Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1699860 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

Well, the beam itself is narrow. It's the "corona" that necessitates the wideness.

I managed to make it look better with a much narrower beam, though, so no sweat either way. ;D Kudos for the quick answer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:31:41 PM by Cycerin »

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »

Is there any way to force the hit glow radius on a beam weapon? I made a custom graphic beam with a really wide sprite and the hit glow is enormous. Since beams dont have a proj file I'm not sure where to rectify this. And yes, I've tried adding glow radius and hitglow radius to the weapon file.
What if you leave blank space in the sprite on either side of the beam to force it smaller? If it's always 3X the size, then making the sprite bigger, if not the actual visible part, would force the engine to scale it down.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:23 PM »

Hey guys,

for my bioships i wanted to implement a mechanic which lets age the ships.
design wise i thought the bioships would come in fixed variants depending on the actual age of the ship. The ships
would have only build-in weapons. Only hullmods and the number of vents and capacitators could be changed.
For example you could buy a newborn ship (the stats like speed, armor etc. would reflect the age of the ship although)
and after a specific time the ship would have aged enough to enter its next phase of life.

Would something like this be moddable?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »

Hey guys,

for my bioships i wanted to implement a mechanic which lets age the ships.
design wise i thought the bioships would come in fixed variants depending on the actual age of the ship. The ships
would have only build-in weapons. Only hullmods and the number of vents and capacitators could be changed.
For example you could buy a newborn ship (the stats like speed, armor etc. would reflect the age of the ship although)
and after a specific time the ship would have aged enough to enter its next phase of life.

Would something like this be moddable?

You wouldn't be able to transfer any damage the ship had taken to the next phase and the player would need to manually re-add the vents/caps/hullmods each time it evolved; other than that, I don't see any problems with the concept.

It might be frustrating if the player has no control over when it happens, though. :)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »

I wished to ask, if it is possible to render a weapon below the ship sprite ?

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »

I was wondering this too. Space ships, despite the 2D nature of the game, should have to have on the bottom of them. Even just having the weapon render under the ship sprite would be good, since most of them would probably be mounted on the main body of a ship and you'd just have barrels sticking out from the bottom.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »

I wished to ask, if it is possible to render a weapon below the ship sprite ?

Not possible. If you're curious as to why:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2844.msg39103#msg39103

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »

If you're curious as to why:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2844.msg39103#msg39103

Not even a small missile?  :(

On a serious note - i see why its not implemented. Will have to deal with it, somehow..

Thanks Alex :)

Edit - Just, out of pure and obscene curiosity .. Do Large "Decorative" weapons render above small (missile) weapon mounts ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:49:30 PM by MrDavidoff »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »

Edit - Just, out of pure and obscene curiosity .. Do Large "Decorative" weapons render above small (missile) weapon mounts ?

So long as they're in a "turret" type slot, yeah. Turrets render above hardpoints, and within each type, larger weapons render later.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »

So long as they're in a "turret" type slot, yeah. Turrets render above hardpoints, and within each type, larger weapons render later.

Please dont take it, like I want to stubornly go against "rules" at all costs, its a.. visual matter really. But basicly what I would like is to get two, what an outsider viewer would see as
"two pipes" above a rocket pod. Now.. what I thought to do was somewhere in the lines..

1) make a sprite as usual
2) the missile pad (which would be a hardpoint)
3) on top of that place a "decorative" weapon - turret, as I believe you would advice, which would merely be those two pipes and with 0° arc it would stick
in position. (and be above the missile pod)

So.. in hull codex you would see a ship, without any "weird extra stuff".. and in variant codex - the real stuff. If composed on top of each other correctly and precisly,
the result would be a "fake" perspective, as the pod in below the pipes (in my case at lower part of the frigate).

Basicly..just help the current system with a "fake" ship part, which is small, so in battle it shouldnt be noticable.

Would that work?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »

Sounds like it should work. If the decorative weapon was built-in, it should even show up in the hull codex entry.

Definitely not taking it the wrong way. The link I posted above explains why *I* am not doing that or adding explicit support for it. You, on the other hand, are welcome to abuse the system in whatever ways you want :) In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

As you wish, though I have to say Im not pleased with how the ship sprite actually turned out,
will probabyl still swap colors around, but - everything else works, as its suposed to. :)

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

If I add another vertical line on the "Wing Articulation" as I named the weapon,  (or simply-pipe) I think it wouldnt even be recongnizable, that theres an additional layer above the normal sprite at all.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

Very cool!

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »

Thank you :) Heres the "final" sprite, with the changes I proposed earlier.
As I said, with additional vertical line - an uninitiated viewer wouldnt know better.
(otherwise.. change the shading, had a leap of logic there..)

Spoiler
[close]

Edit - ill stop advert. right here. :p

Another question rises. I had an idea of using a "glow" from weapons to appear as..
sort of a energy barrier (for carrier hangars for example..)

However.. it doesnt show up in game, so my question is - is it possible to just use
"glow" from decorative weapons at all?

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »

Error while loading, not sure what it means. All I did to change from the past version of the mod that is working was add one weapon 'irpulser' to the .csv and a renamed clone of the normal irpulse.

Code
7197 [Thread-6] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon [irpulser] from weapon_data.csv not found in store
7197 [Thread-6] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon [disruptors] from weapon_data.csv not found in store
7198 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Applying data from weapon_data.csv to [flarelauncher1]
7265 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum const class com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.WeaponAPI$AIHints.36
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum const class com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.WeaponAPI$AIHints.36
at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Enum.java:196)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.K.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.H.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.A.new(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Halp?
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 706