Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1699666 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #3360 on: May 20, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »

Re: launch bays defined on ships -

The game will go through the ship's fighter bays and assign a .ship launch bay to each. If the number of .ship launch bays is less than the number of fighter bays, it will cycle through launch bays, so multiple fighter bays may get the same launch bay.

When launching fighters, a fighter bay will cycle through what you're calling the "ports" of its assigned launch bay to pick the exact location where a fighter will take off or land.

Also, can ships that have launch bays, but don't have defined fighter wings repair friendly fighters?

No - fighters are 100% tied to the launching ship.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: May 20, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »

@Aron0621:

You can play a sound for that by running an EveryFrameCombatPlugin that watches for the new Missile type, and then plays the sound.  You'll need to build a list of Missiles that have already played a sound and not allow them to do it again, among other details.  You might want to read through Vacuum's code dealing with special shot behaviors at some point to get a basic idea of how to go about that, if you're not already conversant with Java's functions for dealing with this sort of issue.

As for playing the sound:

SoundAPI playSound(String id, float pitch, float volume, Vector2f loc, Vector2f vel);
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: May 20, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »

Re: launch bays defined on ships -

The game will go through the ship's fighter bays and assign a .ship launch bay to each. If the number of .ship launch bays is less than the number of fighter bays, it will cycle through launch bays, so multiple fighter bays may get the same launch bay.

When launching fighters, a fighter bay will cycle through what you're calling the "ports" of its assigned launch bay to pick the exact location where a fighter will take off or land.

In other words, the only effect number of bays/ports has - is the time it has to launch fighters, which is irrelevant anyway?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: May 20, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »

are campaign level fleet AI more or less hardcoded? Is there a way to mod their behavior somehow?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: May 20, 2017, 12:02:30 PM »

In other words, the only effect number of bays/ports has - is the time it has to launch fighters, which is irrelevant anyway?

It has no mechanical effect whatsoever.

are campaign level fleet AI more or less hardcoded? Is there a way to mod their behavior somehow?

Technically, it can mostly be overridden using these CampaignPlugin methods:
public PluginPick<AssignmentModulePlugin> pickAssignmentAIModule(CampaignFleetAPI fleet, ModularFleetAIAPI ai);
public PluginPick<NavigationModulePlugin> pickNavigationAIModule(CampaignFleetAPI fleet, ModularFleetAIAPI ai);
public PluginPick<StrategicModulePlugin> pickStrategicAIModule(CampaignFleetAPI fleet, ModularFleetAIAPI ai);
public PluginPick<TacticalModulePlugin> pickTacticalAIModule(CampaignFleetAPI fleet, ModularFleetAIAPI ai);

But that's pretty complicated. In practice, what you want to do is give it specific assignments to force certain behaviors (i.e. "go here", "hold here", "pursue this", etc.)

See: CampaignFleetAIAPI.addAssignment(), clearAssignments(), etc.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: May 20, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »

Does the total number count for the repair speed or number of fighters that can be repaired at once or is it just for show?

Literally just for show.

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: May 20, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »

Got a few questions actually.

Is it possible to:

1.) Create a hullmod that can only be found on other ships?

2.) Create weapons that can only be installed on a ship with a specific hullmod?

3.) Add hullmods as being 'stock' to a ship that can be uninstalled like restoration, but through a different command/button?

4.) Add weapons to a ship that cannot be removed unless a certain hullmod is removed?

5.) Have certain ships be only recoverable with certain equipment/hullmods?

6.) Create a system to convert ships between variants? (Like one variant with more small weapon mounts and another with more large weapon mounts?)

7.) "Lock" an ability or hardpoints on a ship as long a certain hullmod is installed or not installed?

8.) Make it so that a certain module type "must" be installed on a ship to deploy it in battle, but so that several different modules can fill this role?

My idea is an AI faction similar to the Remenants and Domain drones, only I want them to be modular and have... unique effects to balance out the fact that they will, in a way, be overpower.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »

Got a few questions actually.

Is it possible to:

Spoiler
1.) Create a hullmod that can only be found on other ships?

2.) Create weapons that can only be installed on a ship with a specific hullmod?

3.) Add hullmods as being 'stock' to a ship that can be uninstalled like restoration, but through a different command/button?

4.) Add weapons to a ship that cannot be removed unless a certain hullmod is removed?

5.) Have certain ships be only recoverable with certain equipment/hullmods?

6.) Create a system to convert ships between variants? (Like one variant with more small weapon mounts and another with more large weapon mounts?)

7.) "Lock" an ability or hardpoints on a ship as long a certain hullmod is installed or not installed?

8.) Make it so that a certain module type "must" be installed on a ship to deploy it in battle, but so that several different modules can fill this role?

My idea is an AI faction similar to the Remenants and Domain drones, only I want them to be modular and have... unique effects to balance out the fact that they will, in a way, be overpower.
[close]

Whoa. You have some weird ideas, but from my inexperienced modding standpoint, here's some answers.

1: Should be! Just make a hullmod that's "Hidden" (so it doesn't appear normally in the refit screen), but it will still show up as a hullmod on ships that use it in their variant file. It ought to have a chance of dropping as battle loot like any other hullmod.

2: I think with some scripting you can make certain weapons more/less expensive and such. See Tartiflette's Outer Rim Alliance mod, the ships of which include a hullmod that make beam weapons more expensive to fit (for balance purposes). In your situation you could make certain weapons cost an arbitrarily large quantity of Ordnance Points, making them unequippable.

3: Not without heavy scripting, and completely rewriting a bunch of the stock game's UI.

4: Not without heavy scripting, and even then I doubt it's possible.

5: Maybe. Don't know. Probably requires scripting anyway.

6: Yep! Requires scripting, but it's been done before in such mods as Interstellar Imperium and Tiandong Heavy Industries, which both have market tabs where you can drop off ship classes to be converted over time into something else.

7: Not without heavy scripting, and even then I doubt it's possible.

8: Not without heavy scripting, and even then I doubt it's possible.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #3368 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »

Attempting to reproduce MIRV behavior with some tweaks. The game crashes whenever it tries to go second stage - apparently I am using spawnProjectile() wrong way.

1. What is the correct way of using spawnProjectile()?

2. How can I get a weapon that fired a specific projectile(one of the parameters of spawnProjectile())?

3. Can I edit spawned projectiles? i.e. speed, damage, damage type, etc
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:49:47 AM by Aron0621 »

c0nr4d1c4l

• Commander
  • Local forum transient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: May 20, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »

What would I need to do so that the AI accepts the sacrifice of a massive ship?
"Slap slap slap, clap clap clap"

Head salesman and CEO of the Discount Shipyard

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: May 21, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »

Good grief, *faceslap*. Spent an entire day attempting to merge two of my customized mod folders as one, the first is/was for the previous .7+ version of the game and then my recent new one with a fewer but new stuff in it. I couldn't figure out why sometimes it booted up and sometimes didn't and later, only to realize that about 10+ hours later that the only error I had left to overcome was with altered weapons from the last version of the game and so they didn't have the new slot for that rarity feature/tag in-between so I only had to add one extra comma for the older weapons.

Always this tiniest of details you manage you miss and then realize "Well, what the- that was this EASY the whole time to fix!?! Ugh. >_<". I'm both laughing and beating myself over the fact that I spent way too much time trying to find a simple-arse problem that was right under my nose. Good thing is I managed fix it and got my modified stuff together into one personal mod folder in a way that I don't have to switch between the two folders I had, and that 10+ hours at least in the end payed off its mild to medium irritation it had on me. Its just that I spent more time trying to fix a problem than modding and re-modding stuff in. :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:14:38 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:12 AM »

I want update some thing on wikipedia, but I have not idea for somethings:
Wing_data.csv:

Tag:
ex:"interceptor1, interceptor, low"

For be precise,
-what is the difference between interceptor1, 2 or 3? (And more?<)
-The second seems always the first without the number, so what is this?
-The third is strange, low, middle or high,  but I do not found on  combat what is this.
=Tag change something on combat, or just the role?
=Tag is used for the auto-fit?

AttackRunRange is always more low than range, they attack always when ennemi is in the range?

Rarity: Chance on the market, no problem, I think.
Tier: For know, they change something on the game? (Or maybe just when you auto-fit?)

Ship data . csv:

8/6/5/4%: Alex answer always to that, but for be sure, what is this?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:32:48 AM by Snrasha »
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: May 22, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

I want update some thing on wikipedia, but I have not idea for somethings:
Wing_data.csv:

Tag:
ex:"interceptor1, interceptor, low"

AttackRunRange is always more low than range, they attack always when ennemi is in the range?

Rarity: Chance on the market, no problem, I think.
Tier: For know, they change something on the game? (Or maybe just when you auto-fit?)

8/6/5/4%: Alex answer always to that, but for be sure, what is this?

@Snrasha,

The tags for fighter wings in wing_data.csv are used by the Autofit system. Usually, the first word is the fighter's primary role and how good it is, so "interceptor4" is a better interceptor than "interceptor3", which is better than "interceptor2" and so forth. The second word I believe is an alternative role. It may be the same as the first, or different. If different, it means the fighter can be used as something else if it really needs to be. The third word I believe is the tech level, so "low-tech", "midline", and "high-tech".

I think AttackRunRange is approximately how far out from a target fighters will open fire. This is important for bombers with torpedoes and such, to make sure the fighters get close enough to be most effective without getting destroyed by point defence.

Rarity is market chance, yes. As I was recently informed, it is a decimal multiplier of the normal spawn rate, so "0.1" means the item is 10 times rarer than a default rarity item. The smaller the number, the more rare the item is.

Tier is a more rough estimation of the item's tech level, although I believe the game treats this value differently to the "low/mid/high" bit in the "tags" column. From what I have gathered, Tier portrays where items can spawn in markets - you won't get really high-tech items spawning in the Jangala open market, for instance.

The last one I can never remember, but it has something to do with flux capacity. If you're in doubt, just set its value to the same as the ship's flux capacity.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: May 23, 2017, 03:56:34 AM »

Would anyone know what is required to see changes made to a fighter wing reflect themselves in the Campaign?

I decided to root around and make some basic changes to fighter wing resupply cost & fighters per wing, the game runs fine, until I move to the main system associated with the manufacturer of said fighter wings.

I get a Fatal Error 10

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: May 23, 2017, 05:37:37 AM »

Question - I want to make a booster module. As in, attach a solid fuel rocket to your ship for a temporary speed boost. The idea is that it would give you +X speed for Y seconds in battle.

Making a hullmod to give extra speed it easy. But how to turn it off after Y seconds?
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 706