
    "id":"light",
    "specClass":"projectile",
    "type":"DECORATIVE",
    "size":"SMALL",

"everyFrameEffect":"data.scripts.plugins.isHulkCheck",

"turretSprite":"graphics/weapons/decorative/light00.png",
    "hardpointSprite":"graphics/weapons/decorative/light00.png",

"numFrames":9,
    "frameRate":6,
    "alwaysAnimate":"true",

"turretOffsets":[0, 0],
    "turretAngleOffsets":[0],
    "hardpointOffsets":[0, 0],
    "hardpointAngleOffsets":[0],

"barrelMode":"ALTERNATING", # or LINKED.  whether barrels fire at the same time or alternate.
    "animationType":"MUZZLE_FLASH",  # NONE, GLOW, MUZZLE_FLASH, SMOKE
    "muzzleFlashSpec":{"length":0.0,   # only used if animationType = MUZZLE_FLASH
                  "spread":10,
                  "particleSizeMin":4.0,
                  "particleSizeRange":18.0,
                  "particleDuration":0.2,
                  "particleCount":25,
                  "particleColor":[255,150,30,200]},

"projectileSpecId":"shredder_shot",  # projectile that will be fired
   "fireSoundOne":"gun_mechanicals_medium_up_whirr",
   "fireSoundTwo":"gun_medium_2",   
}
[close]

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »

my turn !
im having trouble with the sound effect line in weapon codes. the file name entered dosent match the file name in the sound folder.
e.g.: in the pulse laser's weapon data, the sound effect line reads "energy_pulse" even tho the sound file that is used for this gun is "fire_beam_burst01"

so im wondering, when ill be modding my guns, what am i supposed to write on that line ?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »

my turn !
im having trouble with the sound effect line in weapon codes. the file name entered dosent match the file name in the sound folder.
e.g.: in the pulse laser's weapon data, the sound effect line reads "energy_pulse" even tho the sound file that is used for this gun is "fire_beam_burst01"

so im wondering, when ill be modding my guns, what am i supposed to write on that line ?

The sounds used in your weapon files and code are defined in data/config/sounds.json. If you look at this file, you'll see that it maps a key (in this case energy_pulse) to different sound files (fire_beam_burst01). So you put the key in your weapon file, and Starsector looks up what sound file is assigned to it.

Why is Starsector set up this way? Well, first of all, it means if you change your sound effect file, you only need to modify sounds.json instead of every single place that sound is used in the code. Second, you can have multiple sounds for the same key, in which case the game chooses a random sound from that list. This is very useful for repeating sounds like explosions or bullet collisions, since having the exact same sound play 30 times in a row is very noticeable. Finally, this setup means that multiple mods can add extra sounds for the same key without having conflicts.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

my turn !

The sounds used in your weapon files and code are defined in data/config/sounds.json. If you look at this file, you'll see that it maps a key (in this case energy_pulse) to different sound files (fire_beam_burst01). So you put the key in your weapon file, and Starsector looks up what sound file is assigned to it.

Why is Starsector set up this way? Well, first of all, it means if you change your sound effect file, you only need to modify sounds.json instead of every single place that sound is used in the code. Second, you can have multiple sounds for the same key, in which case the game chooses a random sound from that list. This is very useful for repeating sounds like explosions or bullet collisions, since having the exact same sound play 30 times in a row is very noticeable. Finally, this setup means that multiple mods can add extra sounds for the same key without having conflicts.

oooooh okay...
thanks !

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »

How would one go about updating .csv files after an update? I only started modding at 0.54.a so I haven't had to deal with an update yet. Do I have to add any new stats from the update to each ship (assuming there are any)?

If so, do I just stick them in any old column? Or do they have to be in the same order they're on in the vanilla .csv?

/annoyingquestionvoice
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »

ok, another one but very insignifiant.
in-game, in the weapon cards, under the weapon's name where it says stuff like "assault", "PD" and "no description yet"
where do i go to change that ? i cant seem to find it  ???
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 706